W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice, but expensive and heavy.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

See how ya are...
I actually like the look a lot.. but a top mount winch would be my preferences. I may end up building a little something on to mine

IMG 1517

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually like the look a lot.. but a top mount winch would be my preferences. I may end up building a little something on to mine

View attachment 27662
Looks good on there! I didn't realize you already had it mounted when I made that comment. I would like the tough country but..will probably end up with one like that.
More in my price range.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How does the additional weight of this bumper affect the ride and handling?

That is an interesting question and something I haven't thought about.

Weight hanging cantilevered out over the front like that will exacerbate the effect.

Anyone have an idea of what the factory bumper weighs?

If it is 60 lbs and this is 70lbs, it probably won't be that much of an effect. If the factory one is 20lbs and this one is 50 lbs heavier, that would probably be noticeable.

Your treading on my dreams man! ;)

(Sorry W.B. Yeats)

advertisement
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have mine off now making my winch mount and have added a 5" X 12" piece of 3/16" plate. I'll weight it tomorrow but I'm guessing between 20-30 pounds. I'll weigh it when it's finished and see how much I've added.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the Honda brush guard like @JTW just mounted. I liked the looks of it, but definitely did not like the winch mount location. It causes a severe angle in the winch cable, and a PITA trying to operate the free spool knob. Not to mention the winch always being in the mud and you can't really get to it to clean it off. I also bent the Honda brush guard a couple of times... the last time I bent the bash guard trying to push up on a rock, I decided I was done with it. It's not nearly as durable as the Tough Country. I'd estimate the Honda brush guard at 35lbs and the Tough Country at 60lbs. You don't get better durability without added weight. You can feel a difference in handling with the added weight from the Tough Country and the winch being out in front of the wheels instead of between them, but it hasn't bothered me. I have not added the spring spacers. I'm planning to order some Elkas in the next few days anyway.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I weighed the factory bumper that came on my three seater, it was almost 20 pounds. The plate I added is 3 pounds, so the factory bumper is 16-17 pounds.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I love the fuel injection on my Pioneer and daily drivers. IMO the best thing to happen to cars since the horsepower wars in the 60's. The hot rod is a different story though, it's not worth the money and time to convert it.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I weighed the factory bumper that came on my three seater, it was almost 20 pounds. The plate I added is 3 pounds, so the factory bumper is 16-17 pounds.
For the record I didn't weigh either one, just estimating by my memory of what it took to hold each up and mount it.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter and JTW
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As far as I know, I think I was the first or second to put a tough country bumper on mine. There's a thread on here with pics somewhere. I work about 2 hours from El Campo, and drove to pick it up as soon as it was out of powder coating. Anyway, it is heavier, but the cheap aluminum spring spacers brought it back about perfect. Love the bumper! They also cut me a deal on their brand of light bar - seems it was another $125 more and normally runs a couple hundred or so. Light bar has been good so far.

Waylan

Deltamud

Deltamud

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2015
Florence, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey I have tough country bumper and want to order LED light for it but it's at my Farm. Does anyone have one handy that could give me the measurements as to what size light I need to order?