P1000 Tire Upgrades

irishnproud

irishnproud

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2019
Rockford, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have gone through some issues upgrading tires to the sizes I wanted so I thought I would share some of the info I collected. My 1000-5 LE is stock height with no suspension mods.

I purchased a set of LE take-off wheels/tires and sold the tires to put towards a 2nd set of tires. I went with Tensor Regulator 28x10 on all 4 corners which fit with no issues at all. I wanted some less aggressive tires for summer so I could run them on the pavement, would be less harmful to my lawn and the Regulators are also DOT approved if I decide to go the street legal route. Great tires so far!

The set of factory Bighorn 2.0 27x9/27x11 tires sold quickly and I got a decent amount of cash for them so I decided I would replace the original factory tires with a taller set. This would give me a higher stance and more aggressive tread for the snow drifts I'll run through in winter. This is where it got interesting.

I purchased a set of 28x9/28x11 Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's because I thought the height would be pretty close to the regulators (off set could be used for spare) and the factory tires did pretty well in the snow last year. When they showed up I was shocked to find that the height was significantly shorter than the factory 27's. I talked to my tire guy and neither of us could figure out why they were so short but luckily he let me return them and order another set.

I did a lot of research to find my best option for height, tread and what would actually fit. I ended up on the 29x9/29x11 Maxxis Bighorn Originals. I finally got them mounted up this past weekend and they fit without rubbing sitting level. I haven't articulated the suspension much but so far so good.

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks great!

Side note, I'm looking for a front LE take off rim or rim/tire for a spare.

I put same size as stock Tusk Terabites on mine. I was in a rush to street legal it and didn't do much research. Knowing that a size or two up would fit I would have gone that route based on looks alone since I don't have much seat time yet.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have gone through some issues upgrading tires to the sizes I wanted so I thought I would share some of the info I collected. My 1000-5 LE is stock height with no suspension mods.

I purchased a set of LE take-off wheels/tires and sold the tires to put towards a 2nd set of tires. I went with Tensor Regulator 28x10 on all 4 corners which fit with no issues at all. I wanted some less aggressive tires for summer so I could run them on the pavement, would be less harmful to my lawn and the Regulators are also DOT approved if I decide to go the street legal route. Great tires so far!

The set of factory Bighorn 2.0 27x9/27x11 tires sold quickly and I got a decent amount of cash for them so I decided I would replace the original factory tires with a taller set. This would give me a higher stance and more aggressive tread for the snow drifts I'll run through in winter. This is where it got interesting.

I purchased a set of 28x9/28x11 Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's because I thought the height would be pretty close to the regulators (off set could be used for spare) and the factory tires did pretty well in the snow last year. When they showed up I was shocked to find that the height was significantly shorter than the factory 27's. I talked to my tire guy and neither of us could figure out why they were so short but luckily he let me return them and order another set.

I did a lot of research to find my best option for height, tread and what would actually fit. I ended up on the 29x9/29x11 Maxxis Bighorn Originals. I finally got them mounted up this past weekend and they fit without rubbing sitting level. I haven't articulated the suspension much but so far so good.
Nice ride! On the bigHorns have u checked for rubbing or not yet? Do the 29" stay true to size or do they run small?

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI Honda of Russellville posted above has full sets of LE take offs for $699 including shipping. They may have others, that's all I asked about. I spoke to Rick.

Reactions: Isaiah
irishnproud

irishnproud

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2019
Rockford, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice ride! On the bigHorns have u checked for rubbing or not yet? Do the 29" stay true to size or do they run small?
I haven't had any rubbing but I haven't had much time to test it out and I've only ridden mild terrain so far.

I think they were 27" unmounted according to the tire guy. Mounted up they measured out to 28-3/4" if I remember correctly so pretty close to true.

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are looking for stock rims I would try Honda Of Russellville. They do a lot of custom stuff and apparently end up with a lot of extra sets of factory wheels. Good prices and guys to deal with also.

Honda of Russellville - Russellville, AR - Featuring Honda Motorcycles, Accessories, Parts, Service and Financing
(888) 753-0405

Funny u metion them i dont see much about them on this site but they r very good dealership to wrk with nothing but good to say bout them bought my last unit from them

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I hate when tires don't measure up to the side wall. It should be false advertisement!

There are a few really bad ones for 4x4s. 37 km2s measure 35.5 brand new. 39 pit bull rockers measures like 36". Almost all tsl tires are really bad as well. In similar fashion to your situation 36 Iroks are taller than 37 Iroks.... Lame

Looks like the 29s worked out better anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: CID and Lady01
advertisement
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sthe same tire I’m running 29” bighorns,except mine are 2.0 bighorns they’re take offs from a turbo can am.The thing that is interesting is that they say 8 ply rated.So far so good ,500 miles thru the desert of southern Nevada.Stock suspension on a pioneer 1000_5 ,no rubbing,they provide a much better ride.

R

Rmajrfullforce

Sep 27, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5

Any reason why you want back to bighorns from the tensors? I was thinking about upgrading max size to OEM LE 1000-5 tensors or the terrabites. Rolling on stock tires. Purchased a used 17 with 20 hours/250 miles

20211205 164115

irishnproud

irishnproud

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2019
Rockford, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just felt like the "paddle" like tread pattern and side lugs would give me better traction in the snow and went taller with them too. The tensors are more of a summer tire for me and would be the tire I would use if I go through the rest of the steps to go street legal since they are DOT approved.