CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for letting me ride along with you, CID. (In the video, of course.) I

t looked like your Talon was almost too wide to fit through some of the trees on each side of the trail.
I was the widest SxS there and definitely paid a price for that lack of maneuverability. But I enjoyed the challenge of working my way through each obstacle. I'm always learning and always getting better. CP's gang watched over me, making sure I made it through anywhere we went. You can see Wade and Michael in the Yami Wolverine in front of me making sure I got through everything before continuing.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was the widest SxS there and definitely paid a price for that lack of maneuverability. But I enjoyed the challenge of working my way through each obstacle. I'm always learning and always getting better. CP's gang watched over me, making sure I made it through anywhere we went. You can see Wade and Michael in the Yami Wolverine in front of me making sure I got through everything before continuing.
They really enjoyed doing that. I think it was a challenge for them to get through without trashing something. They were just drinking beers with tunes up not a care in the world😉
Everyone says you’re welcome anytime, thank you for the great memories!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Buddy, those memories work both ways. :cool:

Took a ride when I got home, 27 miles of rokz and moar rokz. :oops:

One of my big disappointments with video is its inability to show how steep some sections are, even the drive up to the bottom does no justice to some climbs – the climb at :50 is one of those. As I approached, it took my breath away – Holeee s***!
yikes.gif

A hold my beer moment ensued.
x.gif

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yesterday, fairly close to Denver -

This turned me back coming in from the top since it was my way out. There's a 2' drop right in front of me, it's a creek so the rocks are wet and slippery (duh :rolleyes:) and I wasn't sure I could get back up it.

Closer shot -

I found a way around and came up from the bottom. That starts at 13:20 if you don't want to watch the whole video. I don't mind rough but I don't want to screw up the body plastics. Don't know why the gauges are intermittent.

The day's track in green. This screen shot is also showing how much riding is in the area and why I like the GAIA track log so much, I know where I haven't been. It also shows how lost I could get without some sort of track log. The trailer is at the pin, top, just left of center.

Last edited:
advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
CID, your rides are impressive!!

You are definitely "getting your money's worth" out of your Talon. I'm surprised the wheels don't break off and leave you stranded.

Are you experiencing any failures? Have you replaced suspension bushings and hard parts. frame breakage, DCT issues?

When I ride along with you (in your videos) I feel like I'm going to fall over to the left or driver's side. Is your camera mounted plumb?

How would you get back to your camper and trailer if you suffer a serious break-down in that rugged country?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
CID, your rides are impressive!!

You are definitely "getting your money's worth" out of your Talon. I'm surprised the wheels don't break off and leave you stranded.

Are you experiencing any failures? Have you replaced suspension bushings and hard parts. frame breakage, DCT issues?

When I ride along with you (in your videos) I feel like I'm going to fall over to the left or driver's side. Is your camera mounted plumb?

How would you get back to your camper and trailer if you suffer a serious break-down in that rugged country?
Thanks, Harvey, I'm glad you enjoy them. 👍

Failures - not 'yet'. :oops: I may be putting too much faith in Honda's reliability reputation, and I don't like all the electronics on the thing but so far, so good. I'm nearing 8,000 miles and haven't replaced anything but oil and tires. No frame or DCT problems, suspension or hard parts including brakes so far.

The camera mount and its attendant tilt, irritates the crap out of me. The mounts are serrated, it's either tilted to the left or right, depending on which 'tooth' I choose, there is no level position. :(

How would I get out - Humans have survived because of our ability to adapt to adversity but depending on that has also killed a lot of stupid humans. I hope not to become one of them but I don't want to quit life because I'm afraid of 'stuff'. Here in Kalirado (almost all of my mountain riding) is fairly heavily trafficked in the summer months. I rode yesterday, Monday, and saw several other vehicles that could help me get back to my tow vehicle. There are only a few evil people who would leave me walking. I hope I never have to find out. I also carry a SPOT tracking device with a 911 button and carry insurance for search and rescue.

If I could find a local group with similar interests in what I like to ride, I'd surely join them but I haven't so far. I had a bucket load of fun hanging with @CumminsPusher and his gang over the July 4th weekend.

The desert, even in spring and fall, is more intimidating. There are far fewer people and the distances are YUGE.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks, Harvey, I'm glad you enjoy them. 👍

Failures - not 'yet'. :oops: I may be putting too much faith in Honda's reliability reputation, and I don't like all the electronics on the thing but so far, so good. I'm nearing 8,000 miles and haven't replaced anything but oil and tires. No frame or DCT problems, suspension or hard parts including brakes so far.

The camera mount and its attendant tilt, irritates the crap out of me. The mounts are serrated, it's either tilted to the left or right, depending on which 'tooth' I choose, there is no level position. :(

How would I get out - Humans have survived because of our ability to adapt to adversity but depending on that has also killed a lot of stupid humans. I hope not to become one of them but I don't want to quit life because I'm afraid of 'stuff'. Here in Kalirado (almost all of my mountain riding) is fairly heavily trafficked in the summer months. I rode yesterday, Monday, and saw several other vehicles that could help me get back to my tow vehicle. There are only a few evil people who would leave me walking. I hope I never have to find out. I also carry a SPOT tracking device with a 911 button and carry insurance for search and rescue.

