P500 Tachometer

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I installed the Trail Tech 722-A00 tachometer. It works perfectly, though not when it's below 32 degrees, just like it says in the specs. When did they ever mean that? I guess I won't be able to see it in it's full glory for another month or so...

I think we can install any tach, like a Sun Pro, but I want to try that out on something other than my Pioneer first. Maybe this spring.

IMAG00460

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I installed the Trail Tech 722-A00 tachometer. It works perfectly, though not when it's below 32 degrees, just like it says in the specs. When did they ever mean that? I guess I won't be able to see it in it's full glory for another month or so...

I think we can install any tach, like a Sun Pro, but I want to try that out on something other than my Pioneer first. Maybe this spring.

View attachment 9524
Nice. Is that a Honda accessory, and what's the price?

D

Deleted member 3748

Nice. Is that a Honda accessory, and what's the price?
It's made by Trail Tech but I bought it from Amazon because Trail Tech has expensive shipping. Amazon price is $37. It powers itself with a built-in battery and all you have to do is mount it, run a wire and wrap it around the spark plug cable. It took about an hour to run the wire, and 2 minutes for everything else. :D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's made by Trail Tech but I bought it from Amazon because Trail Tech has expensive shipping. Amazon price is $37. It powers itself with a built-in battery and all you have to do is mount it, run a wire and wrap it around the spark plug cable. It took about an hour to run the wire, and 2 minutes for everything else. :D

Thanks. I assume you drilled a small hole in the dash and then went down and inside the skid plate?

D

Deleted member 3748

I drilled through the top of the steering column, avoiding the removable cover because it would be a pain to remove with a wire running through it. Then I went along the rear brake line then up under the driver seat. With some patience, you can get the wire to poke out under the plastic cover below the seat then the spark plug is right there.

Reactions: Montecresto
D

Deleted member 3748

I also had to solder an extension wire to the gauge because the factory wire was too short. It didn't affect the tach readings at all.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I drilled through the top of the steering column, avoiding the removable cover because it would be a pain to remove with a wire running through it. Then I went along the rear brake line then up under the driver seat. With some patience, you can get the wire to poke out under the plastic cover below the seat then the spark plug is right there.
Ok cool, thanks!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going to look into one of these. I normally go by sound and feel as when to shift.
To have a visual would be a bonus. Especially for the wife. Thanks Piston.
My wife's uses the speedometer
to know when to shift.
same concept
but everybody has there
Own deal.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
A lite up one on dash
Would be kool...I'm a
gadget / lights guy
Honda red lines your
engine. ...with it being
governed
looks kool

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have one of those on my dirt bike that is also an hour meter. My only complaint with mine, and maybe yours doesn't do this, is mine has a slight delay before giving an accurate reading. For example, if the bike is sitting there idling the reading is correct, then if you rev the bike it won't register on the tach until the engine has already wound back down. Not sure if I explained that very good. Does yours do that too @PistonHonda ? Mines kinda old, they probably make them better now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Guessing it's because it's powered by a small internal battery???
Sounds reasonable. I wonder if it would be possible to bring stepped down power from the main or auxillery battery for power, and bypass the internal???

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds reasonable. I wonder if it would be possible to bring stepped down power from the main or auxillery battery for power, and bypass the internal???
would
Possibly, as long as it requires 12v.....Piston posted the LCD goes out due to the temps.....battery may not be the issue. However they could be related I suppose.

D

Deleted member 3748

I have one of those on my dirt bike that is also an hour meter. My only complaint with mine, and maybe yours doesn't do this, is mine has a slight delay before giving an accurate reading. For example, if the bike is sitting there idling the reading is correct, then if you rev the bike it won't register on the tach until the engine has already wound back down. Not sure if I explained that very good. Does yours do that too @PistonHonda ? Mines kinda old, they probably make them better now.
@Tflynn , it's a little jumpy when free-revving but it seems okay when driving. Not sure the 500 thumper can rev faster than the tach can react. I'll go get a video right now to see how it does going down the road. :)

Reactions: trigger and Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Tflynn , it's a little jumpy when free-revving but it seems okay when driving. Not sure the 500 thumper can rev faster than the tach can react. I'll go get a video right now to see how it does going down the road. :)

Looks more responsive than mine

advertisement