Single vs. Dually

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
it used to be that a 3/4 and 1 ton srw were the same. This is no longer the case with Ford anyway. The 3/4 has a smaller rear axel that the 1 ton srw.

pre ‘16 Superduties had a leaf spring and a larger spacer in the rear spring pack.

1 ton Srw trucks have alway had larger payloads than their 3/4 ton counterparts.
think thats just a ford thing when i bought my truck i was debating dually srw 1 ton and 3/4. all of them had the exact rear end for the chevys except the gear ratio. the srw 1 ton and 3/4 was 200 lbs difference from each other as far as trailering was concerned and exact same on payload itself. and i still havent found anyone that can tell me where that 200 lbs difference is from cause i looked at 2 trucks. 2500 and 3500 single rear. identical
z71 package down to the color trim same exact motor rear gears the only difference i could find was the badge really. well and the 10k more price tag.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: VaHillbilly
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went dually because I wanted a service body to hold camping and pioneer supplies. I knew the 2,300lb P1K5 would be about 5' in the air and I wanted the extra stability with that much weight that high. So far I have no regrets, but I don't use this as my daily driver other than while camping.

20191020 181945

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I went dually because I wanted a service body to hold camping and pioneer supplies. I knew the 2,300lb P1K5 would be about 5' in the air and I wanted the extra stability with that much weight that high. So far I have no regrets, but I don't use this as my daily driver other than while camping.

View attachment 163474
I kinda thought you’re service truck was cool saw that awhile back.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 163474
That looks like a rollover looking for a place to happen.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
From my experience, I would recommend a dually for running loaded long distances. Not only are they more stable when loaded heavier, but you have that much more weighted rubber on the pavement in case you need to stop quickly, cross winds ( Wyoming) affect the dually noticeably less. In addition if you would have a blow out or flat rear tire you have the ability to stop in a safe location without ruining the wheel.

All that being said, if you are not going to be towing long distances (400+ miles) for approximately 30+ days a year, the benefits of the SRW may offset the DRW for ride, parking, and maneuverability for the 330 days a year you don't require it.

Having had some close calls over the last 700k miles with the DRW towing big Toyhaulers in low traction situations I personally never see me going back to SRW between cars spinning out hydroplaning in front of me in Iowa (4x no less) and a nasty cross wind on black ice in Wyoming pushing me across 2 lanes at low speed, I feel certain had I only had SRW that either I would have jackknifed or not gotten slowed down in time to avoid a collision multiple times.

It really boils down to personal preference and comfort of what you feel safe in depending upon how much you use or need the additional benefits of the DRW vs SRW. As far as towing / load capacity these newer trucks are all more than capable, however go back 8+ years to 2010 and older models they cannot begin to compare with the current capacity and safety standards built in the current generation of HD pickups.

Hope you find a good solution for your needs.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
CP, I have owned both. A lot more SRW trucks and DRW. But both times I have owned DRW trucks, I have needed them.

First DRW was when I had a 10 foot Lance slide in camper and even them I was overweight in that 2003 F350. That truck needed bags to make it “comfortable” with the camper and a Jeep in tow.

I had a ‘17 F250 when I bought my current toyhauler and pulled with it for a year. I was over on every weight measure but it pulled fine ... real issue was rough pavement would cause the rear suspension to bottom HARD even with bags at 80+ PSI. With the bags set low, the truck rode rough but I didn’t really realize the difference until I bought the dually this year

It handles the weight soooooo much better than the last truck. No bags on it and I have yet to bottom the rear suspension driving over the same roads. But what surprised me is that the ride empty is better than the 250 was with the bags at minimum pressure. The rear will still beat me if the bump is sharp enough for the ovreloads to contact, but it really is a surprisingly good ride.

Now for the negatives ... if I lived in town or had to drive into town a lot, I think I would slit my wrists. It just simply is a PITA to park in crowded lots. I live in the sticks and commit 75 miles a day round trip. Right now I average 18.6 - 19.4 MPG while commuting - including all commuting miles - which is better than my F250 got. Not bad for an 8700 pound vehicle!

View attachment 163471

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theres an obvious difference in the ford vs chevy thing here.

sounds about on par.

VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 163474
That's a sweet looking setup! Love it!

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks like a rollover looking for a place to happen.
I was concerned when I started the project about putting it on a truck. I researched all of the commercial racks and platforms and couldn't believe how many are on SRW trucks. I was very happy that the Pioneer fits entirely inside the duals and the truck squats less than 2 inches. I took the truck out and did swerves and figure 8's to see how much body roll I had. The result was virtually none at normal speeds. My last concern was the aerodynamics and obviously making sure it didn't come off. I am very comfortable with the way the setup has turned out. The only part that makes me nervous still is the loading/ unloading. The 10' ramps still seem short. Lol

The boards in the rear photo were for mock up. It now has SS. Brackets bolted in that support the ramps.