If I could find a local group with similar interests in what I like to ride, I'd surely join them but I haven't so far. I had a bucket load of fun hanging with @CumminsPusher and his gang over the July 4th weekend.

The desert, even in spring and fall, is more intimidating. There are far fewer people and the distances are YUGE.

That's significant news that you've done 8,000 miles of off-road riding in mostly rough to extremely rough terrain and have experienced no component failures. It makes me wonder about those who have experienced broken frames and suspension components.

I didn't know you had a SPOT tracker. That's very smart imo. That device can save your life if you and your Talon fall off a mountain road.

I agree with your philosophy. "I don't want to quit life." I've expressed exactly the same words. After 30 years without a motorcycle I bought a like-new Honda ST-1300 for my 68th birthday present to myself. I quickly discovered I enjoyed long distance riding and moved on to two new Goldwings in succession. a yellow 2010 and a blue 2014. but have quit now. I had a wonderful time riding all 48 contiguous states and the southern tier of Canadian provinces from BC to NS. I finally had to give it up at age 74 because my vision was failing. Now at age 80 I seldom drive on public streets and highways. Now I have a few photos, the memories, and "sea stories." Plus an Iron Butt certificate and membership.

It's easy to sit down in front of the television set and begin dying but life is to be lived. I would be riding the WV trails in my Pioneer or even better, touring on a new Goldwing with DCT if I could see well enough.

You'll probably be first in line to buy a new generation Talon if Honda introduces one. Don't give up until you have to. I think you'll live longer and sure as hell have more fun if you're still living life.

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even the P1k5’s hold up well. I ride some pretty rough trails here in Arizona and the only problems I’ve had in almost 4,800 miles have been a couple of flats with original tires and an intermittent failure with an injector harness.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You, @CID, and @DG Rider would have been stranded on a mountain trail with a broken rubber-band long ago if you had been driving the snowmobile brand names.

Personal preferences are just that - personal for personal reasons - but I don't see how anyone can credibly criticize the reliability of Honda products.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You, @CID, and @DG Rider would have been stranded on a mountain trail with a broken rubber-band long ago if you had been driving the snowmobile brand names.

Personal preferences are just that - personal for personal reasons - but I don't see how anyone can credibly criticize the reliability of Honda products.
I snowmobiled for 25 years and will do whatever I have to, to never own another CVT vehicle. (a side note - the CVT is about the only transmission that'll work in a deep powder sled) I'll learn to drive the Talon around whatever shortcomings it may have. The six speed, dual range, paddle shiftin' dirt kart is more fun than should be legal.
x.gif

It isn't only the CVT parts that are failing on the Poo Poo and Canned Ham, their engineering just isn't up to the Japanese IMO. The KRX seems to be suffering more teething pains than is normal for the Japs but what do I know, I've only owned a Talon. My terrain might be rocky but I'm still a mechanically sympathetic driver, I have to be, I'm usually solo and that goes a long way to help reliability.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I snowmobiled for 25 years and will do whatever I have to, to never own another CVT vehicle. (a side note - the CVT is about the only transmission that'll work in a deep powder sled) I'll learn to drive the Talon around whatever shortcomings it may have. The six speed, dual range, paddle shiftin' dirt kart is more fun than should be legal.
x.gif

It isn't only the CVT parts that are failing on the Poo Poo and Canned Ham, their engineering just isn't up to the Japanese IMO. The KRX seems to be suffering more teething pains than is normal for the Japs but what do I know, I've only owned a Talon. My terrain might be rocky but I'm still a mechanically sympathetic driver, I have to be, I'm usually solo and that goes a long way to help reliability.
CID, I like the term mechanically sympathetic driver. I think it fits my driving as well. Still running original brake pads at 4800 miles, but will probably pick up a couple of tie rod ends and a ball joint for spares for the AZPT ride.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yesterday, fairly close to Denver -
View attachment 345757

This turned me back coming in from the top since it was my way out. There's a 2' drop right in front of me, it's a creek so the rocks are wet and slippery (duh :rolleyes:) and I wasn't sure I could get back up it.
View attachment 345758

Closer shot -
View attachment 345760

I found a way around and came up from the bottom. That starts at 13:20 if you don't want to watch the whole video. I don't mind rough but I don't want to screw up the body plastics. Don't know why the gauges are intermittent.

The day's track in green. This screen shot is also showing how much riding is in the area and why I like the GAIA track log so much, I know where I haven't been. It also shows how lost I could get without some sort of track log. The trailer is at the pin, top, just left of center.
View attachment 345759
love the video and thanks for sharing. that looks like some ruff riding.

advertisement