P1000 Thinking of selling and going Polaris

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to the SXS crowd. Been very happy so far with my Honda. Very quiet and with the upgraded Fox shocks I think it rides great. Looked hard at the Polaris when trying to decide. Have to admit they have a sharp looking rig. All my friends, including Polaris owners, told me to go Honda mainly to stay away from the belt drive. I had owned Honda products before and my own experience with the dependability of those confirmed my choice.
I do agree that if not a Honda the RMX would be top of the list.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
NO BELTS AND CVT TRANS!
The 700 has the same drive train as my 03 Rincon. Bought the Rincon used and it wasn't well maintained IMO. If it were any other brand it would not be still running IMO.
I'm still on the fence about buying a SXS. It will be a Honda.
Polaris way to many reliability problems.
Friend has a 2010 RZR 800 bought new with less than 3 K miles. He's in his 80"s now. Never abused. To many problems.

I bought my 700-4 new in 4/2014 and was used daily on the farm and occasional trail rides, i.e., dragons back and widowmaker at Royal Blue. For those of you that have been on these, you know what I’m sayin. LOL, we just came upon these and wasn’t turning back and said what the heck. To say the least, I will never do that again but the 700 handled it fairly well but not like the 1000-5’s I was with. The 700 is near bulletproof and I may have made a mistake by selling it and buying a 1000?

My friend bought a new ranger 900xp crew in ‘13 I think? It was/is used strictly on his farm, no trail rides, no mudding, no hill climbing, no fording of creeks, etc. Just checking fences, cows, etc. I can’t tell you how many times it’s been in the shop. He has replaced the fuel pump, ecu, belt, replaced all axles, front chunk and driveshaft for front wheel drive along with all the bearings.

I had my 700-4 almost as long as he has had his xp900 and the 700 has been everywhere including widowmaker and dragons back with no issues at all point ther than replacing the battery. I will NEVER own a Polaris, they’re complete JUNK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Personally I’d go 1000-5, most issues now are minor. I almost went 700-4 but am very happy I was talked into the 1000-5, just go new and check it over.

I really like the 1000-5 so far, it has more power, a little wider, a little longer, more stable, love the turf mode and hi/low ranges and the top speed is 67 vs 44-45 on the 700. The throttle is a little tricky at times but I can get used to it. The only concern I really have with the 1000 is the transmission. It has a lot of options to choose from which if you have to work on it it will most likely cost more to repair than the 700. Just my 2 cents.....

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the 1000-5 so far, it has more power, a little wider, a little longer, more stable, love the turf mode and hi/low ranges and the top speed is 67 vs 44-45 on the 700. The throttle is a little tricky at times but I can get used to it. The only concern I really have with the 1000 is the transmission. It has a lot of options to choose from which if you have to work on it it will most likely cost more to repair than the 700. Just my 2 cents.....

I’m not too worried about the trans, get a service manual these aren’t overly complex machines, a new clutch pack is less then $300. Also there is enough resources here most can get help or read about what others did to fix stuff. Also one should learn to do all their own work as it can get expensive paying the dealers even for the routine maintenanc on the Honda, I’m sure the others are just as expensive in this regard.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Polaris supposedly improved the clutch and belt life on the new Pro Xp RZR.

Instead they used the same belt and there under recall for exploding primaries, just saying.
Yep, I’ve seen this happen recently.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honestly, I am pretty easy on the machines. My average speed is probably about 10mph. I do take it in some very challenging terrain, and it’s good. Not having anywhere to put stuff, including a normal coffee cup, is total BS. It’s just not a well thought out machine, from an ergonomic standpoint. I would like some decent cab options for the cold, and that isn’t an option either.
I like the bench seat for 3 across seating. I use the bed also, so yamaha is out. Can am is loud from what I read, also a deal breaker. Mule pro fxt is a great machine, but no cab enclosures.

You said you want a cab and bench seat. If you want a cab i think the can am defender really has the best cab out there. They have heat/AC and everything you need. My buddy has a 4 door polaris and the can am is hands down a better cab. The can am is also far more reliable than the polaris.

Get the Defender HD10 you'll be glad you did.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Polaris supposedly improved the clutch and belt life on the new Pro Xp RZR.

