P500 Soft doors questions.

Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Are they worth the money? Can you have the full cab installed while hauling in truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
J

Jshell3

Jason1234,
I live in Mississippi, so the weather doesn't require even a windshield... much less doors.
But I did want to welcome you to the forum. Thanks for joining.
Maybe one of our northern members can help answer this on @trigger or @solrus

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Jason1234,
I live in Mississippi, so the weather doesn't require even a windshield... much less doors.
But I did want to welcome you to the forum. Thanks for joining.
Maybe one of our northern members can help answer this on @trigger or @solrus

Welcome to the club Jason!
Solrus has the full cab, he's in Montana. Thought about it for mine but the doors don't seal all that well.
@solrus is the guy for heat, I have a heated cushion on mine for plowing.

Reactions: Jshell3
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Worth the money for me because I use mine in cold and inclement weather. The large gaps between the frame and doors are irritating at times.

I transport mine in the bed of my truck all the time BUT I have a specific way of hauling it. It has to be loaded backwards otherwise the doors will be ripped off by the wind. Also for added security I run straps around the cab to hold the doors tight. Even with that they still bulge because the gaps allow air to force into the cab, thus making a high pressure zone inside the cab. If you wanted you could unclip them for transporting. Only takes a few seconds.

Reactions: solrus and Jshell3
Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club Jason!
Solrus has the full cab, he's in Montana. Thought about it for mine but the doors don't seal all that well.
@solrus is the guy for heat, I have a heated cushion on mine for plowing.

Thanks!! I hope to come to the club ride to meet and ride!

Reactions: Jshell3 and trigger
Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Worth the money for me because I use mine in cold and inclement weather. The large gaps between the frame and doors are irritating at times.

I transport mine in the bed of my truck all the time BUT I have a specific way of hauling it. It has to be loaded backwards otherwise the doors will be ripped off by the wind. Also for added security I run straps around the cab to hold the doors tight. Even with that they still bulge because the gaps allow air to force into the cab, thus making a high pressure zone inside the cab. If you wanted you could unclip them for transporting. Only takes a few seconds.

Thanks good feedback. I haul mine front in. But going to go back in.. seems to fit better... Seems like it could work then. Picture show the doors not a good seal but must be good enough.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks good feedback. I haul mine front in. But going to go back in.. seems to fit better... Seems like it could work then. Picture show the doors not a good seal but must be good enough.

They would be good to keep the wind off of you. Expensive as hell though.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I keep thinking about ways to seal up the cab. I wasn't real impressed with the doors when I saw them but I still might end up going that route. Not many alternatives. They are expensive but cheaper than a $2000 full cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jshell3
Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Does the windows come out? Or zipper out?

Last edited:
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Does the windows come out? Or zipper out?

They zip out then you roll them like a sleeping bag. There's a little strap that snaps around them to keep them rolled down.

Also be careful backing it into a pickup. I've got the 27" bighorns and my exhaust is about an inch from my rear window. Before getting the larger tires I put pieces of 2X6 between the rear tires and the bed wall to keep the exhaust from shattering my rear window.

Reactions: Oregonkirk and JTW
advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jason1234, use my build thread pictures to see how they look.

1. I used homedepot tubing isolation to seal some gaps, I do it every winter , you will find it in my post
2. I do transport with doors on , but they could be pushed in a bit and so far it worked if haul 65 mph or less.
3. windows has zip lock
4. For me its very helpful in the windy weather , saves heat a lot, if wind blows hard and its minus 20-40F then you need them for sure, even if it rains hard , they are still better then nothing.
5. I have mini heater so they help to retain some heat and good enough to keep air moving so "toots" dont stay too long. :)

my build thread in my signature or here P500 - SOLRUS's P500

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My neighbor bought The Gator™ XUV550 Crossover Utility Vehicle ,ohhh man, that full cabin is something I was dying for to have for pioneer 500.

Reactions: joeymt33
Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
They zip out then you roll them like a sleeping bag. There's a little strap that snaps around them to keep them rolled down.

Also be careful backing it into a pickup. I've got the 27" bighorns and my exhaust is about an inch from my rear window. Before getting the larger tires I put pieces of 2X6 between the rear tires and the bed wall to keep the exhaust from shattering my rear window.

Good point on backing it in. I have 26inch vipr and when I measured it looks close. I have a gmc.

Jason1234

Jason1234

Oct 18, 2015
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Jason1234, use my build thread pictures to see how they look.

1. I used homedepot tubing isolation to seal some gaps, I do it every winter , you will find it in my post
2. I do transport with doors on , but they could be pushed in a bit and so far it worked if haul 65 mph or less.
3. windows has zip lock
4. For me its very helpful in the windy weather , saves heat a lot, if wind blows hard and its minus 20-40F then you need them for sure, even if it rains hard , they are still better then nothing.
5. I have mini heater so they help to retain some heat and good enough to keep air moving so "toots" dont stay too long. :)

my build thread in my signature or here P500 - SOLRUS's P500

Looks nice. The doors do look like they stick out a bit. I can see wind and rain come in wile driving.

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I've got the doors and find them working better than i thought they would when i first looked at them. To fully seal your going to have to cover up a lot of spaces as solrus said.
The doors billow when transporting .Really a must to strap right around to keep them from flying off .
With a heater its really comfortable,at least seems so to -15 C. Not really that cold I know. I've got my winter gear on anyways and am looking for shelter from the rain or snow. The defrost keeps windows clear,and adds heat as a side benefit .Gotta see where your going !

Reactions: solrus and ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm going to see a local guy tonight about getting some doors made. He made a cab for my friend's 700 and it turned out nice. I'm hoping he can make me some doors that can be removed easily, and work with the existing doors and other accessories I have....

Reactions: chrisC
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to see a local guy tonight about getting some doors made. He made a cab for my friend's 700 and it turned out nice. I'm hoping he can make me some doors that can be removed easily, and work with the existing doors and other accessories I have....

Can you post pics and may be ask him how much he would ask for them?

Longbrake500

Longbrake500

Aug 13, 2016
Anna Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda soft doors and they fit better then I was expecting after reading reviews on them. They have a few gaps that I thought they could have done a little better design to close up but with the heat off the engine alone with the full windshield and the back Honda window it gets warm in the cab. I used it to fertilize the yard and it was around 60 I had to tilt out the front window and roll down all of the windows because I was sweating.

Reactions: SBuckJ
advertisement