RRB to WINDROCK Overland Adventure 2017! - Public Thread.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It got a broken axle, they left it at camp, I went and picked up CP & wife today after dropping of @lee with the group at Eternal Flame which they didn't get to until 4:15 AM today.

I just got in after 127 miles today myself, 50 of which getting everybody situated before the group hit the trails.CP road all day with me, good times had by all.

Big thanks to @Windrock1000 and his logistical support. Had pizza waiting on us for supper.
I told Joey to tell him to yank it out and keep rolling.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hell if I flew across the country to ride I wouldn't be standing around taking many pictures either, especially with an opportunity to tear it up with Snuffs rig!;)

Reality check, for all you would be horsepower warriors. There is nothing you can do to the P1K engine / powertrain modification wise that will make one iota of difference in trails like this in a group ride.

1. If your motor won't run reliably and keep dying up the hill because the power commander wonks out, killing engine under high load. 1000 hp is useless in a dead engine.

2. Loud exhaust is just that despite the seat of the pants feeling you get, it's just more noise for everyone around you to listen to all day.

3. If your in line with the group, that power is useless as you sit waiting for the guys in front of you who may or may not know how to negotiate an obstacle. No time gained.

4. If your near the front of the line, you sit and wait for the guys behind you who may not know how to negotiate an obstacle. No time gained.

5. Your machine isn't 100% reliably everybody waits on you trying to help work out the issue.

This is simply an observation after several years of group rides, not just with Hondas. Just hoping some of this info can help prevent "fixing it until it breaks" seen this happen to many of otherwise reliable ATV & SXS.

If you run A-a rms high clearance, and or with lift, and no steering stops. The steering stop is in the drivers seat, not knowing the CV joint limits will garner you broken axle or CV joints, they flex only so far, exceed that in rough terrain you will be let down.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Reality check, for all you would be horsepower warriors. There is nothing you can do to the P1K engine / powertrain modification wise that will make one iota of difference in trails like this in a group ride.

1. If your motor won't run reliably and keep dying up Dragonsback because the power commander wonks out, 1000 hp is useless in a dead engine.

2. Loud exhaust is just that despite the seat of the pants feeling you get, it's just more noise for everyone around you to listen to all day.

3. If your in line with the group, that power is useless as you sit waiting for the guys in front of you who may or may not know how to negotiate an obstacle. No time gained.

4. If your near the front of the line, you sit and wait for the guys behind you who may not know how to negotiate an obstacle. No time gained.

5. Your machine isn't 100% reliably everybody waits on you trying to help work out the issue.

This is simply an observation after several years of group rides, not just with Hondas. Just hoping some of this info can help prevent "fixing it until it breaks" seen this happen to many of otherwise reliable ATV & SXS.

If you run A-a rms high clearance, and or with lift, and no steering stops. The steering stop is in the drivers seat, not knowing the CV joint limits will garner you broken axle or CV joints, they flex only so far, exceed that in rough terrain you will be let down.

All good points! But to each their own! The amplified sound and feel the engine through mods like exhaust and engine mods is exhilarating and gets the heart pumping! Small bursts of acceleration releasing that extra horsepower turns a slow trail ride into a worth while adventure! Although it's not for everyone, I can't get enough! As far as bulletproof rigs, there aren't many if any, and some of my fondest memories are enjoyable moments making repairs while laughing and joking about the incident! Memories!!!;)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
All good points! But to each their own! The amplified sound and feel the engine through mods like exhaust and engine mods is exhilarating and gets the heart pumping! Small bursts of acceleration releasing that extra horsepower turns a slow trail ride into a worth while adventure! Although it's not for everyone, I can't get enough! As far as bulletproof rigs, there aren't many if any, and some of my fondest memories are enjoyable moments making repairs while laughing and joking about the incident! Memories!!!;)
Exhilaration wanes after a 4 hour run turns into 13 waiting on a busted rig while bugs gorge on your blood.
Still, I am a firm believer in buying all the confidence you can afford. Keeps the industry going. :D

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Exhilaration wanes after a 4 hour run turns into 13 waiting on a busted rig while bugs gorge on your blood.
:):):)
With the exception of the damn bugs :eek: Still envious of you all!!!! Wish I was there!!;)

It was a good day today, lots of great trails covered.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Glad everybody is back together. I'd be interested in seeing the vehicle requirement list for this ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you really need is a winch and good full coverage skid plates, preferably UHMW. Recommend tough 8 ply tires, but several OEM sets have made the trip, some with casualties though.