Instead they used the same belt and there under recall for exploding primaries, just saying.
You haven't lived until you're standing by watching some guy in his 2 day old RZR XP Pro hit the mud hole that a couple Honda Ranchers just mosied on through and when he hammers down it sounds like a grenade going off. It threw clutch pieces through the plastics and he had metal chunks sitting on the back rack and his cooler. Only new one I have ever seen blow up, but holy hell did it explode. I've seen them blow out before on older machines but never as violently as that Pro XP.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You haven't lived until you're standing by watching some guy in his 2 day old RZR XP Pro hit the mud hole that a couple Honda Ranchers just mosied on through and when he hammers down it sounds like a grenade going off. It threw clutch pieces through the plastics and he had metal chunks sitting on the back rack and his cooler. Only new one I have ever seen blow up, but holy hell did it explode. I've seen them blow out before on older machines but never as violently as that Pro XP.
Truthfully I think Polaris makes their stuff for high speed dune and road riding, doesn’t shock me that happened, they also don’t do well being babied or going slow, they also wrap around trees easily.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My buddy that you met with the RZR turbo had a hi-lifter before that and his clutch blew up big time (shattered it to a million pcs in about a foot of water) in the WMA down the street from me. I had to go pull him out at 8 p.m on a Sunday night! And in the Turbo S he has now, 35 miles new......one day the turbo started to melt the air box. Takes it to dealer.......the guy says.....you have to keep it over 30 mph!! And what ever you do, don't get it wet 😂😂😂 I said I guess your moving to the dessert! 🤦‍♂️

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My buddy that you met with the RZR turbo had a hi-lifter before that and his clutch blew up big time (shattered it to a million pcs in about a foot of water) in the WMA down the street from me. I had to go pull him out at 8 p.m on a Sunday night! And in the Turbo S he has now, 35 miles new......one day the turbo started to melt the air box. Takes it to dealer.......the guy says.....you have to keep it over 30 mph!! And what ever you do, don't get it wet 😂😂😂 I said I guess your moving to the dessert! 🤦‍♂️
Polaris reminds me of the movie Gremlins. The thing is like a Mogwai and comes with instructions

2EB5A0C2 7BEE 4006 BA8B 762D6C18B926

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im going the opposite way honda
You need to spend $15 and fix your cup issue. Also there are door storage mods that cost under $30. Do you need/want a hard enclosure only? Number of options for most units for both hard and soft.

View attachment 241181

My wife has been riding me about not be able to fit her yeti cup in the cup holder to save me
You need to spend $15 and fix your cup issue. Also there are door storage mods that cost under $30. Do you need/want a hard enclosure only? Number of options for most units for both hard and soft.

View attachment 241181
My wife has been riding me about not be able to fit her yeti cup in the cup holder, to save me some research time what kind and where can I find those cup holders

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I got the feedback I expected. Good, or maybe not, to hear that Polaris is still not making a quality machine. I don’t want a full time cab enclosure, but when I’m elk hunting and leaving the cabin at 0430 I want to be enclosed, so yes, I need some sort of enclosure option. I have a hard coat windshield and a soft rear panel and a roof, none of them seal very well. I want a better system and some decent upper doors.
Fox shocks seem to make people happy, but I don’t want something that needs maintenance or service, so they are out. Maybe Can am is an option? I’ve heard they are LOUD though. Deal breaker. Thanks for the feedback

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I got the feedback I expected. Good, or maybe not, to hear that Polaris is still not making a quality machine. I don’t want a full time cab enclosure, but when I’m elk hunting and leaving the cabin at 0430 I want to be enclosed, so yes, I need some sort of enclosure option. I have a hard coat windshield and a soft rear panel and a roof, none of them seal very well. I want a better system and some decent upper doors.
Fox shocks seem to make people happy, but I don’t want something that needs maintenance or service, so they are out. Maybe Can am is an option? I’ve heard they are LOUD though. Deal breaker. Thanks for the feedback
I’m building mine for elk hunting and general rig, look at the Honda mid fabric panel and seizmik doors, don’t think you need to seal it all up fully. Everything needs maintenance, if you upgrade to a different unit the shocks are like anything, they aren’t lifetime. Question is do you want to spend $25k on a new machine or put $$ into what you have. For what your uses are the pioneer seems like the perfect baseline fit but with upgrades even better.

I bought my pioneer for $16k, putting $6-$7k in it takes me to what many other factory machines cost but it’ll fit my purpose way better then any factory offering.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
For the price they are hard to beat. They will last quite a while if you aren't subjecting them to harsh trails and abuse all the time. I'm at a little over 1k miles since I added them and I don't ride mild trails. No issues other than swapping to a non-progressive rear spring versus the factory progressive. That improved my ride a lot. If and when they start to lose their charge I'll deal with it.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Try this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
advertisement