P1000 Stuck in first gear

H

HondaTech

I installed new ECM I guess that’s what you call it
Everything Is running OK and shifting OK but when I’m in park I have this on my dash the gear symbol is halfway on and then I have a manual and auto symbol on never had before
I called the dealer they said it was just plug and play is there some transmission relearn I don’t know about?

View attachment 265895 View attachment 265896

You have to do a clutch relearn. The new ecm needs to "learn" the clutch freeplay to engage properly. The "u" means the oil temp needs to be raised by letting the engine run. Then youll need to shut the key off and start the relearn procedure.

Clutch relearn:
Unit in Park, Key off
Key on
Full throttle, release (twice)
Full throttle and hold pedal down
Shift from Park to Low to Park to Low to Park (Make sure dash shows "L" and "P" when moving lever). This has to be done quickly
Release the throttle
Start the unit
Dash should flash "--" every 2 seconds for up to a minute. You'll hear a clicking in the engine
When the relearn is done, the dash will go blank (no gear position or AT/MT)
Shut the key off and start the engine again.
Dash should be normal now.

Engine oil temp has to be pretty warm to make the relearn possible. Once the "U" dissappears the temperature should be warm enough.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Everything Is running OK and shifting OK but when I’m in park I have this on my dash the gear symbol is halfway on and then I have a manual and auto symbol on never had before
I called the dealer they said it was just plug and play is there some transmission relearn I don’t know about?

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would be careful installing a block off in the heater line. The input comes off the oil cooler and drains the rear cylinder area. We debated blocking that line off on our Talon race car to get rid of the factory oil cooler for a better one. We decided against it due to causing a possible hot spot in the rear cylinder.

Just a thought. I cant say ive had this problem on any Pioneer with a heater, but then again we are in northern KY/southern OH. So the temp difference might be a factor.
Thanks for preventing me from screwing up badly. The trans module is in the same enclosure as the heater and it must get pretty hot in there with coolant flowing all the time. Maybe I need to rig up a bypass hose.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you install shut-off valves to the heater core with bypass valve you can make it work. The old cars (1950s) had this. Was quite simple and it worked. I was at Napa last week. They had the valves in stock that were "Y"s so no extra hoses were needed.

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ordered a 1/2" 3 way valve and tee and installed a bypass hose around my under-seat heater so my trans module wouldn't get so hot. I have good flow across the oil cooler. Then I took it for a 3 1/2 hour 62 mile test ride in the mountains and it shifted flawlessly the entire time! This is the longest ride this buggy has ever gone without fouling up!
Many thanks to all of you who figured this out for me.
When winter gets here and I turn the valves the other way to get heat in the cab, the problem will probably come back, but I have lots of time to think about that before the time comes.

Rake 2 001

Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hi, Have been following your thread, thanks for all the updates! Having the same issues, just remembered last time I thought the brakes had overheated going down our steep mountain trail, but it was as you said, no engine braking. Now this has gotten dangerous/serious. Has your problem gone away since you replaced the ECM? Thanks!

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, Have been following your thread, thanks for all the updates! Having the same issues, just remembered last time I thought the brakes had overheated going down our steep mountain trail, but it was as you said, no engine braking. Now this has gotten dangerous/serious. Has your problem gone away since you replaced the ECM? Thanks!
I believe the ECM has fixed the problem. I have not had anymore problems.
With that said I have not got to go on a slow all day ride in over a 100 degree day yet. So I’m not 100 percent positive just yet, maybe 98 percent positive, since I’m just trouble shooting and buying parts to see if it fixes it.
When I installed the ECM I put a half inch piece of insulation between the ECM and the plastic firewall to help with vibration and heat coming from the motor compartment.
The dealer could never locate the problem and since it was not showing a code after the one year bumper to bumper warranty was up the extended warranty would not cover the Man hours for troubleshooting. So for about $120 part I figured it was worth doing myself.
If you’re having those problems shut off the machine and let it cool down for about a half an hour and it will reset itself and you’ll be able to drive again and you’ll get your engine brake back.
It will keep happening when it’s really hot outside in the summer, until you fix it.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess they're calling it the PCM (ECM/TCM)? IT's about $270. Part# HL4-G82 Does that sound right?
Sorry to bug you with all these questions, just don't want to waste $$ and time at the dealer if I can do it myself.

