P1000 SuperATV Flip Windshield kicking our A$$

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got the lower panel and all its parts put together and we can't get the rubber seal on the bottom of the panel to stay in place on the edge of the panel. Been screwing with it for an hour and a half with no luck. Keeps crawling off the contour edge. Guess this wasn't the week to give up sniffing glue.

Samiam1286

Samiam1286

Jul 24, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got the lower panel and all its parts put together and we can't get the rubber seal on the bottom of the panel to stay in place on the edge of the panel. Been screwing with it for an hour and a half with no luck. Keeps crawling off the contour edge. Guess this wasn't the week to give up sniffing glue.

Unfortunately I don't have this windshield yet so can't offer any help to you, but was going to get this one, should I reconsider?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doogy
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Jbird how about some pictures of the problem? o_O

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Use 3M automotive trim adhesive CAREFULLY in the cracks of the moulding so it will stick to the edge of the plexiglass. Alternatively you can buy a glue trap for mice and use a butter knife to scrape the glue off the backing and put a small bead of down in the molding crack.

Both will do the trick, both are very messy if not done carefully.

tjmichael

tjmichael

Jul 29, 2016
hernando ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same 1. It's still in the box so I can't give you any pointers. I did watch a Couple install videos on you tube. And they say to soak it in hot water to make it more flexible and it will form when it cools down.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but here's my 2cents. I bought this windshield, had trouble out of the box. #1 it's not scratch resistant. I called and asked a bout it and they couldn't really give me an answer nor any solution to it that they have made to correct it. #2 unless they have corrected it, the clamps....well let's say they don't clamp tight without snapping open on the opposite Side of the clamp. You can finesse tighten them but when u go down a trail with slight bumps...have a passenger to hold onto the window yikes !! (My small wife had difficulty with this lol) I called Unhinged ware I bought it and they were fantastic about it. Although when I had to deal with SuperATV (they asked first I deal with them directly) I had nice people, just didn't follow threw with getting me new clamps after a few weeks of calls and when finally got replacement clamps, only sent 4 out of 6 and they did the same thing. When I contacted Unhinged, they were very diligent to call SATV and sent out a whole new windshield saying SATV said there supplier had re-tooled and FIXED the clamp problem, (still no explanation on the non scratch resistant situation). So, when the new windshield arrived, I just took out the clamps and tried them and still the same open on the fly. Emailed Unhinged and they agreed to refunded my money and sent both back. Then I bought the Honda. Bottom line, (too long of rant sorry) and just think of what happened to me with that windshield ! And the unhinged folks were very professional and would do business with them again. This was in a corse of 1-1/2 months of dealing with this. One other small note, if it ends up working out for you and you keep it, great! Get yourself a pice of that rubber seal to put on the lower half above the shifter, if not that lip will come out at bite your knuckles bad! I bled like a stuck pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is not to put down or degrade SATV. It's a sweet looking windshield and certainly much cheeper than the Honda equivalent. There either still are or were as of last week having QC issues with that for our SXS. When I seen you were having trouble, I thought I'd give you some insight than beat yourself up. Oh and yes, heating up that rubber strip does help getting it on. Here's some pics. Dcf7c10c9150dad05131a686cf4ba2df024da4a988ced30e18285e85571757efF895f57e4d36a2b6d6eb78b568c70b14

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well alrighty then. Nothing like finding out your big investment is a POS. Didn't have time to work on it today as we had to go to LR and pick up a new gun safe at Bass Pro. I'll keep everyone posted on how this windshield works out.. Anyone have this windshield on a P1000 that is happy with it?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Like I said, it's actually a cool windshield just has some issues. Put the clamps on the cage without the windshield on, if they look and do what the pics do, you have the so called old tooling and you'll have problems and It's not updated. But as of last week, they said they had it updated from the supplier for the Pioneer 1000. The one I got last week was no different. I hope your is updated. Sorry,Just trying to help.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did find something that worked on the rubber seal. Put it in your clothes dryer for 17 minutes. Be sure to put it inside an old pillow case if you don't want black marks in your dryer that would transfer to your clothes. Now to work on the clamps and fit everything together. Talked to Super ATV and they were very helpful and said they were sending the latest clamps in case ours was shipped with the old ones. Will update later.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good to hear! Hope they are correct, or the ones they send out f need be.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got it on minus one lost screw which they are sending us. My wife and I are both handy with tools and this was a two day close tolerance nightmare to install. About to ride two miles to our mailbox and confidence is low that one or more clamps won't pop loose. This windshield is wonderful in concept but needs some serious re engineering. So much for "easy install". I will say Super ATV was very helpful the six times we called them.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's great! I assume they got you the correct clamps and there tight?

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems so. Time will tell. We have friends that have a P1K3 that bought the Honda hard coat windshield that opens from the bottom about 6". I can tell you this Super ATV Flip windshield is a lot cooler with the wind blowing in your face.

Shawn81

Shawn81

Aug 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know if there any issues with the super atv half windshield?

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is not to put down or degrade SATV. It's a sweet looking windshield and certainly much cheeper than the Honda equivalent. There either still are or were as of last week having QC issues with that for our SXS. When I seen you were having trouble, I thought I'd give you some insight than beat yourself up. Oh and yes, heating up that rubber strip does help getting it on. Here's some pics.Dcf7c10c9150dad05131a686cf4ba2df024da4a988ced30e18285e85571757efF895f57e4d36a2b6d6eb78b568c70b14

The clamps on ours seem to be holding well once we learned to tighten down till the gap was equal on both sides instead of cranking down till they pop loose.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The clamps on ours seem to be holding well once we learned to tighten down till the gap was equal on both sides instead of cranking down till they pop loose.
That's the problem I had. You should not have to do that at all with that clamp! That is the finess tight tight I told u about. Once you start going down trails, (not a smooth paved road or slow ride in the yard) the side of the clamp that has the "latch" will not hold due to the force that you put on it to "finess" tighten it and BAM out she comes, hurry up and grab the windshield before u loose it! If it hasn't happened yet, it will! That tells me like they told the distributor that I bought mine from that it was fixed and was not when I got a replacement. Talked about this at length with my dealer sales guy this past weekend about this and he says they have had this issue to and have stopped buying them.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's the problem I had. You should not have to do that at all with that clamp! That is the finess tight tight I told u about. Once you start going down trails, (not a smooth paved road or slow ride in the yard) the side of the clamp that has the "latch" will not hold due to the force that you put on it to "finess" tighten it and BAM out she comes, hurry up and grab the windshield before u loose it! If it hasn't happened yet, it will! That tells me like they told the distributor that I bought mine from that it was fixed and was not when I got a replacement. Talked about this at length with my dealer sales guy this past weekend about this and he says they have had this issue to and have stopped buying them.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problems riding the trails around here so far. We'll see what happens on vacation in Colorado in a couple of weeks.
Of course we are older and don't really ride rough trails balls to the wall like in our younger days. I like this windshield enough that I don't think I would give up on it without trying zip ties or safety wire for additional support on the clamps.

Reactions: Remington
hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed mine yesterday and haven't seen any issues so far. My clamps get really snug without getting anywhere close to closing the gap on them.
Instructions could be better on the whole thing but so far I really like this windshield

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jbird and Remington
advertisement