So what did you get, or give yourself for Christmas?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’ll love the spool gun... for $200 everyone should add it if they have the 210. Be sure to use 100% argon or it will look like volcanic rock. I’m still figuring out aluminum but it’s getting better. Just have to have real clean metal and your flow rate up about twice higher than steel.
Yep on the CLEAN aluminum. When I did a test run at Tractor Supply opening, my weld looked like a pro. They had it set up PERFECT. After buying the spoolgun and trying it at home on old aluminum, it look like a blind man's attempt ..... lol.

J

JTW

Yep on the CLEAN aluminum. When I did a test run at Tractor Supply opening, my weld looked like a pro. They had it set up PERFECT. After buying the spoolgun and trying it at home on old aluminum, it look like a blind man's attempt ..... lol.
Yeah... I struggled with that for a while. I thought it was clean enough. But I had gotten some aluminum from the scrap yard and nothing I did looked worth a s***. Finally, I bought a couple pieces of new clean stuff and cleaned them with a new dedicated stainless brush and acetone and that’s when I made some pretty decent beads. I’ve always heard about how it had to be clean clean clean... I just never imagined how critical that really was.

J

JTW

@BigOL3 or @Dirtstiffs-1000 the one thing I wish was different about the welder is the ability to run the spool gun without having to take off the torch. It would be awesome if there were a second lug port for the spool gun. Then I wouldn’t have to swap so much over. I would even be happy if I could find a splitter for the port.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Yeah... I struggled with that for a while. I thought it was clean enough. But I had gotten some aluminum from the scrap yard and nothing I did looked worth a s***. Finally, I bought a couple pieces of new clean stuff and cleaned them with a new dedicated stainless brush and acetone and that’s when I made some pretty decent beads. I’ve always heard about how it had to be clean clean clean... I just never imagined how critical that really was.

Spool gun 101 in order of importance.

clean aluminum.

high gas flow (100% argon)

push your bead. (10-10 degree angle)

use 3/64 wire. ( more forgiving of settings being slightly off)

hold the trigger half way to keep gas on the bead for a second after stopping.

lap welds are much easier than corners.

B8367907 FD95 4E5F 9298 5A64EBD04FDB

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I’ll keep that in mind..

A common quote from the greybeard I learned aluminum welding from.....

“you can’t be walking the dog boy! You need to run with the horses!”

this instruction is multi faceted.

aluminum transfers heat quickly, when starting a bead the weld will be “cold” (sounds like bacon frying) and you should plan on having a drastic change after welding 1-2” of bead when the base metal warms up. The sound will smooth out a little and the bead will flatten out and if the material is thin begin to come close to burning through. (This is the time to speed up and move quickly)

its not a bad idea to have a piece of scrap tacked to the side of your joint to put the initial “cold” portion of weld onto, then the good stuff goes where it belongs. This is often called a “tail in piece” it can be also done on the thicker portion of the two pieces you are welding together. (Bringing everything up to temp)

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little on the pricey side but the 210 MVP welds a broad range of material and thickness' really well.
I forced myself to weld some 12" beads on 16 guage at 120 volt, which took some finesse.
It throws down really nice beads on everything up to 1/2" at 220 volt.
I also bought a spool gun for aluminum which I'll try this weekend. Hope it works. I never could tig weld for shi..

Added some 6000# weld on anchors to my flatbed trailer today. Super happy with this welder.
Sorry for making this a welding thread.
20191228 154406

20191228 151555

Reactions: TimG and Husker1
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok,
So I don't have a metal chop saw at my house.

Had a hack saw in my hand for about 5 minutes today... before doing this and 3 blades.
Buck fifty with help of an Azon gift card.

The "Old" 28715 style seems to have a 15 amp 5.5 HP rating. I could not find this rating on the "new" 28730 model, which costs more.
Has a 3 year warranty and 1 year Service contract.
1AUY9 AS03

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG
advertisement
J

JTW

Ok,
So I don't have a metal chop saw at my house.

Had a hack saw in my hand for about 5 minutes today... before doing this and 3 blades.
Buck fifty with help of an Azon gift card.

The "Old" 28715 style seems to have a 15 amp 5.5 HP rating. I could not find this rating on the "new" 28730 model, which costs more.
Has a 3 year warranty and 1 year Service contract.
View attachment 172878
You’d be amazed what you can cut with a regular chop saw blade.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
You’d be amazed what you can cut with a regular chop saw blade.
just cut my portal brackets up with a regular ole blade

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I do the same s***... usually just squinting real hard too
no i do run safety glasses and sheild when welding though. done got flash burn too many times to do that crap

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Cutting aluminum on a miter box is perfectly ok. You need to use a high tooth count blade and go slow. Way tighter angles and better cut edges.

Cutting steel on a wood miter box is going to be awful hard on the miter box.

A cold saw is best but $$$$ for the average joe.

Reactions: JTW
H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Dirtstiffs-1000
advertisement