Reactions: TN8S
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think we will be able to do what you want with just a couple relays. I think all the lights can go on 1 fuse. The switch on each device should be able to handle each branch circuit

I hadn't even thought of running multiple light switches from 1 fuse. Makes sense though. I could just come off a 30A fuse on the block and supply the switches for light bar, rear lights, and dome lights. That gives me 360 Watts for lights. I plan to be under 250W with all lights.

I could also combine the windshield wipers and bilge fan on 1 fuse too. Might allow me to get a smaller fuse block. I would need a busbar or some way to split power to the different switches though.......

dmcpeak

dmcpeak

Oct 9, 2016
Binghamton, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got lost in all this about 12 posts ago.
I have a switch plate. (5 openings plus setup for Ram Mount)
I want to convert a rocker switch that came with Badlands Winch to a lighted one and put into panel. (Simple Momentary Rocker but came with wires sealed and it will not fit slots)
I want to add the USB/Voltmeter to panel.
I want to add an LED Light Bar Switch for future use with lightbar (haven't decided which to add or how to mount yet)
Q- Do I need to buy wiring harness for each switch?
Q- Where/how do I optimally wire each of these for power?
Q- Do I need a fuse block?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got lost in all this about 12 posts ago.
I have a switch plate. (5 openings plus setup for Ram Mount)
I want to convert a rocker switch that came with Badlands Winch to a lighted one and put into panel. (Simple Momentary Rocker but came with wires sealed and it will not fit slots)
I want to add the USB/Voltmeter to panel.
I want to add an LED Light Bar Switch for future use with lightbar (haven't decided which to add or how to mount yet)
Q- Do I need to buy wiring harness for each switch?
Q- Where/how do I optimally wire each of these for power?
Q- Do I need a fuse block?
No don't need harness for each switch
Bring up a separate heavy gauge wire from battery to a set of relays or fuse block where you can mount it. Behind dash so you can power from there
And last but not least learn how to use this sight and search these topics cause There are post from others who type and can spell and explain things in great detail. Better than I can.also check the other forum for info on this too. You will need it going forward with all the great mods you buy. Good luck

Reactions: PioneerPete
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Looks like most of the rocker switch's I see are rated at 20 amps, you should be able to run most low current devices without a relay. I would just make sure you fuse the circuits correctly so that if there's a problem the fuse would protect the components in that circuit.
I also added a rely to allow for the switch illumination when the headlights are on.

Here is a drawing of a simple circuit I made, in this configuration the lights would be able to be used with key off or on position. it could easily be changed to key on position only.
0a1f0c5583290d9db37bf049b5753805

Also need to calculate the amperage draw of each device to correctly fuse each circuit.

I made a slight mistake on my drawing. The switch led bulbs should be wired in parallel and not series as in the first drawing. Here is a revised drawing.

Simple circuit

Last edited:
Reactions: swsebek and dmcpeak
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looks like most of the rocker switch's I see are rated at 20 amps, you should be able to run most low current devices without a relay. I would just make sure you fuse the circuits correctly so that if there's a problem the fuse would protect the components in that circuit.
I also added a rely to allow for the switch illumination when the headlights are on.

Here is a drawing of a simple circuit I made, in this configuration the lights would be able to be used with key off or on position. it could easily be changed to key on position only.
View attachment 31534

Also need to calculate the amperage draw of each device to correctly fuse each circuit.

So instead of a relay for the rocker switch lights is there a reason why I can't just pull power from the headlight circuit straight to them? That would turn them on when the headlights are on.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Yes you could do that

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes you could do that

Awesome thanks for all the help. Going to start ordering all the stuff today. Still gonna be several weeks before I'll have the machine in my garage but at least I'll be ready!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Let me know if you need any help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Let me know if you need any help.

The only thing I'm unsure of is where to pull power from a "key on" source as well as where to tap into the headlight circuit. That may become obvious once I dig into it though.

advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
You have a 500?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@dmcpeak I'm not an electrician but I'll add some notes I've picked up on.
-Fuse all you accessories. You can add in line fuses or add a fuse box. Both do the same thing, in line may save you some wiring, a box will locate all fuses togeather.
Watts/voltage=amps so a 120w light bar at 12 volts draws 10 amps. Your switches are probably rates for 20 or 30 amps but if it's questionable run a relay to avoid burning up your switch. The relay uses a low amperage power wire (ran through your switch) to trigger the relay and complete the circuit of a larger amperage to your accessories. Search for 12v relay on YouTube for a better explanation.
-be sure to go by the wiring diagram supplied with your switches and relays. They should explain pretty clearly where all connections go.
-If you want power on/off with your ignition you need a relay that is triggered with the ignition. I ran a fuse box with a relay that is triggered by a wire behind the factory 12v outlet so it's on/off with my key. Now anything ran off of my fuse box (lights, radio, whatever you want) will only come on when the key is on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
what he^^ said!lol

mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
The only thing I'm unsure of is where to pull power from a "key on" source as well as where to tap into the headlight circuit. That may become obvious once I dig into it though.
For keyed on source use the wire going to the factory 12v outlet. For on with the headlights use a brown wire from the headlight switch. The wires going to the headlights are either hot with the high beams on or low beams but not both. The 700 does not have high beams and I think is a white with black stripe wire to the headlights (drivers side) that's hot when they are on.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't recommend tapping the headlight wires to power a light bar. light bar should have its own hot wire with fuse.
if you're just talking about some small rock lights (<20w each), it'll probably be ok.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For keyed on source use the wire going to the factory 12v outlet. For on with the headlights use a brown wire from the headlight switch. The wires going to the headlights are either hot with the high beams on or low beams but not both. The 700 does not have high beams and I think is a white with black stripe wire to the headlights (drivers side) that's hot when they are on.

Nice! You've just got all the answers. I'll write that down for when I start tearing into it. Thanks so much.

Reactions: mystic1219
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I wouldn't recommend tapping the headlight wires to power a light bar. light bar should have its own hot wire with fuse.
if you're just talking about some small rock lights (<20w each), it'll probably be ok.

The only thing I plan to power with the existing headlight circuit is the leds that illuminate the rocker switches. The current draw will be so low I'm not even concerned about overloading anything.

Reactions: PioneerPete
mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
Nice! You've just got all the answers. I'll write that down for when I start tearing into it. Thanks so much.
I learned most of it on here. Like mentioned above, I only use the headlight wire to power the leds on the rocker switches.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only thing I plan to power with the existing headlight circuit is the leds that illuminate the rocker switches. The current draw will be so low I'm not even concerned about overloading anything.
ah, now I see what you were saying when you said "rocker switch lights"...lol
yep, same thing I did!lol

advertisement