P1000 Tire Comparison - anyone done one?

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was at 14 for a while and it was still really harsh. Here's what I did. I let air out of the tire until I could start to see the tire flex at the ground. Then I checked pressure, 9 psi. That's where I have had them set ever since. Huge difference between 15 psi and 9 psi. Much smoother ride, and actually quite a bit more traction in the woods from the flex and larger contact patch.

I plan to keep going down until I feel I’ve hit the “no more” point. We ride in places with a good many roots and rocks so I pay extra close attention to how the tires act when we ride over them. Just taking it slow observing and adjusting right now. You are right, at 15 it’s still a little harsh. But after feeling what it was like at 25, 15 isn’t so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I plan to keep going down until I feel I’ve hit the “no more” point. We ride in places with a good many roots and rocks so I pay extra close attention to how the tires act when we ride over them. Just taking it slow observing and adjusting right now. You are right, at 15 it’s still a little harsh. But after feeling what it was like at 25, 15 isn’t so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did some riding yesterday that had quite a few rocks, stumps, and downed trees. I've been trying to abuse the tires in those situations to see if how they hold up (I bought 2 spares). So far I'm impressed. The pressure is low enough at 9 psi that it absorbs most of the impact from those obstacles and climbs easily over downed trees. And you will also observe a lot more traction when climbing when the pressure is lower. Got into some mud too, and they get the job done. I do put it in 4wd a lot more than I did with the stock tires in mud.