P1000 Shifting issue.

W

Wynkoop1

Sep 4, 2016
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time poster:
Buggy drives fine but will not shift from H to Low or any other selection without slamming it unless you shut they key off before shifting.
It wants to move unless you have your foot on brake.
Clutch not disengaging fully?
400 miles.
On FB several others have same issue but nobody claims to have fixed it.
Idoling at 1100.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The shifter needs to be adjusted . The idle rpm is fine.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you spoken to the dealer about it?

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

Reactions: CumminsPusher
W

Wynkoop1

Sep 4, 2016
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought new YXZ and P5 from same dealer. The oldest Honda dealer in the US.
Said 60 days before they could get in to address.
Needless to say, that conversation didn't go well after that.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From jpgoody98:

Shift Lever:

Very important, does your SxS lurch, pop out of gear, late clutch engage/disengage?
This adjusts under the hood, under the battery, very important.
1: Remove hood, battery, and the black access panel underneath battery.
2: You will then see the cable, sitting in its "stay", 19mm lock nuts holding its position.
3: Place SxS in Neutral & 2WD.
4: Loosen both holding nuts, got back to the SxS cab.**Do not shift from N**
5: With out leaving N, check the Shift Lever's "vertical free play" (wobble), it should be CENTERED.
-------------Not favoring the up(Park) direction, or down(High) direction.
-------------Mine was heavily favoring the up direction, toward park...
6: Adjust the lock nuts until the free-play is centered, I needed to tighten the top nut.
7: Once happy, tighten the lock nuts 20ft-lbs and re-check.

This solved all the little issues my SxS had developed at break in. It was lurching when taking off from a stop, very annoying when pulling onto trailer or into garage. And when braking to a stop the clutch wasdisengaging late.

H

HondaTech

If it's pulling in gear, it may have stuck clutch. We had one that would run over a 4x4 if put into gear. If adjusting the shifter doesn't fix the issue then it's most likely the clutch. As far as the dealer having you wait 60 days, B.S. Call Honda and see if their attitude doesn't change real fast.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

There's a section on here somewhere that will show you how to adjust it. It's in that flat box behind the driver side. There is pre marked indicators that you are supposed to line the nuts up with. I wish I knew who posted it, but if you find it they have pictures of how it's supposed to be, looks like a simple fix. Hope this helps.
This is where you adjust the 2-4wd, the drive select mode is adjusted under the hood.

Reactions: sharp

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's pulling in gear, it may have stuck clutch. We had one that would run over a 4x4 if put into gear. If adjusting the shifter doesn't fix the issue then it's most likely the clutch. As far as the dealer having you wait 60 days, B.S. Call Honda and see if their attitude doesn't change real fast.
What's the cause? EOP sensor failure? What made it stick?

H

HondaTech

What's the cause? EOP sensor failure? What made it stick?
We just finished one with this problem. We don't actually know what caused it to lock up. Honda had us clean the valve body and check for debris in the system. The oil pump did have a few small places in it, which got replaced. No real "silver bullet" on what caused it, but it was just as burnt if not more than the one we replaced that was slipping.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just finished one with this problem. We don't actually know what caused it to lock up. Honda had us clean the valve body and check for debris in the system. The oil pump did have a few small places in it, which got replaced. No real "silver bullet" on what caused it, but it was just as burnt if not more than the one we replaced that was slipping.
Any evidence it had ever ingested water/mud? I assume this is the cause for checking for debris...

advertisement
H

HondaTech

This was a 100 mile unit in for its 1st service, that the customer(a 60yo lady) complained about being hard to shift from high to reverse or park. After some investigation we noticed it pulled quite a bit from a stop. This led to the discovery of the clutch. We had another with similar marks on the oil pump (clutches as well). Both units had great oil pressure, but I didn't like the spots on the rotors that I saw.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was a 100 mile unit in for its 1st service, that the customer(a 60yo lady) complained about being hard to shift from high to reverse or park. After some investigation we noticed it pulled quite a bit from a stop. This led to the discovery of the clutch. We had another with similar marks on the oil pump (clutches as well). Both units had great oil pressure, but I didn't like the spots on the rotors that I saw.
Educate me, what are marks on an oil pump?