The winch is more of just in case insurance, not seen anyone yet strong enough to get one out of a pickle they got themselves into by hand.

urbancoyboyja

urbancoyboyja

Buckle Up, I Want To Try Something...
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2017
WV, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All you really need is a winch and good full coverage skid plates, preferably UHMW. Recommend tough 8 ply tires, but several OEM sets have made the trip, some with casualties though.

The winch is more of just in case insurance, not seen anyone yet strong enough to get one out of a pickle they got themselves into by hand.

I can't tell from the pics and the vids I've found on you tube, is dragons back steep? How steep is devil's elbow.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Just an FYI for you my forum family,

Try and avoid doing Dragonsback and Widowmaker at night:eek: , it takes a very challenging section of trail to the extreme level.
Also, shout out to @Koda and his riding partner for jumping in and helping change 2 tierods last nite on the trail! One that we changed was halfway down Widowmaker :eek: around 1am Friday night! We had to attach a winch line to the rig from the rear to pull the damaged machine straight and to keep it from going on its side! I told you extremeo_O

Also want to thank @Windrock1000 for all his help with this event this weekend. Thanks to all the folks who jumped in and helped with repairs and getting folks back on the trail! The teamwork throughout the forum is awesome to see!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I can't tell from the pics and the vids I've found on you tube, is dragons back steep? How steep is devil's elbow.

Widowmaker - my harnesses kept me from falling out the half windshield... Think I saw around 50 degs down with 25 degs rotated at one spot during takeover.

advertisement
J

JTW

I know JTW broke a tie rod and 2 axles. That stopped the forward progress from the group from what I heard. Not sure on any other details.

Ha... I broke 2 axles and a tie rod and still made it down before the booze cruise. I may have haulted our group a time or two but we made it! And thank you to all the guys that helped to get me back up and running. Or just back up!!
@Windrock1000 @Tramguage1 @Kilo427 @knuckledeep @Tigermark @Koda @Raghead... Tiger, sorry about the eye!

Honestly, this is EXACTLY what I was afraid of running it loaded to the hilt with several untested the initial axle break set the stage for the front break.. but that one was all on me. There were just too many to stay together.. especially when half the group wants to play and the other half cover ground. I like both,' but it makes for a tough group ride... especially when you throw in per determined camp sites and vehicle and machine malfunctions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few pics from Sat
IMG 1554
IMG 1555
IMG 1556

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha... I broke 2 axles and a tie rod and still made it down before the booze cruise. I may have haulted our group a time or two but we made it! And thank you to all the guys that helped to get me back up and running. Or just back up!!
@Windrock1000 @Tramguage1 @Kilo427 @knuckledeep @Tigermark @Koda @Raghead... Tiger, sorry about the eye!

Honestly, this is EXACTLY what I was afraid of running it loaded to the hilt with several untested the initial axle break set the stage for the front break.. but that one was all on me. There were just too many to stay together.. especially when half the group wants to play and the other half cover ground. I like both,' but it makes for a tough group ride... especially when you throw in per determined camp sites and vehicle and machine malfunctions.

I am changing my name :D
@Tramguage1 and @knuckledeep is changing your axle :mad:
IMG 1559

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That's 2 good dudes right there!!
Couldn't agree more!!!! I consider myself very capable and am usually the guy with the wrench in my hand but these guys are threatening and intimidating if you don't let them wrench on your machine! Jklol. Guys like them make this Club what it is!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
@JACKAL , Big thanks for leading us back to our trucks last night!
You guys are welcome. I had a good time overall, Saturday we had a nice mix of trails. Glad everyone could make it that did, it's a different experience. However after any long day of riding a hot shower, meal, and soft bed is hard to beat.

Being rested makes it much more enjoyable for the next day. Still those that really like to camp out, it can be fun.

advertisement