100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are some of the companies I've purchased FD foods from in the past. Some come in pouches and some in #10 cans. Only just recently I went into an REI and other camping stores to discover there are a few more companies to add to the mix.

Freeze Dried Food | Freeze Dried & Dehydrated Breakfast, Entree's, & Desserts
Freeze Dried Food | Mountain House
Survival Food & Emergency Food Storage | Wise Food Storage
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-High/b/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Thrive Life - A more convenient way to prepare your meals.
Emergency Food Storage | Augason Farms

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great write up - I know you have been recommending one of these to me since Overland and I have to say this is pretty perfect for the trail
If you were to buy again which one would you get?

What are your favorite meals you have found?

Pretty soon we are going to have to have a sub forum for Gourmet trail food and camp cooking
I wasn't sure how much I would use it so I went with the jet boil to save $50. If I did it again I'd get the MSR just because it is the best and I have a complex that needs to be fed lol. It also has a bigger cup to use seperate that I like.

I'd sell mine if somebody wants it. But both are very good units. If someone is just using it for trail rides the jetboil is the way to go.

I'll post some pics of my favorite meals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
@Cuoutdoors how long does it take the stove to cool down enough to pack back up?

We rode with some guys at RRB one year that decided to have lunch when we got lost off some logging trails. They pulled out a charcoal grill...sausage, kielbasa, bologna, hot dogs, and various other grill foods and ate for about an hour....we were pissed finally we told them we were leaving with or without them. since then we haven't ridden with them but i have seen pictures of their rides with a full on shrimp saute going on trail side. im all for hot food, but im more of an ammo can strapped to the header pipe heating up my burrito than a trail side emril

.......BAM!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Cuoutdoors how long does it take the stove to cool down enough to pack back up?

We rode with some guys at RRB one year that decided to have lunch when we got lost off some logging trails. They pulled out a charcoal grill...sausage, kielbasa, bologna, hot dogs, and various other grill foods and ate for about an hour....we were pissed finally we told them we were leaving with or without them. since then we haven't ridden with them but i have seen pictures of their rides with a full on shrimp saute going on trail side. im all for hot food, but im more of an ammo can strapped to the header pipe heating up my burrito than a trail side emril

.......BAM!

We cooked burgers and dogs on the trail this weekend at rrb. The stove cools off fairly fast after though. I did 12 burgers on our little portable grill and by the time I got someone to eat all of them, I was able to package everything up and put it in the back of @my99svt Ride for transport. He did talk me out of putting the propane bottle inside the grill in case it was too hot. Probably would have been fine but we err’d on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

.......BAM!
Honestly about 2 minutes. After I pour the boiling water in the bag I only wait a minute or 2 and then put everything away while the noodles in my food cook. It cools extremely fast.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We cooked burgers and dogs on the trail this weekend at rrb. The stove cools off fairly fast after though. I did 12 burgers on our little portable grill and by the time I got someone to eat all of them, I was able to package everything up and put it in the back of @my99svt Ride for transport. He did talk me out of putting the propane bottle inside the grill in case it was too hot. Probably would have been fine but we err’d on the side of caution.

Love my little propane grill...its easy to pack and cools down quick too.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R

For some reason I didn't want a potential ticking time bomb behind me!

advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Tigermark probably drinks expresso mocha latte cappuccino with whipped cream now that he lives on the west coast with his pinky finger straight out every time he sips. Lol
Orig

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How's their coffee? Their little gun bunny that bounces around in an American flag bikini to advertise it is nice to look at but it's kinda pricey for coffee isn't it?

Coffee is outstanding and although it may be a little more expensive I think spending less for something that's not as good is a waste of money. Try it, you'll like it. I like the "murderers out" the best.

ALM76

ALM76

L-I-V-I-N
Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2017
Lancaster, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Coffee is outstanding and although it may be a little more expensive I think spending less for something that's not as good is a waste of money. Try it, you'll like it. I like the "murderers out" the best.

I second that!
I drink the "Just Black" and cant go without it. I'm in the "coffee club" which is a little cheaper per box. Also I believe part of the purchase goes toward Veteran charities and they sent skids of coffee to the deployed free recently.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I second that!
I drink the "Just Black" and cant go without it. I'm in the "coffee club" which is a little cheaper per box. Also I believe part of the purchase goes toward Veteran charities and they sent skids of coffee to the deployed free recently.
Yes sir, the coffee club is the way to go.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wasn't sure how much I would use it so I went with the jet boil to save $50. If I did it again I'd get the MSR just because it is the best and I have a complex that needs to be fed lol. It also has a bigger cup to use seperate that I like.

I'd sell mine if somebody wants it. But both are very good units. If someone is just using it for trail rides the jetboil is the way to go.

I'll post some pics of my favorite meals.

Condition an price?

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement