P1000 sorry but a new winch install question

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Gents, Im putting in a warn winch (Vantage 4000S) in my 2020 1000-5. The winch is mounted but Im stuck on the wiring.

I did not buy the Honda harness kit rather I am using the parts from the Warn winch box. First of all, is this a good/OK concept or should I buy the Honda wiring kit?? My second question is the confusion around the "pre wired for winch". I have two cables coming from the winch on the bumper up to the contactor. Are either of these replaced by the Honda "pre-wired" wires?? What is that blue taped wire near the battery for? I guess my final question is where best to pick up a key- on power directly? Is there an easy place to splice in for this?

I searched around and am actually swimming in video from warn, pdf's from honda, and random videos.

Thanks in advance, steve

Reactions: Papaandhistoys
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Gents, Im putting in a warn winch (Vantage 4000S) in my 2020 1000-5. The winch is mounted but Im stuck on the wiring.

I did not buy the Honda harness kit rather I am using the parts from the Warn winch box. First of all, is this a good/OK concept or should I buy the Honda wiring kit?? My second question is the confusion around the "pre wired for winch". I have two cables coming from the winch on the bumper up to the contactor. Are either of these replaced by the Honda "pre-wired" wires?? What is that blue taped wire near the battery for? I guess my final question is where best to pick up a key- on power directly? Is there an easy place to splice in for this?

I searched around and am actually swimming in video from warn, pdf's from honda, and random videos.

Thanks in advance, steve
not sure about the 1000 but on the 700 there is a key on pole just a little away from the battery. thats where my hot wire for my winch is connected from honda. follow your battery hot wire. there is probably same thing on your machine.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I did not buy the Honda harness kit rather I am using the parts from the Warn winch box. First of all, is this a good/OK concept or should I buy the Honda wiring kit?? My second question is the confusion around the "pre wired for winch". I have two cables coming from the winch on the bumper up to the contactor. Are either of these replaced by the Honda "pre-wired" wires?? NO

What is that blue taped wire near the battery for? If I recall correctly its a ground for the winch but I don't remember.... @Hondasxs

I guess my final question is where best to pick up a key- on power directly? Is there an easy place to splice in for this?

Thanks in advance, steve

P1000 - Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - Honda Pioneer 1000

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey perfect, thanks for that. I guess if I get no more replies I am just going to wire the winch as if Honda provided nothing. Route the wires as best I can and move on. steve
Have you looked into the dual battery setups. If not I highly recommend it. I run two batteries with all accessories on the aux battery. When winching I can watch my voltage monitor for the aux battery drop under heavy strain then hear the winch speed up when the battery recovers. As for the pre wired part my 2017 only had a ground pigtail when I got it. I believe it was about a foot long and connected to the ground post on the factory battery tucked away from sight.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Have you looked into the dual battery setups. If not I highly recommend it. I run two batteries with all accessories on the aux battery. When winching I can watch my voltage monitor for the aux battery drop under heavy strain then hear the winch speed up when the battery recovers. As for the pre wired part my 2017 only had a ground pigtail when I got it. I believe it was about a foot long and connected to the ground post on the factory battery tucked away from sight.

Yes thanks. I plan to have a wait and see on the dual battery. I winched a ton on my polaris ranger with only one battery. I might add a light bar but that is about it. Also I have a couple of those little Lithium packs to jump start me if I plan to be out in the boonies. Im kind of coming to the end of my additions with the winch. I have the 1/2 skid UHMV plate, the fabric roof, a floor mat for rear bed, the hillbilly brake and now the winch. This buggy is going to be mostly used as a work horse around my property with occasional (1-2 per year) week long treks down to baja.

It kind of seems like the "pre wired for winch" is somewhat of a joke. It should more read something like, "Pre-wired to accept Honda winch wiring kit purchased separately for $250".

Steve

Reactions: Timb2-_
MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm both mechanically and dc electrically inclined...yet, I'm using the honda wiring as much as possible. It's just cleaner and a no brainers for me.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes thanks. I plan to have a wait and see on the dual battery. I winched a ton on my polaris ranger with only one battery. I might add a light bar but that is about it. Also I have a couple of those little Lithium packs to jump start me if I plan to be out in the boonies. Im kind of coming to the end of my additions with the winch. I have the 1/2 skid UHMV plate, the fabric roof, a floor mat for rear bed, the hillbilly brake and now the winch. This buggy is going to be mostly used as a work horse around my property with occasional (1-2 per year) week long treks down to baja.

It kind of seems like the "pre wired for winch" is somewhat of a joke. It should more read something like, "Pre-wired to accept Honda winch wiring kit purchased separately for $250".

Steve

The short answer why most of us run a second battery for the winch is not because we are afraid of getting stranded with a dead battery, but because the transmissions on these machine heavily rely on having a constant 12 volts (or thereabout) to avoid damaging them under stress. (something to do with tranny fluid pump?) So with a single battery, when the winch is being used, keep the transmission in neutral and the RPM's up. A second battery that is being used for the winch, that is isolated from the main battery, now you can used the transmission to help get out of whatever mess you got into, without worry of damaging your transmission. Another reason guys put volt meters on each other batteries to keep an eye on keeping the main battery at 12 volts.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The short answer why most of us run a second battery for the winch is not because we are afraid of getting stranded with a dead battery, but because the transmissions on these machine heavily rely on having a constant 12 volts (or thereabout) to avoid damaging them under stress. (something to do with tranny fluid pump?) So with a single battery, when the winch is being used, keep the transmission in neutral and the RPM's up. A second battery that is being used for the winch, that is isolated from the main battery, now you can used the transmission to help get out of whatever mess you got into, without worry of damaging your transmission. Another reason guys put volt meters on each other batteries to keep an eye on keeping the main battery at 12 volts.

Ahhh...I didn't know that. It would be good to see the curve on how many amps the alternator puts out compared to rpms. I might go with a second battery after all.

Reactions: 99NTRAIN
advertisement
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ahhh...I didn't know that. It would be good to see the curve on how many amps the alternator puts out compared to rpms. I might go with a second battery after all.

I've heard the output of these alternators is not very impressive.

P

PioneerDuluth

Mar 28, 2018
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think the whole, "prewired for winch" deal is just the pre-installed ground wire for the winch. I have a 2016 P1K, and according to my service manual, starting in 2017 the machines came from the factory with a winch ground wire preinstalled. I installed my winch ground in the same place as the 2017 factory location according to the manual, but it was quite an effort to run the wire so I see why they just did it from the factory. I would imagine all the shops calling them complaining how it takes an extra 30-60 minutes of shop time, etc....

I also have the Warn/Honda winch, and used whatever Honda harness came with it to supply power to the corded winch control with the plug I located on the dash. I have since installed a rocker in my dash to control the winch as well (the beauty of the control relay located under the dash.