H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Talon is sooo much fun its easy to keep my Fun Meter Pegged. Did another test today. I have it set at 12 inches of ground clearance with a 15 pound tool bag in the back. I'm running 12 PSI in the back and 10 in the front. I tried 16 yesterday and its still amazing but I rarely hit anything at high speed so 10 and 8 may be ok if I'm not going over 45 mph. Next test will be with the Suzuki Motorcycle in the back and more preload to keep it at 12 inches of ground clearance. I'm doing the same 60 mile loop with my stock 2020 Talon R. I run the cross over rings up enough to get about 95% of the tender spring before cross over.

Reactions: 1HasBeen and CID
U

Ugly

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks PaulF for the comments and pictures. They help a lot.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I luv me sum Talon R dual range, 6 spd, DCT, paddle shiftin', geared, NO DAMN BELT, sport SxS. 😎 The YXZ was in the running until I saw guys trying to rock climb the thing, the 5 speed gearing is still wrong after yearly attempts to get it right. The high rpm horsepower lit those tires right up in the climb, :eek: not my style. I really like being able to up shift on those long, flat cruising sections instead of spinning the motor up for no reason. :)
Yep, had a 2017 YXZ SS SE and it was a fun machine but was the WRONG machine for what i like to do.

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just added the Dirt Works bed with Rotopax gas and water on the gate. Also added the JEI Off-road spare tire carrier. Back of the Talon is definitely down a bit now. Will have to see how it handles with the extra weight and if that’s what it needs.

57A01D66 EED4 49BD B57E 7D469D95A339

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since this is sorta the Talon suspension thread, I'll add this -

Answering a question elsewhere, I said that removing the sway bar would soften the suspension 'some' because the swaybar ties the left and right suspension together, both spring rate and shock valving, in effect making both stiffer/firmer. Since the Talon will never be accused of being plush or supple, a light went on, an AHA moment. So last night I removed both SB links and tied the bar up to the frame.

I'm happy to report it did exactly what I'd hoped - my R rides much better and compared to stock, is 'nearing' plush. Perfect, no, of course not, but noticeably softer than with the swaybar connected.

Note that I don't drive like my hair's on fire, so the minimal lean resulting from disconnecting the SB won't affect my riding. If you DO ride like your hair is on fire (you KNOW who you are :eek:), this probably isn't something you should consider. This experiment is FREE and I can always go back.

Also note that I have my rear crossover rings raised 20 turns (15 on the fronts) and on my Talon is as far as I can go. This means I use as much travel as possible while on the softer tender springs before crossing over to the stiffer mains. This may also mean that I'll get a worse rear bucking on harder hits, not sure. :(

You can see that there's still a bit of clearance left, before coil bind, on the left rear but not much. If that zip tie gets cut from pinching, 20 turns will prove to be too many. Both sides are pretty much the same.
I 4Tvb4VR X2

How to compress to check? Park across a rut, opposite corners. For the curious, I completely forgot to look at the fronts. 🤫
I 2RwRjfd M

I 4fqvQFp M

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Answering a question elsewhere, I said that removing the sway bar would soften the suspension 'some' because the swaybar ties the left and right suspension together, both spring rate and shock valving, in effect making both stiffer/firmer. Since the Talon will never be accused of being plush or supple, a light went on, an AHA moment. So last night I removed both SB links and tied the bar up to the frame.

I'm happy to report it did exactly what I'd hoped - my R rides much better and compared to stock, is 'nearing' plush. Perfect, no, of course not, but noticeably softer than with the swaybar connected.

Note that I don't drive like my hair's on fire, so the minimal lean resulting from disconnecting the SB won't affect my riding. If you DO ride like your hair is on fire (you KNOW who you are :eek:), this probably isn't something you should consider.

I should probably do this to my Teryx 800 since that thing rides really harsh. I like to drive my Talon, um, enthusiastically and I have no hair so I think it's safe to say you weren't referring to me. :cool:

Pretty sure my sway bar kept me from rolling it on it's side here...

IMG 20200514 152727336 BURST015 XL
IMG 20200514 152727336 BURST016 XL

Reactions: Ragnar406
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I should probably do this to my Teryx 800 since that thing rides really harsh. I like to drive my Talon, um, enthusiastically and I have no hair so I think it's safe to say you weren't referring to me. :cool:

Pretty sure my sway bar kept me from rolling it on it's side here...

View attachment 207586View attachment 207587

Ummm, enthusiastically indeed. :oops: An' yer bald cuz yer hair's burnt off. :p

Reactions: IDIOT and Lil_Steve
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I disconnected my sway bar last year for a short time. It did improve the ride but the body lean while coming down a winding paved road made me realize I really needed it so I hooked it right back up.

Rock crawling a few weeks ago, my BIL commented on how well the front articulated but the back was s***. I decided I sometime need a sway bar and sometimes not so I ordered a Quick Release Sway Bar Link kit to try. It allows you to disconnect/connect the sway bar in less than 30 seconds. Hope it doesn't rattle too much...

Reactions: CID and TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now looking at my R to see if there is anything that can be done to improve the geometry, I started measuring and applying the "formula" that he shows in the video and it just doesn't add up for me. Sorry for the crude drawing but it will help see what I see.

