P1000 Shifting issue.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Visible marks where debris has been pressed between the inner and outer rotors of the pump. The first one had two clear spots all the way around the 9 lobe rotor in the pump. You could catch your finger nail on them. The last one had a similar pattern but only on two of the lobes in that part of the pump. The other two rotor groups in each pump had visible scuffing from debris. Most likely just left over machining material, but the patterned marks were my concern.

So to build on this marks on the pump....do u think that debris is being picked up and ran through during the breakin or being left in the pump during assembly? Reason I'm asking is I have changed the oil in both my P1000's with in the first 25 miles of break in and then again within 100miles and have had nothing but a solid machine. I do this with all new things that have a motor...most the breakin happens right off the bat and leaves that debris in the oil pan till changed.

I am really asking for own knowledge on and know how on these situations and if it would help anyone. Thanks.

H

HondaTech

Every new engine has some kind of debris inside it when assembled. It's impossible to clean everything out, that's why Honda wants a oil change so quickly to flush everything. I'd says these two just had something extra I'm them that caused the weird pattern marks inside the pump.

Reactions: Hometeam
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If any of that got into the valve body or other places and make one of the valves stick, it could apply pressure to the clutch at the wrong time or keep it engaged when it shouldn't be. It happens sometimes in older atvs as well, if the unit has been rally hot or had junk oil in it. That's what's strange about this one, being so new. Like I said even Honda doesn't really have an excuse for the clutch issues they are having. Imo, I think they need to gear the unit down or make the clutch larger. I've driven one of these in low gear to test some stuff out and it's Damm near impossible to be easy with it. They like to surge and hunt between 1st and 2nd. I can't see using low anywhere, it's not smooth enough to crawl. Even in M/T it surges up and down, the throttle won't stay steady cause of the high ass gearing they installed to get the top speed up.

I completely disagree with this statement:

"I think they need to gear the unit down or make the clutch larger. I've driven one of these in low gear to test some stuff out and it's Damm near impossible to be easy with it. They like to surge and hunt between 1st and 2nd. I can't see using low anywhere, it's not smooth enough to crawl. Even in M/T it surges up and down, the throttle won't stay steady cause of the high ass gearing they installed to get the top speed up"

Actually Its not, if you use this machine in real world applications you'll find LOW gear is plenty low. Your bosses blacktop parking lot will not justify LOW gear. LOW gear between 3-4K RPM @ 3-5 mph is great. MT is better, the ability to "hang" on to gears is the resason I went from the 700 to the 1000. For "Johnny rock crawler" it may NOT be low enough. But thats not who honda built this for.

Low Sport is great for 30mph and under. You want more? put it into high and it will go 66. Honda hit the nail on the head with this machine. The biggest problem is its too confusing for the "Average Joe" "Jane".

HIGH: AT
HIGH: MT
HIGH :Sport
LOW:AT
LOW:MT
LOW: Sport

Until you have numerous miles on this machine you wont unlock what its capable of. When my wifes family/friends come over and wanna go for as ride I tell her just put it in High auto. Is this machine to complicated and maybe thats why we see burnt clutches???

Thanks POLARIS for putting an Automatic on a 4-wheeler so that every idiot thinks they can ride one!!

H

HondaTech

I can't say that Ive ridden one very far or for a large amount of time. I work on these things everyday, so I get to drive every model but in a limited area. I have driven on in a very rocky, ledge and bump lined field. The P1K hated every minute of it in low, high was much better. The gear hunting I can deal with ( I ride a 87 Big Red it's never happy in 1st or 2nd), but the surging in engine speed is disconcerting. I could never get a even throttle input, it jumped up and down constantly. I'm not putting down Honda, I bleed Honda and won't own anything but one. They hit the nail on the head in several aspects, but I still think they are just a little high geared.

Reactions: Andrew
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't say that Ive ridden one very far or for a large amount of time. I work on these things everyday, so I get to drive every model but in a limited area. I have driven on in a very rocky, ledge and bump lined field. The P1K hated every minute of it in low, high was much better. The gear hunting I can deal with ( I ride a 87 Big Red it's never happy in 1st or 2nd), but the surging in engine speed is disconcerting. I could never get a even throttle input, it jumped up and down constantly. I'm not putting down Honda, I bleed Honda and won't own anything but one. They hit the nail on the head in several aspects, but I still think they are just a little high geared.

