Tire help Pioneer 1000-5

C

catbad

Jun 4, 2016
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I bought a pioneer that came with aftermarket STI Beadlock wheels and STI enduro Xts tires 30x9.5x14.

I’m looking for a change as I slide around when wet on my steep logging roads in TN. I’ve seen both the deluxe takeoffs with the bighorn 2.0 and the talon takeoffs that are 15” and have maxxis 6 ply radials for sale locally. Is one better than the other for what I’m looking for? Should I buy the whole wheel and tire and sell my setup or keep my aftermarket wheels and just change out the tires.pic is my current setup

1FAF4571 064B 42CF B959 EE61C2978088 9CDA7928 D7F9 4416 91DC 03F5BA0733C7

Reactions: Isaiah
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a pioneer that came with aftermarket STI Beadlock wheels and STI enduro Xts tires 30x9.5x14.

I’m looking for a change as I slide around when wet on my steep logging roads in TN. I’ve seen both the deluxe takeoffs with the bighorn 2.0 and the talon takeoffs that are 15” and have maxxis 6 ply radials for sale locally. Is one better than the other for what I’m looking for? Should I buy the whole wheel and tire and sell my setup or keep my aftermarket wheels and just change out the tires.pic is my current setup

View attachment 217598 View attachment 217599

Welcome to the club also from Tennessee. I would keep the rims and get new tires

Reactions: Backwoods
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Other WAY more experienced guys will be by shortly... But, the Light Truck Mud Tires (I have Tensor Regulators) like one of your pix above are not probably what you are looking for. Great for sharp rocks, gravel/rock trails but mud and loose terrain not great due to tighter lug pattern.

I think you are looking for a more open and aggressive lug pattern for slippery traction. But of coarse, this is a balance of what percentage of terrain you drive vs. want and the associated cost. I'd love to run more aggressive open lug tires, but boy I'd be chewing those up with the long rock/pavement I run. You'll get help shortly...

ETA - I would also keep your rims. If the pix are your current tires, they look in very good condition and you could sell those I'd imagine for a decent price.

H

HondaTech

Talon wheels make the Pioneer narrower than stock due to the offsets.

Just a thought