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess they're calling it the PCM (ECM/TCM)? IT's about $270. Part# HL4-G82 Does that sound right?
Sorry to bug you with all these questions, just don't want to waste $$ and time at the dealer if I can do it myself.
I attached a photo of the part PCM/ECM
Mine was HL4-G81
Also check your fuel injector wire harness This problem is intermittent and well-known

3A01CA68 DA51 45FA B166 32357FA94B9B

advertisement
M

Mrianda

Sep 28, 2022
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have the same problem with my 1000-5 since i bought it. Did the ECM/ECU? fix your problem? I am still suffering through this and now I'm out of the Warranty period..

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it fixed my problems of being stuck in first gear
I recommend getting a new ecm and putting some insulation behind the ecm where the strap holds the ecm in place to help stop it from getting so hot
Then do the transmission relearn steps

Let me know if it works for you
The dealership normally won’t find the problem because the ecm stores the error codes but doesn’t have a code for its own failure ?

Reactions: Lady01
M

Mrianda

Sep 28, 2022
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it fixed my problems of being stuck in first gear
I recommend getting a new ecm and putting some insulation behind the ecm where the strap holds the ecm in place to help stop it from getting so hot
Then do the transmission relearn steps

Let me know if it works for you
The dealership normally won’t find the problem because the ecm stores the error codes but doesn’t have a code for its own failure ?
thank you

Reactions: Lady01
ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2018 stuck in first gear in the middle of nowhere of course. Got book out, three pages of do this do that. Tried to shift it manually with the little wrench they give you. Managed to get it into 2nd gear. Unlocked and turned the screw all the way in like the book said. Limped it out 14 miles in 2nd. Took to dealer. Had it for 45 days. Tried flashing it, then new dash module, then new ECM, then a new wiring harness. Used a complete tank of gas (how many hours did that put on my engine) letting it run to try and see if it was fixed. Finally called and said come get it. Haven't had any problems yet but don't trust it. I am fairly sure that they put the old module and ECM back in when it didn't fix it. I went over it very well, no new wiring harness anywhere. Bottom line, they don't have a clue. And I have found when you have the extended warranty like I do they don't like to replace things. Why isn't the transmission relearn sequence included in the book?? Really gettin tired of my Ranger buddies riding my Hillary.

D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My transmission has been working perfectly ever since I figured out the under seat heater was too hot for the transmission module and disconnected it.

Reactions: TripleB
J

Josh2021pioneer1000-5

Dec 6, 2021
Cocoa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my ride back from dealer they could not reproduce the symptoms of it being stuck in first gear they did some troubleshooting but did not find a definite answer
codes they did get suspect it was a battery issue
They said the battery tested good but suggested buying original factory battery also they checked the speed sensors and they did find some odd wear or metal on the sensor here’s a photo of it
We also discussed information about the ECM under the driver seat overheating as I discovered in another post on this website about Customer having the same issues
if it happens again I may order a new ECM and see if we can control the heat under the seat
If anyone has any input feedback is appreciated

View attachment 231728 View attachment 231729 View attachment 231730
I replace that and mine still is not coming out of first gear. Did it fix yours

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replace that and mine still is not coming out of first gear. Did it fix yours
What were the symptoms before this happened? Did you do the clutch relearn some one posted it in this chat try that if you replaced your ecm
My ride is working fine now

J

Josh2021pioneer1000-5

Dec 6, 2021
Cocoa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What were the symptoms before this happened? Did you do the clutch relearn some one posted it in this chat try that if you replaced your ecm
My ride is working fine now
I change the rear Diff seals and now it is doing that

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I was you I would post pictures of what you did and describe what work you done
And a hopefully a Honda tech or member will see your post
The symptoms are not the same as I had that made mine get stuck in first gear

H

HondaTech

You've got a sensor in the diff that is unhappy or disconnected. The ECM is seeing that speed sensor and wont let it shift since it doesn't see speed.

Check if the gear indicator or CEL is blinking

Reactions: CID
advertisement