By no means am I insinuating you putting down Honda. I too bleed Honda red. However these Forums can make you go crazy........Snorkel this...Lift that... 2 batterys... 3 batterys.... etc. etc!! There is tons of GREAT info and ideas on this forum. Thats why I am here. Surging in engine speed comes with practice! Foot control with high revs is a b#$tch. NOT like a set of handlebars and your thumb!! My 86 loves 1st gear!!
Cj1cMqJWUAEqMvM

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

"I think they need to gear the unit down or make the clutch larger. I've driven one of these in low gear to test some stuff out and it's Damm near impossible to be easy with it. They like to surge and hunt between 1st and 2nd. I can't see using low anywhere, it's not smooth enough to crawl. Even in M/T it surges up and down, the throttle won't stay steady cause of the high ass gearing they installed to get the top speed up"

Actually Its not, if you use this machine in real world applications you'll find LOW gear is plenty low. Your bosses blacktop parking lot will not justify LOW gear. LOW gear between 3-4K RPM @ 3-5 mph is great. MT is better, the ability to "hang" on to gears is the resason I went from the 700 to the 1000. For "Johnny rock crawler" it may NOT be low enough. But thats not who honda built this for.

Low Sport is great for 30mph and under. You want more? put it into high and it will go 66. Honda hit the nail on the head with this machine. The biggest problem is its too confusing for the "Average Joe" "Jane".

Until you have numerous miles on this machine you wont unlock what its capable of. When my wifes family/friends come over and wanna go for as ride I tell her just put it in High auto. Is this machine to complicated and maybe thats why we see burnt clutches???

Thanks POLARIS for putting an Automatic on a 4-wheeler so that every idiot thinks they can ride one!!
I agree for the most part with gearing on this vehicle. By only a couple hundred miles I was happy with gearing and now with a couple thousand I'm even happier. I think with the multiple settings it's pretty easy to drive without it searching. Very slow rock crawls are a little difficult, it does it and has enough power but a little more clip it has power like a mountain goat. I think for most people in most situations it's great. My problem with the system is REVERSE! The crap you can get into with this vehicle rivals anything in low first BUT YOU CANNOT GET OUT WITHOUT SLIPPING a little. Low should include reverse! Or even better a separate reverse somehow so you could have high/low reverse (I realize that's asking a lot so low would be great) a lot of times you need a strong reverse to back up a hill,get out of the mud, pull a buddy out or skidding type things. You can feel it sometimes just pissed. I think this is what's causing issues for some and believe it to be part of my problem. I personally think it's a great system clutches are fairly easy to fix and reasonable. Keeps you from damaging anything else by being the weakest link. However reverse is almost a joke. It's now just meant as a means to get out of your parking spot.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I hope to clear the mud a little. It seems that both of you want the vehicle to be less jerky but the discussion turned into gear ratios.

I also agree with HondaTech. with 1,000 miles now, mine is broke in good. Low gear just sucks when in "auto". It will make your kid fall in the floor and spill your morning coffee. I rarely use low until I'm on rough terrain and then I use low in manual mode.

However, I don't think it's a gearing problem. The throttle is too sensitive. There should be a different ramp for throttle input when in low. The throttle is very touchy.

Also, I use my vehicle in "real world" applications as a property owner and hunter and reverse is terrible. I also use it for recreation as I am your " Johnny rock crawler". It's actually not that bad for that. There are no rules for how we should use our machine and we all have different opinions for what could be better. I say, "I wish that low gearing is lower". I know that it's ok for stock size tires. It's not Honda's fault that low is too high for 30" tires.

And Honda shows riders blasting thru trails in the commercials. They did build this for rec drivers as well as utility purpose. If it was utility purpose only, it would have half as much suspension travel and a bed that actually dumps. Some people like me like to push the limits, that's why we drive Honda, it holds up better.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree and said originally I wish they put a "low power mode" in this vehicle as it would be easy to build from a manufacturing standpoint and would drastically help this to be more user friendly but I was made to feel like I couldn't handle the power which is not the case. But you do have to watch your foot a little in extreme stuff at low/medium speeds in low and try to stay manual. It's good all around but some fine tuning and a couple features could definitely go a long ways. Maybe Honda will take some of our thoughts to the next level.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree and said originally I wish they put a "low power mode" in this vehicle as it would be easy to build from a manufacturing standpoint and would drastically help this to be more user friendly but I was made to feel like I couldn't handle the power which is not the case. But you do have to watch your foot a little in extreme stuff at low/medium speeds in low and try to stay manual. It's good all around but some fine tuning and a couple features could definitely go a long ways. Maybe Honda will take some of our thoughts to the next level.