20190903 184919 20191015 092947

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have had both. The dually is a lot more stable but the fenders are subject to rock pecks and get dirty a lot quicker than the rest of the truck. It is harder to park, a little worse on fuel mileage, can't run it through a brushless car wash and rotating tires is a little more involved. If parking was easy I would still have mine.The duallies look better IMO.
IMG 1526

IMG 1524

Last edited:
advertisement
S

schlepprock250

Jun 14, 2018
Nc
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Why go with the "do I need it" frame of mind?
I went from a '14 srw to an' 18 drw and love it. With the spring set up on the new trucks the ride is no worse than the srw.
I do tow a 38' travel trailer and carry a golf cart in the bed, but have yet to tow with the drw.
I think an srw will certainly do better in the snow but I still have my '99 f250 4x4 for that. 12437b1880670136c83e113d3a2e31ca

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Why go with the "do I need it" frame of mind?
I went from a '14 srw to an' 18 drw and love it. With the spring set up on the new trucks the ride is no worse than the srw.
I do tow a 38' travel trailer and carry a golf cart in the bed, but have yet to tow with the drw.
I think an srw will certainly do better in the snow but I still have my '99 f250 4x4 for that. View attachment 163644

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Clearly there are many whom don’t believe they need it. This can be demonstrated by the many that are using 1/2 tons pulling 38’ travel trailers all over the place with quads and golf carts in the backend.

The op asked about the reasons for and against.

Roll with what makes you happy.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I have had both. The dually is a lot more stable but the fenders are subject to rock pecks and get dirty a lot quicker than the rest of the truck. It is harder to park, a little worse on fuel mileage, can't run it through a brushless car wash and rotating tires is a little more involved. If parking was easy I would still have mine.The duallies look better IMO.
View attachment 163524
View attachment 163525

Are they both 4wd...the first pick for some reason looks lower to the ground? Maybe it’s the picture angle?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Y’all keep commenting like CP is going to be buying a new truck... if it ain’t a 30 year old Dodge he ain’t rolling in it!
Lmao. It’s almost like you know me. I’m still reading through and listening to pros and cons, not so much brand vs brand or old vs new. Found it all interesting though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Clearly there are many whom don’t believe they need it. This can be demonstrated by the many that are using 1/2 tons pulling 38’ travel trailers all over the place with quads and golf carts in the backend.

The op asked about the reasons for and against.

Roll with what makes you happy.
Our friend camps with 1/2ton Chev and pulls a 25ft tongue mount with a Polaris quad in back. He’s now looking at a 700-4 or Wolverine as a replacement to the quad and a 30ft tongue mount.
Imo that’s a bit too much. Can appreciate if that’s all you could do but that’s not his situation. I’d personally rather be a little overkill. He’s already complained some about the load but he’s increasing the weight which is weird to me. But like you say he doesn’t believe he needs more truck and likes his pickup.
My father on the extreme pulled an older 38ft double with a 1/2ton reg cab short bed 94 Ram with a 5-speed v6 for awhile. Did bags and 3/4 springs and the whole deal to get it done. He’s nuts though. Always bragged it made it but would tell ya it was sketchy at times breaking and cornering.
He’s also pulled a 32 around with an Isuzu Trooper some.
I gained a lot of knowledge from my Dad but that’s something I just didn’t follow with. People going to do what they’re going to do.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
thats exactly what my dad does all the time was talking about putting a gooseneck hitch in his 05 single cab 4.8 liter sierra so he could use my 28 ft trailer. iv seen him pulling 80 model homemade tractor trailer 20' with a 18 ft newer trailer behind it a 36 horse mahindra with bushhog ,box blade, disc . a honda big red with polaris 500 sportsman all in 1 go. i dont know how much the trailer weights but it feels heavier than my 28 ft gooseneck then his 18 ft is 2k id bet hes probably close to about 22k rolling down the road like that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Our 07 3500 SRW Dodge handles a 700-4 on truck and 27' camper behind it quite nicely. Handles better with the trailer on, as it is sitting on the overload/helper springs. With just the 700 on the back it is just off the helpers and feels like it bounces off them a bit. We head to the mountains of NH or Maine usually, no less than 200 miles each way.
The 12 valve holds the weight pretty good too but the brakes are not as good as on the 3rd gen.

advertisement