P1000 Those with knowledge...

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have very slight play in my hub/bearings.
2018, 70 miles.

What is allowable tolerance?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t see a spec for wheel bearings.

Reactions: JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does very slight mean? Any chance they got water in them and wiped out all the grease? Is the o-ring on the CV shaft?

J

JTW

I don’t think you should have any at 70 miles on an 18.... are you sure it’s in the hub?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have very slight play in my hub/bearings.
2018, 70 miles.

What is allowable tolerance?

Front or rear wheels?

The rear knuckles have plastic bushings that I’ve already had to replace. The bearings shouldn’t have play in them at your mileage, heck I’ve only got 2500 more miles and mine are tight.

Make sure the hub nut is tight?

Is the play a loose tie rod? Loose rack and pinion gear mesh? Loose a-arm bolts? Maybe it’s the upper or lower ball joints?

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Front or rear wheels?

The rear knuckles have plastic bushings that I’ve already had to replace. The bearings shouldn’t have play in them at your mileage, heck I’ve only got 2500 more miles and mine are tight.

Make sure the hub nut is tight?

Is the play a loose tie rod? Loose rack and pinion gear mesh? Loose a-arm bolts? Maybe it’s the upper or lower ball joints?

I noticed because I installed arched front arms and noticed during final checkdown of all bolts, etc.
Play is hub/bearings. Bushings are all new and tight. Tie rod end tight. Ball joints new and tight. All verified. To confirm it was the hub or bearings, first I always check side to side movement in the tire to feel for tie rod end, rack, etc. No play there. Next, I placed my pinky between the outer axle cup and the knuckle where the axle goes into the knuckle while someone else grabbed the top and bottom of the tire and pulled back and forth. When the tire is moved top to bottom, I can feel the cup pinch my finger against the knuckle slightly. This ruled out ball joints, etc. as the entire knuckle would move if it were that, not just the axle cup.
Drivers side tight at 110 lbs. Passenger side I have retorqued twice, and it reduced the play to almost being non-existent, but it's still there. Then, my concern became over-torquing. @JTW
Alas, the question of should there be any tolerance at all?
Sounds like the answer is no... Makes me wander what's up? Bearings were like new when I had everything apart.
@ToddACimer , regarding the axle o-ring, neither axle had an o ring on them. Axle nut threads, shoulder, splined back to 90 degree shoulder where it looks like the hub would seat, then convex shoulder where the bearing shoulder would seat. Definitely no o-ring on either axle as I always clean off the factory grease and re-grease before reinstalling hub onto axle splines.
I am OCD about my stuff, everything gets put out on shop cloths, cleaned, regreased (i.e. axle splines, inside hub).... Both bearings were full of grease from the factory also, and the retaining ring on the outboard side of the hub was covered in grease as well on both sides when I pulled everything apart.
Wander if they got rid of the o-ring for 2018 like they did the lower ball joint circlip per the parts fisce.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had several different brands of SxSs over the years and all of them had some play in the wheel bearings

Reactions: 500
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
@500, did you disassemble the axles and hubs when you put in the arched arms? I did not. I merely separated the steering knuckles from the arms while leaving steering, brakes, and axles attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@500, did you disassemble the axles and hubs when you put in the arched arms? I did not. I merely separated the steering knuckles from the arms while leaving steering, brakes, and axles attached.

O ya. Thor hammer couldn't separate the knuckle from the ball joint. Had no choice. Had to beat them out with a nut on the stud with a 10lb BFH to free them. Needless to say I bought new ball joints.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I bought new ball joints to start with. Mine were tight but I have had much more difficult ones than the P1K.

A few love taps with a 5 pound hammer on the knuckle near the ball joints and they popped free.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought new ball joints to start with. Mine were tight but I have had much more difficult ones than the P1K.

A few love taps with a 5 pound hammer on the knuckle near the ball joints and they popped free.

Not these...
They didn't speak the love language.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek