• Start date
MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Honda,
Is your tachometer still working for you? Is the battery replaceable? I know it's stated it has a 5 year life but it looks like there are screws on the back of it and was curious if there was access to the battery.

It's good while driving. Once I get moving all you can hear is wind, but you can see the rev limiter kicking in at the 1:00 mark.

I couldn't help but notice that it is reading 700 rpm for idle and 3600 for rev limiter? This seems like exactly half of what it should be. Idle of 1400 and 7000ish red line. Maybe it was set for a 2 stroke motor? And if it was does it have a setting to select 2 or 4 stroke engines?

D

Deleted member 3748

Honda,
Is your tachometer still working for you? Is the battery replaceable? I know it's stated it has a 5 year life but it looks like there are screws on the back of it and was curious if there was access to the battery.

I couldn't help but notice that it is reading 700 rpm for idle and 3600 for rev limiter? This seems like exactly half of what it should be. Idle of 1400 and 7000ish red line. Maybe it was set for a 2 stroke motor? And if it was does it have a setting to select 2 or 4 stroke engines?
It was working until I sold it. It wasn't set for anything, it just reads the current from the spark plug wire. 7200 rpm would be a lot for that engine... I feel like 3600 is probably correct, but I don't really remember. My 2-strokes rev around 10K

Reactions: trigger
MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
7200 rpm would be a lot for that engine... I feel like 3600 is probably correct, but I don't really remember. My 2-strokes rev around 10K

I have the same one and it's been about three years, still working. And yes, it reads around 700 at idle.

For your information, and mine for that matter, I did some research. Couldn't find rpm numbers for the Pioneer 500 but did find numbers for the Foreman 500 that shares the same 475cc engine. Horsepower and torque ratings come in at 6,250 and 5,000 rpm respectively. So rev limiter/red line has to be above 6,250 somewhere.

Honda Foreman HP numbers

2017 Honda Foreman 500 ATV Review / Specs – TRX500FM1 4x4 (Manual Shift)

I couldn't fine current idle numbers as everything is fuel injection now with now adjustment. I did dig up info for the 2008 Foreman 500 with the 475cc engine that is carbureted. At least at that time idle was 1400 rpm +- 100.

Idle speed

Engine Idle Speed - Honda TRX500FM Owner's Manual [Page 143]

I found the manual for the tach and it does have a pulse per revolution setting. I'm assuming that it's default setting is 1, which would be fine for a two-stroke engine. A four-stroke would need that set at .5 Here is the manual if you would like to mess with it.

Trailtech tach