Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome any and all to a thread that I hope will allow HAM ops to share information and photos.
Please jump in and share so those of us F.N.Gs can learn and maybe even help.
Any and all information is appreciated
The wife and I are both working aggressively to get our licenses currently.
I have attached a photo of my
father-in-laws tower antenna.
Back in the day I used to climb it to grease the cables and pulleys for the winch that would raise and lower it.

20200303 162252

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nice.

I guess it sure shoots the 30' from ground or 10' from roof rule all to hell 😂
I have a neighbor down the road that has a really nice set up, been meaning to introduce my self!

Reactions: Glock21user
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know he had to get several variances and have lights on it.

That's actually pretty funny.

I have a neighbor down the road that cheated and recently had a section added and put a motorized tower lift on it. Later in the evening he raises it quite a bit.
He's next to a major blacktop road that gets plenty of traffic.
Big balls I'd say. Someday some authority will likely notice.
With that said...in all the years I've been around this stuff I don't know anyone who's actually got in trouble. I've heard stories but no proof.

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's actually pretty funny.

I have a neighbor down the road that cheated and recently had a section added and put a motorized tower lift on it. Later in the evening he raises it quite a bit.
He's next to a major blacktop road that gets plenty of traffic.
Big balls I'd say. Someday some authority will likely notice.
With that said...in all the years I've been around this stuff I don't know anyone who's actually got in trouble. I've heard stories but no proof.
Through my father-in-law and his friends I have heard stories but personally I know of no one.
My father-in-law used to build a lot of his own stuff, I remember not long after the wife and I met 22 or so years ago having him say to me " if you are free and want to help i am running and antenna on my car".
I had no idea I could feel sad for a car but the very instant I watched him use a knock out punch on the roof of a brand new BMW 740iL I did.
Several hours later we had the car put back together and off into the night he went on a game HAMs call "Fox and Hound".
That's when I realized that his addiction to his radio gear was as strong as any addiction I have to the woods and huntin.
Now I am starting to get that as well.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Through my father-in-law and his friends I have heard stories but personally I know of no one.
My father-in-law used to build a lot of his own stuff, I remember not long after the wife and I met 22 or so years ago having him say to me " if you are free and want to help i am running and antenna on my car".
I had no idea I could feel sad for a car but the very instant I watched him use a knock out punch on the roof of a brand new BMW 740iL I did.
Several hours later we had the car put back together and off into the night he went on a game HAMs call "Fox and Hound".
That's when I realized that his addiction to his radio gear was as strong as any addiction I have to the woods and huntin.
Now I am starting to get that as well.

I hear you!
Nothing like cutting that first hole or tapping a screw on a brand new machine.

So we were camping & Javelina hunting here in AZ for a couple of weeks about the same you guys did the big ride.
As I was instructing the new guys (young) how to program/use the radio (the infamous TYT-TH8600) also using radio adequate...how easy it is to piss of the professional HAM operators that they could do a fox hunt on us and make life hell for us...they thought is was the funniest thing ever, of course the lesson was how to move to a different frequency...they teased me all damn week "OH WATCH OUT FOR THAT FOX HUNT"
ROTFLMAO!.

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hear you!
Nothing like cutting that first hole or tapping a screw on a brand new machine.

So we were camping & Javelina hunting here in AZ for a couple of weeks about the same you guys did the big ride.
As I was instructing the new guys (young) how to program/use the radio (the infamous TYT-TH8600) also using radio adequate...how easy it is to piss of the professional HAM operators that they could do a fox hunt on us and make life hell for us...they thought is was the funniest thing ever, of course the lesson was how to move to a different frequency...they teased me all damn week "OH WATCH OUT FOR THAT FOX HUNT"
ROTFLMAO!.
I absolutely get that, that is hilarious.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
"OK THIS COULD GET DANGEROUS", I TRIED TO WARN YOU-ALL,😲 You can't have this many pocket protector carrying Nerds in one spot, there will be an overload of brain power and weird things will start happening, the next thing you know You will be trying to mount an 80 meter Yagi on a Pioneer and wearing aluminum foil hats with gutter mount antennas strapped to Your ears,,,,,, 🤪😉👍

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
"OK THIS COULD GET DANGEROUS", I TRIED TO WARN YOU-ALL,😲 You can't have this many pocket protector carrying Nerds in one spot, there will be an overload of brain power and weird things will start happening, the next thing you know You will be trying to mount an 80 meter Yagi on a Pioneer and wearing aluminum foil hats with gutter mount antennas strapped to Your ears,,,,,, 🤪😉👍
Funny enough I have a pocket protector and it can't be replaced easily today.
Btw I have an extra hat if you want to be protected from stray radio waves. Lol

advertisement
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I work in Dayton, Ohio every Year The Ham's come to town that is a sight to see
Funny enough I have a pocket protector and it can't be replaced easily today.
Btw I have an extra hat if you want to be protected from stray radio waves. Lol
Ok little off subject but I know You are a @Glock21user but have You ever heard of glock 17L is for Long Slide, I have always wanted one of those but You cannot hardly find them and they do limited runs of them but you have to go on a waiting list and get your wallet out $$$,,,