• The Green lines represent the point of the ground and forward thrust through the pivot point. This is easy to figure out.
  • Black circle is fully extended rear suspension.
  • The Blue line represents the COG's approximate Longitudinal location. This is calculated with a 220 lb driver and nothing else. This calculation is based on Honda's 55% rear weight. Without scales, it is impossible to determine the actual line but it is pretty close.
  • Also without scales, it is impossible to calculate the COG's Altitudinal location. BUT...
  • If what he says is true, the COG would need to be somewhere where the Red box is and that is near impossible on a SXS like the Talon. If the Talon's COG was that low, it would very difficult to roll.
  • The Pink circle is where the COG most likely is on the Talon so by his demonstration on the whiteboard, the Talon should not buck.
This is very crude but points out some interesting things. I will see if my buddy still has his race scales and get some accurate weights, calculate the exact COG and post back.

View attachment 206057
His "formula" is the wrong one for the R suspension.
It is correct for the X.

For the R use the anti-squat calc shown here:

View attachment 206060

This is a simplified approximation that neglects a few factors, but it is an easy place to start without several advanced degrees.
The lower link is the lower blue line, the upper blue line follows the front half of the upper A-arm (not the pivot axis for reasons I am not getting in to here).

Still bucks but not for the reasons in the video.

Edit: to clarify, this is the method to find the instant center. This is not a comment on how to modify the suspension for rock crawling.
@lee, I want to revisit these posts and would like to see if you can help? My so-called "Buddy" won't let me use his scales and I really always wanted some so I ordered a set and they arrived today (Speedway is the bomb, ordered on the 10th, delivered on the 12th). I will be working on ramps and a platform and use my 4 post rack to weigh and lift one end so I can accurately determine the COG on any SxS.

You mentioned above that the upper A-Arm does not use the pivot axis to determine the Instant Center so after I get all set up and determine my COG, are you willing to give me some pointers on how to exactly determine the Instant Center on my R?

20200612 165414

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I disconnected my sway bar last year for a short time. It did improve the ride but the body lean while coming down a winding paved road made me realize I really needed it so I hooked it right back up.

Rock crawling a few weeks ago, my BIL commented on how well the front articulated but the back was s***. I decided I sometime need a sway bar and sometimes not so I ordered a Quick Release Sway Bar Link kit to try. It allows you to disconnect/connect the sway bar in less than 30 seconds. Hope it doesn't rattle too much...

My photo host is down so I can't post the photos - I was just going to remove one link for my test but it looks like the SB will hit the upper A arm (wrong term) when articulating so I removed both and tied the SB up so it wouldn't hit. I didn't know that a quick connect link was available for the Talon, its existence would indicate that interference won't be a problem. 🤔

advertisement
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My photo host is down so I can't post the photos - I was just going to remove one link for my test but it looks like the SB will hit the upper A arm (wrong term) when articulating so I removed both and tied the SB up so it wouldn't hit. I didn't know that a quick connect link was available for the Talon, its existence would indicate that interference won't be a problem. 🤔
No, you can't just remove one side. The picture of the Quick Disconnect kit is misleading. It includes 2 links and hangers, not just one. You disconnect the right side, then the left, then hang the left and then hang the right. Their video only shows part of the procedure...

Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Weller Racing rear spring kit makes a good improvement. I'm testing on a 60 mile loop that I usually don't ride because its so rough and with large water bars. I had to add more preload with my Motorcycle in the back. The additional weight is around 130 pounds and its centered at the end of the bed. I'm still testing and comparing it with my 2020 Talon R with the tender spring cross over rings set to near tender spring coil bind. Both have the sway bar removed and that makes the suspension better especially in the rocky sections. I should get done testing sometime next week.

20200516 114115 resized

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
@lee, I want to revisit these posts and would like to see if you can help? My so-called "Buddy" won't let me use his scales and I really always wanted some so I ordered a set and they arrived today (Speedway is the bomb, ordered on the 10th, delivered on the 12th). I will be working on ramps and a platform and use my 4 post rack to weigh and lift one end so I can accurately determine the COG on any SxS.

You mentioned above that the upper A-Arm does not use the pivot axis to determine the Instant Center so after I get all set up and determine my COG, are you willing to give me some pointers on how to exactly determine the Instant Center on my R?

View attachment 207600
Your IC Will not change throughout the normal travel with stock pivot points with the same weights, only where you change ride height vs stock would change the point normally through the travel. Scales are probably best for setting corner balance weights and spring rates.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Reactions: IDIOT and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think I need that kit.
I know I need it! :)

As soon as I get it and install it, I'll do a review and report back on install, ease of use, rattle (my biggest concern) and overall thoughts.

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
H

HondaTech

Just a perspective from another suspension guy, who did my GMs suspension.

He said the ST spring kits are way over sprung and make the X ride stiffer than stock.

He also mentioned theyve never had a car win Best In The Desert. But he has, multiple times. 😁

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Just a perspective from another suspension guy, who did my GMs suspension.

He said the ST spring kits are way over sprung and make the X ride stiffer than stock.

He also mentioned theyve never had a car win Best In The Desert. But he has, multiple times. 😁

Where is this guy from? I think you are in Indiana and I am in Illinois. I would love to have someone more local to do my suspension. I was going to be sending mine off in the next month.....

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

Where is this guy from? I think you are in Indiana and I am in Illinois. I would love to have someone more local to do my suspension. I was going to be sending mine off in the next month.....

I'm in KY, work in OH.

GForce Racing is in Tennessee

Reactions: GPR1500SC
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
@HondaTech Thanks for the heads up on GForce Racing Technologies! He was awesome to talk with and I am going to be taking my car to them and they are going to set it up totally! Nothing against ST but GForce gave me a great feeling and that's where I am spending my $$!

advertisement