P1000 Switch Plate Install Tip

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Installed the switch plate today that I got from Mystic. (Very happy with the plate. A quality piece that fits perfectly.)

What worked best for me to do the cutouts:

- Drill out the rivets of the 'safety warnings' plaque, and remove.
- Install the switch plate with a couple screws to hold it in position.
- Mark your cutouts with an Xacto knife or a Stanley knife - make sure you have a sharp blade, so you get precise markings
- Remove the plate
- Cut out the switch holes. I tried several methods on the first cutout, based on YouTube videos, etc., including a jigsaw. The plastic dash is a bit too thick to cut easily with a Stanley knife. Finally settled on my low-end Dremel tool, which had an accessory that looks like a tiny little circular saw blade. Man, that worked a treat! Just cut the tops and sides, and then finish off the corners with your Stanley knife. Easy, clean cuts, nice square holes. Edges easily cleaned up with a file or Stanley knife.
- For my round gauge holes, I drilled them undersize with a spade bit, then trimmed them to fit with a burr accessory in the Dremel. Again, nice, clean job, perfect fit.
- Install the plate with 6 screws. (I used stainless self-tappers. Worked great, no rust down the road.)

Hope this helps someone else tackling this easy retrofit!

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Curious.. why did you cut them out individually vs cutting out the entire hole minus 1/4” around the edge?
I wanted the additional strength and rigidity that the factory panel provides.

Reactions: BWAF