P1000 S&S Skid Plate Install

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I have been looking for a set of skid plates since I purchased the Pioneer 1000-5 but had a hard time swalling the price tag for the current offerings. At this time there are few choices; (1) you can get the honda skid plates (2) you can get the Trail Armor (3) you can now get the S&S fabrication

With option 1, the Honda accessories, they don't provide all that much protection as it is the exact same design as the stock ones (size, location) except they are made of aluminum.

With option 2, the cost is much higher than the Honda option and it has great coverage of the underside. However there are a few reasons I chose to not go this route. This system hangs out into the wheel well in the front and with larger tires, and stock a-arms, trimming is required. Also, This system is the most expensive and is made of plastic. Many people use this and it seems very durable but I am more a fan of metal.

Option 3 is what I purchased and I believe S&S is selling this exact setup for $750 including shipping and the a-arm Guards.

________________ Install Write-up ___________________

First off, this is some thick strong aluminum material, i am not sure on the thickness but believe it is somewhere around 1/4" or slightly thicker? They are manufactured in KY, and he doesn't seem to have a website, just a facebook page.

The first thing I did was lay everything out on the ground to make sure I understood how it all went together and check the installation hardware.

IMG 0680

The instructions tell you the order to install and also color code the holes with green and red to indicate which holes use the "stock" locations and which ones will require drilling and placement of a self tapping screw. The green is to indicate stock hole locations and red will require drilling.

IMG 0684

The skid system is made of 4 separate pieces and the order of installation is important. The first piece to install is the largest and is placed directly in the center of the unit (under the front bench area). The "lips" on this peace go toward the front of the unit and rise up into the wheel well very slightly.

IMG 0681

I will note that the instructions state to use the self tapping screws (1") for all holes but it would be my suggestion (and I called S&S to verify) to use the stock hardware at first, in the green locations, to get everything in place and lined up correctly. Also, I kept the stock hardware in those locations as it seems to hold it great and I could always go back to stock if that was ever desired (yeah right).

The second piece goes directly behind the first and uses the same process as the first one. The bends and whole locations were perfectly aligned and there was no issues

IMG 0682

The third piece goes behind the first two and goes back under the rear diff.

IMG 0683

The kit comes with all the hardware in individual bags clearly marked what to use. This system uses the same "kind" of hardware as stock with nice recessed area for the head of the bolt to sit and protect it some. It looks like these were punched out of metal at his shop and not purchased hardware. This isn't bad and in fact it seems to be very thick and durable.

IMG 0685

IMG 0686

To place the skids I did not have a lift (I know what my next purchase is going to be for the barn) so I resorted to a dolly to get the skid into position and then crawled under the unit and raised it into place while getting the fist bolt in place. This is another reason using the stock hardware where you can is nice as the threads are there and no drilling or alignment concerns arise.

IMG 0687

For the holes that are "new" and require the use of the new self tapping screws I pre-drilled the whole first and I will say the metal is either very hard on the frame or my drill bit and arm muscles are weak...

IMG 0688

When installing the front skid plate you use two large 1" bolts that go into existing threads and I noticed that the skid on the front didn't conform to the Pioneer as well in this location.

IMG 0689

All it required though was cranking down on those bolts and it sucked the skid right up against the Pioneer easy enough.

IMG 0691

_________________ A-Arm Skids Install ____________________

For the A-arm skids its very easy to install. I started with the front skids, and there is a bolt that threads in through an existing thread down near the wheel

IMG 0692

The upper two fasteners are classic u-bolts and are easy although getting hands in there can be challenging at times.

IMG 0693

Here are the front a-arms installed...I really like how high they go to protect the boots and they have "Honda" engraved into them. He can put whatever you want in them (your name if so desired)...

IMG 0694

For the rear a-arms two bolts are used and go around a center post and a steal bar acts like a clamp on a u-bolt.

IMG 0696

Again, everything on these a-arm guards fit great and hardware was very well laid out.

IMG 0696

Here is a shot of it in place

IMG 0697

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for this. Will be going over this thread again very soon lol

Reactions: Marine660
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, thank you very much Marine660. I like the different colors they offer for their skid plates. Good prices too.

Any idea what they weigh?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the same color skid but my guards are unfinished. Was gonna have mine and wife's names engraved on them but Honda just seemed right lol. Now all ya got left to do is rub some paint off that skid lol

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Yes, thank you very much Marine660. I like the different colors they offer for their skid plates. Good prices too.

Any idea what they weigh?

I am guessing around 60is lbs total

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I got the same color skid but my guards are unfinished. Was gonna have mine and wife's names engraved on them but Honda just seemed right lol. Now all ya got left to do is rub some paint off that skid lol

I worked on that yesterday. We went to Tate's cove out near walls of Jericho and found a fun trail on the way out and scraped several times and ran over a few saplings ;-)

Skids worked well!!!

Reactions: Stauvo and Delton
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the big rectangular opening in the front of the front skid for?

Thanks,

Waylan

advertisement
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
What is the big rectangular opening in the front of the front skid for?

Thanks,

Waylan

Not entirely sure although the stock metal in that area has a hump there. I am not really sure why that is there

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Please don't count out the "plastic". It's actually UHMW which is practically indestructible. When you go to places like Windrock you will see the difference the UHMW makes over the metal. The guys with metal are going to be hanging up all the time where as the UHMW slides across the rocks and won't even leave a scratch on it.

Great write up!

Reactions: Marine660
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please don't count out the "plastic". It's actually UHMW which is practically indestructible. When you go to places like Windrock you will see the difference the UHMW makes over the metal. The guys with metal are going to be hanging up all the time where as the UHMW slides across the rocks and won't even leave a scratch on it.

Great write up!
He and I are both familiar with the uhmw material. It's just easier to call it plastic lol. I prefer metal. Just a personal preference. One reason is I've seen a Rzr bust a differential because the uhmw flexed when it landed on a large rock. I think aluminum would've saved it. Not flaming the uhmw, just stating personal choice. People should go with what they believe best fits them.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Btw if I get hung up on a rock or anything else, I'll be the first to say so lol.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We use it here at work (merchant bar steel mill with a mega shredder). I have seen UHMW do amazing things.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We use it here at work (merchant bar steel mill with a mega shredder). I have seen UHMW do amazing things.
Got any videos of the shredder? Love watching those things on TV. The one eating up the school bus is my favorite

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No, you can't actually see the chewing going on in our shredder. Our shredder is a rotor hammer setup. It is powered by 8k hp AC motor. We have had it process on average of 240 tons per hour but it has ran up to 320 tons per hour.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, you can't actually see the chewing going on in our shredder. Our shredder is a rotor hammer setup. It is powered by 8k hp AC motor. We have had it process on average of 240 tons per hour but it has ran up to 320 tons per hour.
Dang that's impressive

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015

Great write up!

I never said that the plastic stuff was bad... it's just not for me. I prefer a more solid pieace of metal. I am sure it is very strong and good quality stuff. However for those folks like me or that just want something different this is a great product.

Reactions: dotman1 and Delton
Samiam1286

Samiam1286

Jul 24, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
looking for opinions as I can not find any photos, I have the P1K5D in white, was thinking about going with white skids and guards. thoughts? I know it will just be scratched off over time anyway.

advertisement