Studded Tires

R

rickoshea

my bighorns are almost toast so they're getting studded in october.i figure 200? i'm going to give them a shot before i track up for the winter.last year i spent a crap ton on gas running the tracks.this year i'll just be running up and down the lake,probably.if it works out i should be able to get a few seasons out of them and if i can plow my drive with them they may just stay on.the neighbor has a set of chains he's trying to flog on me.can i run chains and studs? just for plowing.

Reactions: Rayger143
LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
not sure about a heavy utv but ran studs back in my younger days on the rear of a 350x 3 wheeler and that thing would wheelie on glare ice. kept up with the snowmobilers real well. i just used sheet metal type screws with the little washer like attached to the head. 5/16 bit in the drill and you get alot in quick.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
You've never been in a situation on the ice where extra traction would be helpful, and you pull an ice house 🤔. Must be perfect ice all the time where you are. In Wisconsin, we get every possible ice condition, and I have been stuck several times. I've found the best solution is a shovel, and tire chains on all four wheels.
Lol Wisconsin weather….must be nice having trees blocking the wind.

Seriously I never said studs were not beneficial….just don’t see the value. At least with chains you something more robust and removable.

of course you build some gentle speed getting off the lake on glare ice with out chains or studs, just like a car on a icy road. You start in a high gear to limit torque to the ground and some easy throttle. You don’t put it in low gear and pin the throttle…
If money wasn’t an issue I’d go right to tracks.

Reactions: Mudwing
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
my bighorns are almost toast so they're getting studded in october.i figure 200? i'm going to give them a shot before i track up for the winter.last year i spent a crap ton on gas running the tracks.this year i'll just be running up and down the lake,probably.if it works out i should be able to get a few seasons out of them and if i can plow my drive with them they may just stay on.the neighbor has a set of chains he's trying to flog on me.can i run chains and studs? just for plowing.
I would advise against chains for plowing on a P1k5, you’ll tear up a lot of stuff with them on plowing… mostly your Honda…you’ll regret it when you hit something hard with the plow…
I don’t have problems pushing new snow up to the height of the plow on hard pack. Might have to get a starting run but it’s better than pulling the ears off the a-arms from too much traction. Been there done that on a chained up Polaris 700xp with a plow.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
not sure about a heavy utv but ran studs back in my younger days on the rear of a 350x 3 wheeler and that thing would wheelie on glare ice. kept up with the snowmobilers real well. i just used sheet metal type screws with the little washer like attached to the head. 5/16 bit in the drill and you get alot in quick.
Hell ya! This is the answer I was lookin for. I think chains are probably the best traction but probably a little harder on running gear because of it. I think I'm gonna grab a big box of 5/16 head screws and go nuts on a set of almost worn out Big Horns and see what happens. Really, what have I got to lose?