CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Looks like Wednesday this week is my day to do it. I will let you know how it works out... or doesn't.
Don’t go in with the attitude that it HAS TO BE DONE BY a certain time or day. Go in knowing it’s one step at a time, baby steps.

Same as “How do you eat an elephant?”

One bite at a time.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
When I do something like installing a locker I always end up with spare parts 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 it’s not because I planned it that way 🤣🤣🤣on a positive note my p500 is lighter then most 🤣🤣🤣🤣

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Double checking as I prep for install... This is correct gear oil for P500, right?
0D4B8D3C 3218 4C95 B81B E592C239497C

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Another question as I plan the attack on this... Is it necessary to completely remove the A-arms and brake calibers, or is it possible to just disconnect the knuckle there instead?

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Another question as I plan the attack on this... Is it necessary to completely remove the A-arms and brake calibers, or is it possible to just disconnect the knuckle there instead?
Another tag on question - does/did anyone have a link to the right size punch needed for the pin? I know @futzin mentioned at one point he had to run to the store to get a punch that was narrow enough. I'd like to order the right one and have it on hand.

Reactions: J80
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Just unbolt the lower arms from the frame and drop the front of the skid plate.

Link to my (short) install write up (post #31):

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just disconnect the brake caliper and bungee it back. Can't remember what I did with the A arms.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Another tag on question - does/did anyone have a link to the right size punch needed for the pin? I know @futzin mentioned at one point he had to run to the store to get a punch that was narrow enough. I'd like to order the right one and have it on hand.

The right size drill bit is more critical.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
After talking to a few guys and doing some more research, I am going to bow out on the locker install at this point 🤣 . I kind of want to see what the machine can do without it. I am usually one to learn the hard way with things, so I might still end up installing it at some point. This video might provide some additional visualization/info regarding the pin...

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
After talking to a few guys and doing some more research, I am going to bow out on the locker install at this point 🤣 . I kind of want to see what the machine can do without it. I am usually one to learn the hard way with things, so I might still end up installing it at some point. This video might provide some additional visualization/info regarding the pin...

Dude! I am going to tell you if I can do it ... You can! I have the diff out, on a table ready to install the locker. I just need to pickup the right size punch tomorrow. For the most part I have done it myself to this point. My buddy (Futzin) had to come help me with some stubborn bolts I am not strong enough to loosen and lifting the diff to remove it. Here is why I say .. if I can do it so can you.. I am a desk-sitting, paper-pushing, stubborn FEMALE... who had to be taught how to place the wrench in order to loosen a bolt before starting this project. Just decide to do it, then do the research and get started.

85755CD5 13E0 4E66 983A D819FF6ED5A6
2FC7EDE9 878A 4E6D 8E5B DA6300CAEDA5

Last edited:
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Dude! I am going to tell you if I can do it ... You can! I have the diff out, on a table ready to install the locker. I just need to pickup the right size punch tomorrow. For the most part I have done it myself to this point. My buddy (Futzin) had to come help me with some stubborn bolts I am not strong enough to loosen and lifting the diff to remove it. Here is why I say .. if I can do it so can you.. I am a desk-sitting, paper-pushing, stubborn FEMALE... who had to be taught how to place the wrench in order to loosen a bolt before starting this project. Just decide to do it, then do the research and get started.

View attachment 272724View attachment 272719
I am not super worried about the install, but just am questioning if its truly needed for what I'm going to be doing with it. Nice work on yours!!

p.s. have you seen my debacle with push pins and phillips screws? Guessing torq locker is gonna be quite a bit more difficult than a seatbelt bypass 🤣

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Can anyone tell me where these go? They are not in my directions anywhere.
AADEEB6B D60D 4E80 B846 0C502EBB454E

Reactions: J80
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
If memory serves (and it usually doesn't), I'm thinking maybe they go on the front axles; something about the axles being more easily removable after this install... ?

Anyone (everyone) remember better?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I seem to remember something coming with it that wasn't needed, why exactly IDK? Glad to see you told these guys you were a female. Don't think you've divulged that info anywhere since being on the forum and I wasn't going to say anything unless you did. Always nice to see someone getting after it and especially a woman!

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I am not super worried about the install, but just am questioning if its truly needed for what I'm going to be doing with it. Nice work on yours!!

p.s. have you seen my debacle with push pins and phillips screws? Guessing torq locker is gonna be quite a bit more difficult than a seatbelt bypass 🤣

I was questioning that also when I bought mine. It was a huge benefit having Futzin's Critter to see with and without on the Torq Locker as well as several other upgrades. We took them out, traded machines back and forth, I had to adjust how I drive and approach certain obstacles without it. So it sealed the deal for me.

HAHA!!! Your abilities and mine seem to be right at the same level. Trust me I have made some real bone head moves on this install!

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
If memory serves (and it usually doesn't), I'm thinking maybe they go on the front axles; something about the axles being more easily removable after this install... ?

Anyone (everyone) remember better?

You are correct, as per usual!

advertisement