Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got it all put back together and it clicks like it's supposed to but I have a question, when you put your two front axles back in they don't seem to seat as deep as they did before, small gap right at the case. I pushed and wiggled them in and even jack up each side of the machine just to help push them in. Is this something that will right itself with some riding?
So did the axles ever seat completelyo_O

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So did the axles ever seat completelyo_O

There is still a small gap but I guess that's normal. After everyone else's feedback I said screw it and ran it. Took it easy for the first few miles and everything seemed fine, functions like it's supposed to.

C

Chooglin

I finally ordered mine yesterday! Ive been dumping tons of time and money into the wifes P1000, so I decided it was time to treat myself! Now I gotta study up all the install videos. :)
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the locker. I know you ride in some pretty harry stuff , so it would be nice to see some videos from you , after the install

Last edited by a moderator:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Mine should be in Tuesday but will probably wait til it warms a bit to do the install! What Diff fluid did you guys use after installo_O

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Mine should be in Tuesday but will probably wait til it warms a bit to do the install! What Diff fluid did you guys use after installo_O

I went with Royal purple 75w-140w. The heavier weight quiets the rear end down a little more. One qt will get it.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 86934 In case anyone was wondering what an install of Locker is by a Honda shop.
Wow, it took a Honda mechanic 7 hours to install it. I talked to a guy in PEI that works for The Honda dealer over there, and he said his buddy, that is a Honda mechanic, did it all in three hours. It had to be the first one they’ve done. Screw that , figure it out before you start. Haha crazy. I think I’ll wait till they put a few in. Haha
Caper

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wow, it took a Honda mechanic 7 hours to install it. I talked to a guy in PEI that works for The Honda dealer over there, and he said his buddy, that is a Honda mechanic, did it all in three hours. It had to be the first one they’ve done. Screw that , figure it out before you start. Haha crazy. I think I’ll wait till they put a few in. Haha
Caper

You can do it yourself, it's not that hard and the instructions are pretty easy to follow. I'm definitely not a gear head, it's just not my thing, and I did it. ;)

D

Duckhunt

Just an FYI for those of you like me that was contemplating power steering but hadn't got it yet, you will need it after the locker. For my experience it was more the change in feel from when the front tires ratchet apart and then lock back together in and out of trail corners is what made me get the PS.

Example: I'd be trails (in 2wd), see the corner ahead, start the turn into the corner and about 1/4 way through the outside front tire would start ratcheting like it should and the wheel immediately becomes much easier and I'd dart way to the inside. Then powering out of the corner the fronts would lock together - again like they should - and the wheel would get tight and you'd dart to the outside. Again it's more the change in resistance than the amount of resistance in the wheel.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an FYI for those of you like me that was contemplating power steering but hadn't got it yet, you will need it after the locker. For my experience it was more the change in feel from when the front tires ratchet apart and then lock back together in and out of trail corners is what made me get the PS.

Example: I'd be trails (in 2wd), see the corner ahead, start the turn into the corner and about 1/4 way through the outside front tire would start ratcheting like it should and the wheel immediately becomes much easier and I'd dart way to the inside. Then powering out of the corner the fronts would lock together - again like they should - and the wheel would get tight and you'd dart to the outside. Again it's more the change in resistance than the amount of resistance in the wheel.
Check your linkages. If I understand how these lockers work correctly. They should ratchet 24/7 unless in 4wd.

Edit: Unless your 2wd was a typo.

Reactions: Chooglin and Caper
D

Duckhunt

Check your linkages. If I understand how these lockers work correctly. They should ratchet 24/7 unless in 4wd.

Edit: Unless your 2wd was a typo.
The locker doesn't know you're in 4wd or 2wd. Because of the force applied to the differential itself in 4wd it is easier to ratchet in 2wd, but nevertheless regardless of 2wd or 4wd it takes a certain amount of force to get them to ratchet. And as Torq Locker explained it's not that one side slows down it's the other, or outside, that speeds up. If I jack up one side right now I can get it to ratchet. It's working fine. If I'm stopped, turn the wheel, and give it gas it'll ratchet from the moment I start to move. It's all designed on forces applied to and against. Hope this makes sense! LOL

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
The locker doesn't know you're in 4wd or 2wd. Because of the force applied to the differential itself in 4wd it is easier to ratchet in 2wd, but nevertheless regardless of 2wd or 4wd it takes a certain amount of force to get them to ratchet. And as Torq Locker explained it's not that one side slows down it's the other, or outside, that speeds up. If I jack up one side right now I can get it to ratchet. It's working fine. If I'm stopped, turn the wheel, and give it gas it'll ratchet from the moment I start to move. It's all designed on forces applied to and against. Hope this makes sense! LOL
Exactly, it will always allow the outside tires to go faster like when making a turn but when they spin it will not allow the tires to go slower so they stay lucked in.

Reactions: Caper and Duckhunt
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
You can do it yourself, it's not that hard and the instructions are pretty easy to follow. I'm definitely not a gear head, it's just not my thing, and I did it. ;)
Haha, thanks again Trigger. I have two brothers that are good mechanics. Just gotta get one to do it. Haha. No drinking till AFTER it’s done. I’ve been hinting that he’s going to do it. The one with the RZR. He’s scared to follow me now. Haha
Caper

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Install not bad, just take one step at a time. As said, removing the small pin requires a small diameter punch to make removal easy, and have a point punch to re dimple and secure it in afterwards. Well worth it.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the locker. I know you ride in some pretty harry stuff , so it would be nice to see some videos from you , after the install
No prob Choogs! I'm sure its as awesome as everybody says. I will definetly post, pics, vids, and thoughts. :)

Last edited:
advertisement