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have in fact heard of, shot and own a ported long slide.
Great shooting gun but yes you are very correct, expensive.
My user name what it is because even though I am a Colt snob so to say my everyday go to weapon is my G21 full size duty/carry preference.
Accurate, easy shooting with +P or +P+ rounds and my G20 10mm is the identical weapon save the bore diameter.
And my 10mm is my go to hunting handgun.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have in fact heard of, shot and own a ported long slide.
Great shooting gun but yes you are very correct, expensive.
My user name what it is because even though I am a Colt snob so to say my everyday go to weapon is my G21 full size duty/carry preference.
Accurate, easy shooting with +P or +P+ rounds and my G20 10mm is the identical weapon save the bore diameter.
And my 10mm is my go to hunting handgun.
Years ago I had a Glock 20 10mm, that is a great round very powerful, I ended up trading it for a full size XD45, at the time I was putting a lot of rounds down range and the .45 is more readily available than the 10mm, the only bad thing about them was the cost and not as available,,, at least back then that must have been nearly 20 yrs ago,,, You have the same problem I do, I have a Colt weakness 1911 and especially Colt Revolvers, that is the only gun I will not sell or trade when I get ahold of one with Colt stamped on it I am attached to it,,,,, 😉 👍

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Years ago I had a Glock 20 10mm, that is a great round very powerful, I ended up trading it for a full size XD45, at the time I was putting a lot of rounds down range and the .45 is more readily available than the 10mm, the only bad thing about them was the cost and not as available,,, at least back then that must have been nearly 20 yrs ago,,, You have the same problem I do, I have a Colt weakness 1911 and especially Colt Revolvers, that is the only gun I will not sell or trade when I get ahold of one with Colt stamped on it I am attached to it,,,,, 😉 👍
One of my favorite 1911 platforms is my Colt 1911 LW.
Just can't send +P through it.

Reactions: farmtimpioneer
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is one if the radios we got amongst all of the other stuff, an Icom 7800.
I am excited to get my Tech license so we can fire it up and transmit.
Oh yeah I need to learn how to use it
first. View attachment 188012
You are probably going to need General class for that beast, I am just a Technician which is all privileges above 50 MHz like 2 meters and 70 cm the General class is Technician plus HF privileges and Amateur Extra is all Amateur privileges, My Brother is a Amateur Extra He has a Kenwood 990 HF rig and He talks to people all over the World,,,,,

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is a little 2 meter Kenwood that I have setup next to my easy chair, I have a full wave dipole setup on an old TV antenna mast, I can get out about 50 miles on simplex and I can hit all the repeaters within about that distance, sometimes on the repeaters You can get out up to about 100 miles, everything around here is flat no hills so You can get out pretty far on a good day,,,,
IMG 20200303 213934303

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice setup there. I have to learn a lot I will not deny that and as I unbox stuff I will throw pics up and take input for sure.
I know I need a general license to use Icom but it is exciting to think about it.
It is really neat to think I can talk to people all over and bot just at CB range.
There has been a CB in absolutely everything I drive for thirty years or better and I thought I was king ding a ling with that. Wow I am old. Lol

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I work in Dayton, Ohio every Year The Ham's come to town that is a sight to see

Ok little off subject but I know You are a @Glock21user but have You ever heard of glock 17L is for Long Slide, I have always wanted one of those but You cannot hardly find them and they do limited runs of them but you have to go on a waiting list and get your wallet out $$$,,,
My wife said she remembers HAM FEST and that it is a huge event.
I suppose sorta like Shot Show to me.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My wife said she remembers HAM FEST and that it is a huge event.
I suppose sorta like Shot Show to me.
For many years Ham Fest in Dayton, Ohio at the Hara Arena was the biggest gathering of Hams in the World, It was a huge event that went on for several days,, an interesting thing about going to Ham Fest is I have never seen that many Blind People in one spot, I didn't really think about it until I went to a Ham Fest but that is Their Hobby and understandably so,,, The Ham Fest is no longer in Dayton but it is still in the area down in Wilmington Ohio, I believe it is still the largest gathering but that hobby has died some over the years, unfortunately the younger generations are really not into building radios and talking on them,,,,,,

advertisement