Sent from iPhone

Oh yeah! I remember you saying that. That's a good statement.

Also, this is the best machine available at this time for me. Honda gets a lot of praise for that because there's a large selection to choose from.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya but I sure got flack for it!! I still think it would be great. Not just for novice riders but even more technical riders.
But we can all nit pick the 1000 a little and that's ok because the vehicle itself is very very good. We are just suggesting slightly better approaches to the end goal to make it even better. Why settle at being the best? Keep going! Push everyone to try even harder that's how technology works. We've just now evolved from the belt...next.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
advertisement
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I know this may seem to generic of a fix but the Throttle Max pedal adaptor that was suggested by @JACKAL at one time is a dream! It makes soft pedal inputs lots easier. My 8 year old can drive it now without spilling my beer in my lap!!) It really has been one the best mods I've done!) It doesn't fix reverse being to high....

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That may just be a good thing. The only time this bothers me a bit is slow crawls.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope to clear the mud a little. It seems that both of you want the vehicle to be less jerky but the discussion turned into gear ratios.

I also agree with HondaTech. with 1,000 miles now, mine is broke in good. Low gear just sucks when in "auto". It will make your kid fall in the floor and spill your morning coffee. I rarely use low until I'm on rough terrain and then I use low in manual mode.

However, I don't think it's a gearing problem. The throttle is too sensitive. There should be a different ramp for throttle input when in low. The throttle is very touchy.

Also, I use my vehicle in "real world" applications as a property owner and hunter and reverse is terrible. I also use it for recreation as I am your " Johnny rock crawler". It's actually not that bad for that. There are no rules for how we should use our machine and we all have different opinions for what could be better. I say, "I wish that low gearing is lower". I know that it's ok for stock size tires. It's not Honda's fault that low is too high for 30" tires.

And Honda shows riders blasting thru trails in the commercials. They did build this for rec drivers as well as utility purpose. If it was utility purpose only, it would have half as much suspension travel and a bed that actually dumps. Some people like me like to push the limits, that's why we drive Honda, it holds up better.

SIGNATURE:

We'll said johnny rock rawer,( I know from riding with you the other day lol). There are no rules to driving these rigs. The throttle is alittle sensitive but it's all part of the learning curve on how to drive the rig. You have to have foot finesse, and it comes with practice. The more challenging terrain you encounter the more you are shifting from high to low diff lock, 4wd 2wd, turf ,mt,at. Using all the extreme options for what the trail calls for. You have to learn to drive this rig, it's not your average gas and go sxs.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's pulling in gear, it may have stuck clutch. We had one that would run over a 4x4 if put into gear. If adjusting the shifter doesn't fix the issue then it's most likely the clutch. As far as the dealer having you wait 60 days, B.S. Call Honda and see if their attitude doesn't change real fast.
So if clutch is pulling as soon as put it in gear. Clutch most likely needs to be replaced? Mine is also I little hard to shift high to low, but I don't have to shut machine off. It has been pulling as soon as i put in gear for about 300 miles now.

H

HondaTech

By no means am I insinuating you putting down Honda. I too bleed Honda red. However these Forums can make you go crazy........Snorkel this...Lift that... 2 batterys... 3 batterys.... etc. etc!! There is tons of GREAT info and ideas on this forum. Thats why I am here. Surging in engine speed comes with practice! Foot control with high revs is a b#$tch. NOT like a set of handlebars and your thumb!! My 86 loves 1st gear!!View attachment 21748

Great looking Big Red, I only trail ride mine and keeping up with the RZR's is fun. But when the going gets slow and rocky, the ol' girl likes neither gear. Low is too low and second sometimes just won't pull enough to get you over that next hill.

I agree Honda built this to be a rec machine and it's something the normal Honda guy probably isn't use to. I wish I had time to get one out on the trail and spend a little time with it in some varying conditions. I've only ever ridden a 700 for any length of time.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My wife needs one. She kangaroo hops all over the back yard in ours and keeps asking me if there is something wrong with it. Glad I am not riding with her when she does it. I would have whiplash by now.

I just ordered one up, $65 direct from Throttlemaxx.com. I've noticed I have a heck of a time depending on which shoes I wear of all things! Especially when in rough terrain.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got my throttle max in the mail today already! Tried it out for a short run, much more comfortable position for your foot! I remember when I first got my rig my foot was very uncomfortable while trying to hold a steady speed...no more.