H

HondaTech

Visible marks where debris has been pressed between the inner and outer rotors of the pump. The first one had two clear spots all the way around the 9 lobe rotor in the pump. You could catch your finger nail on them. The last one had a similar pattern but only on two of the lobes in that part of the pump. The other two rotor groups in each pump had visible scuffing from debris. Most likely just left over machining material, but the patterned marks were my concern.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Visible marks where debris has been pressed between the inner and outer rotors of the pump. The first one had two clear spots all the way around the 9 lobe rotor in the pump. You could catch your finger nail on them. The last one had a similar pattern but only on two of the lobes in that part of the pump. The other two rotor groups in each pump had visible scuffing from debris. Most likely just left over machining material, but the patterned marks were my concern.
Got it. How would this cause the clutch to stick?

H

HondaTech

If any of that got into the valve body or other places and make one of the valves stick, it could apply pressure to the clutch at the wrong time or keep it engaged when it shouldn't be. It happens sometimes in older atvs as well, if the unit has been rally hot or had junk oil in it. That's what's strange about this one, being so new. Like I said even Honda doesn't really have an excuse for the clutch issues they are having. Imo, I think they need to gear the unit down or make the clutch larger. I've driven one of these in low gear to test some stuff out and it's Damm near impossible to be easy with it. They like to surge and hunt between 1st and 2nd. I can't see using low anywhere, it's not smooth enough to crawl. Even in M/T it surges up and down, the throttle won't stay steady cause of the high ass gearing they installed to get the top speed up.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If any of that got into the valve body or other places and make one of the valves stick, it could apply pressure to the clutch at the wrong time or keep it engaged when it shouldn't be. It happens sometimes in older atvs as well, if the unit has been rally hot or had junk oil in it. That's what's strange about this one, being so new. Like I said even Honda doesn't really have an excuse for the clutch issues they are having. Imo, I think they need to gear the unit down or make the clutch larger. I've driven one of these in low gear to test some stuff out and it's Damm near impossible to be easy with it. They like to surge and hunt between 1st and 2nd. I can't see using low anywhere, it's not smooth enough to crawl. Even in M/T it surges up and down, the throttle won't stay steady cause of the high ass gearing they installed to get the top speed up.
Getting some great info here.
Last question, so the trans has valves? I have no idea how these work besides the clutches and how they sync while shifting.

H

HondaTech

Other than the DCT versus Converter this and the P700 have a lot in common Trans whise. They both use automotive style valve bodies to apply pressure the the correct clutches to shift the unit it each gear. The P7 is in the front and the P1K is in the rear. Honda has a lot of awesome stuff they've brought over from the car side of things. That's what makes Honda the engineering company it is, if they can make an automotive idea work for the power sports world they will.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Other than the DCT versus Converter this and the P700 have a lot in common Trans whise. They both use automotive style valve bodies to apply pressure the the correct clutches to shift the unit it each gear. The P7 is in the front and the P1K is in the rear. Honda has a lot of awesome stuff they've brought over from the car side of things. That's what makes Honda the engineering company it is, if they can make an automotive idea work for the power sports world they will.
Off topic, but I've always wondered why not use the Civic tranny in the 1000? The older civics weren't much more $$$ new than the 1000's plus they had AC, glass, etc. etc. etc..... Those things are good for 200K miles plus.. not like the DCT in this thing is any less expensive.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My exact sense of low. Not useful for me.

Reactions: joeymt33
H

HondaTech

Most Atv's and Sxs's use a separate Trans and engine tied together by a belt. Honda engines are one piece units. All contained in a single case. The Yamaha YZX is the only unit out there that is cat like in how the trans and engine are put together. But Yamaha did that because the used there snowmobile engine to power that unit and didn't want to use a belt drive, which I applaud them for. Make everyone else take notice with some thing new. You see how fast they copied Hondas paddle shift. Their going the right direction they just need some time to find out what people are really using these for.

advertisement