Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Why haul around a chain saw and oil when you likely already have a sawzall…or the batteries for one?

Seriously a 20v dewalt on with a 2ah battery will easily make 6 cuts on a 4” diameter tree no problem. Blades last forever on soft woods.

lightweight and easy to control. Nearly as fast as a chain saw…heck of a lot lighter.

I trimmed over 100 pine trees on my property 5’ from the ground with a single blade. 2ah battery does 2.5 trees.

for the big stuff, for sure a chainsaw, don’t underestimate the utility of a sawzall.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I use either a gas, Kolbalt 40v chain saw or Dewalt 20v sawzall with pruning blade for the smaller stuff. The Kobalt also fits nice crossways in the P500 passenger footwell. Holder from Northern Tool.
A781B071 8BFE 4362 9ACD 7BAA07191514

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
While on the subject, the 18 volt Ryobi pole saw is super handy. They work great. I use one for trimming and cutting shooting lanes around tree stands.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Why haul around a chain saw and oil when you likely already have a sawzall…or the batteries for one?

Seriously a 20v dewalt on with a 2ah battery will easily make 6 cuts on a 4” diameter tree no problem. Blades last forever on soft woods.

lightweight and easy to control. Nearly as fast as a chain saw…heck of a lot lighter.

I trimmed over 100 pine trees on my property with a single blade 5’ from the ground with a single blade. 2ah battery does 2.5 trees.

for the big stuff, for sure a chainsaw, don’t underestimate the utility of a sawzall.

That's what I've been carrying for yrs. Small, light and fits in the box all locked up. They make some wicked blades for them too that'll cut through just about anything.

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
Before embarking on the battery powered tool journey, look at the entire ecosystem of tools offered as one purchase usually leads to another and another until you have a large collection of one brands stuff laying around and a bunch of batteries and chargers.

It's just so easy to say, well, I have a battery, look how cheep that impact driver, air compressor, etc is...

Myself, I got sucked into the Dewalt trap this way. Love almost every tool. The air. Compressor, grinder, impact driver, vibratory cutter, and of course drills are used all the time now. My most used tools are the 12 and 16 inch chainsaws though. They made me a true believer.

I bought the Oregon 14 inch bar (that takes normal chain) for the 12 inch and the wife loves it. Won't use anything else. It chatters a bit for me (and yes chains are sharp), but I really like how smooth, fast and powerful, their 16 inch saw is. Totally my go to.

The huge benefits to me are no carb to foul with bad fuel, no jerking on a rip cord hoping I have the choke right, and it's quiet as fuk. Love it! It's instant on/off and a big battery lasts me quite awhile.

Be warned though, it's a slippery slope and you WILL buy more if the same brands tools after you start. So be clever which brand you want to really jump in bed with.

Homer

Homer

Happy Birthday MoPower!
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I've been carrying for yrs. Small, light and fits in the box all locked up. They make some wicked blades for them too that'll cut through just about anything.
Agree. I carry M18 hackzall with diablo pruning blades for farm/trails. It's crazy what they will cut.
Reduced size and no oil mess compared to chainsaws.

advertisement
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
For recip saw size stuff, I personally use loppers and/or a sharp bow saw. We (myself and the OP) regularly encounter big By-God Trees down across the trails we run. I carry a gas Stihl with a 20" bar (when I remember to bring it to camp!). Not uncommon to go through more than a tank of fuel in a day.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I love the little Milwaukee M12 hatchet chainsaw. It was a godsend after the hurricane last year when fuel was at a premium and we were saving every last drop for generators. Cut a bunch of trees out of the roads and a tree off my buddy's F-150 with that little thing. My little inverter in the P1k would have a battery charging while we cleared.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I love the little Milwaukee M12 hatchet chainsaw. It was a godsend after the hurricane last year when fuel was at a premium and we were saving every last drop for generators. Cut a bunch of trees out of the roads and a tree off my buddy's F-150 with that little thing. My little inverter in the P1k would have a battery charging while we cleared.

View attachment 321964

View attachment 321965
That buffed out ok didn't it? 😉

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been running a 18 volt Milwaukee with a 16 inch bar and 12 amp battery for 2 years . I can buck up about 3/4 of a cord of wood before switching batteries. The same battery runs my impacts, drills and many other Milwaukee tools. cordless is the way to go for trail cutting if you don’t have hours of work to do. When I get into cutting new trails the gas saw comes along.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

Thanks for the endorsement on this little guy. I have quite a few M12 tools and really don't want to start another ecosystem of tools and batteries.

I saw a few videos of people swapping in longer bars which might make sense.

advertisement