P1000 Second Battery Winch Wiring

Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When wiring my winch to my second battery, can I just run the red lead to the second battery and leave the negatives the way they are? It looks like it runs to the factory ground. Also, is it important to make the wires as short as possible when doing it? Thx!

20210324 233959

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is your P1k? After 2018 (I think), they started putting a capped negative wire under the hood on the right side to tie a winch (or second battery) to. This ran directly to the engine block. Someone more adept in EE might be able to elaborate on if that's a better idea than tying both batterys' negatives together directly like that or not...
Regardless, for your winch, you'll want the positive and negative wires from your solenoid tied to the second battery as close as possible. The importance is just that the shorter the electrical path (and fewer the junctions and terminals) the less voltage loss to the winch.

Edit: So I missed that you already have the winch solenoid installed. Is that the factory winch wire you used? If so, it should work like that, just not how I did it.

Last edited:
Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is your P1k? After 2018 (I think), they started putting a capped negative wire under the hood on the right side to tie a winch (or second battery) to. This ran directly to the engine block. Someone more adept in EE might be able to elaborate on if that's a better idea than tying both batterys' negatives together directly like that or not...
Regardless, for your winch, you'll want the positive and negative wires from your solenoid tied to the second battery as close as possible. The importance is just that the shorter the electrical path (and fewer the junctions and terminals) the less voltage loss to the winch.

Edit: So I missed that you already have the winch solenoid installed. Is that the factory winch wire you used? If so, it should work like that, just not how I did it.
Yeah it's a 2020. Honda installed the winch and second battery, but they wired the winch to the main battery and after getting stuck in the mud and trying to winch out hard and drive it died for a second. I cant use the factory positive because it's too short, so I order 6g battery cable so it will reach the second battery. I just wanted to make sure it was as simple as moving the positive wire over to the second battery from the winch solenoid. It's gonna need about 12" of cable, so I was hoping that would be an issue with a loss of voltage.

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, then yeah, I'd say you're on the right track. Is that a battery isolator attached to the left side? If so, you'll be in good shape. The only suggestion I'd make is to get some sort of circuit breaker for safety - if there isn't one already.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took the factory wEnch ground and ran it to a buss bar that I attached to the cross bar right above the second battery location. Then grounded my second battery, fuse block, stinger and wEnch to that, so I don’t have any accessories grounded to the main battery

Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took the factory wEnch ground and ran it to a buss bar that I attached to the cross bar right above the second battery location. Then grounded my second battery, fuse block, stinger and wEnch to that, so I don’t have any accessories grounded to the main battery
Thanks everyone! Since its gonna be about a foot in length, would a 4g cable be better?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey,
Keeping the winch on the factory ground will work and be ok for the long haul... I would bet most people have it like this.

HOWEVER, I personally think it should be moved to the second battery to isolate the flow of energy by keeping it within the second battery loop.
When using the OEM ground point, power flows an unknown path most likely passing through the primary battery when the whole point is to protect the primary..
Ok. Just my 2 cents...
Thanks.

Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What’s the existing wire size? 6g ought to be fine, especially if that’s what you got now. I think mine is 6 and longer than yours.
Its 6g. I thought because its was gonna be a little longer it would help, but I'll just stick with what I got. Thx again.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone! Since its gonna be about a foot in length, would a 4g cable be better?

What’s the existing wire size? 6g ought to be fine, especially if that’s what you got now. I think mine is 6 and longer than yours.
You could use 4g but not necessary, a 6g will work fine. I just used some premaid battery cables fron an auto parts place, I think they where 6g with no issues.

advertisement
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,
Keeping the winch on the factory ground will work and be ok for the long haul... I would bet most people have it like this.

HOWEVER, I personally think it should be moved to the second battery to isolate the flow of energy by keeping it within the second battery loop.
When using the OEM ground point, power flows an unknown path most likely passing through the primary battery when the whole point is to protect the primary..
Ok. Just my 2 cents...
Thanks.
This is what I did and why I did it.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would it be dumb to just add a second ground cable to the second battery? Electrical is not my strong point. I would move the exciting ground right over if I could see where it went, it's way back in there.
You should have a factory ground over by the main battery that is taped up and pinned down, Honda put that there to ground your wEnch to, I unpinned it and routed it behind everything to a buss bar and used that buss bar to ground all of my accessories. So is short, you already have a ground to the frame with that, but you can run another one if you want. I’ll see if I have a pic of mine and post it for you.

advertisement