Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you are referring to the 146.52 - no it is simplex only but all the Hams I know have that freq preprogrammed in their list of channels they scan.

Gotcha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did find this radio which is 95 compliant 678c4f62e1ab15223055d49b462a977e

Reactions: Dp5hunter
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so... moving on a bit... I have programmed in all of the FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies into my Baofung. I used the Motorola channel numbering for FRS (1-14) and GMRS (15-22). These are the channel numbers that the type-accepted walkie talkies use (the ones you buy at Walmart). I then programmed in the MURS frequencies starting at channel 31... so now I just set the radio to channel mode and set it to scan, then sit here and listen to whatever traffic is in my area... am I the only one doing this??? please tell me my wife isn't correct... she says I've lost it... sitting here listening to the scanner like her crazy old uncle...lol

I haven't figured out how to work this thing at all. Messed with it for about 10 minutes today waiting on some work documents to download. Then lost focus.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so... moving on a bit... I have programmed in all of the FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies into my Baofung. I used the Motorola channel numbering for FRS (1-14) and GMRS (15-22). These are the channel numbers that the type-accepted walkie talkies use (the ones you buy at Walmart). I then programmed in the MURS frequencies starting at channel 31... so now I just set the radio to channel mode and set it to scan, then sit here and listen to whatever traffic is in my area... am I the only one doing this??? please tell me my wife isn't correct... she says I've lost it... sitting here listening to the scanner like her crazy old uncle...lol

I have done that as well, funny when you get some kids playing around on the FRS frequencys sometimes. Depending on your area you can sometimes still get police and fire. You can go to radioreference.com and search your area to see what is there note a lot of police and fire have gone to trunked systems or digitial.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
The Tech test is not that hard with a little study.There is free practice tests online at eham and qrz.
You can find testing sites and alot of other information at the arrl.org site.

Steve
AB3YT
Thanks buddy, I will jump on those practice test!

advertisement
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
I have done that as well, funny when you get some kids playing around on the FRS frequencys sometimes. Depending on your area you can sometimes still get police and fire. You can go to radioreference.com and search your area to see what is there note a lot of police and fire have gone to trunked systems or digitial.

I'm an excop and your not crazy or dumb!

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really encourage you guys to get your ham license. It will open a whole new world of communications for you. The Baofengs will get the job done but you get what you pay for, there is all kinds of quality gear for a little more money, there are digital mode handheld radios that can let you talk around the world through the right repeater, and there are many. I have made a lot of great friends since joining the ham hobby, and I suspect that anyone who is capable enough to use the computer and participate on this forum is smart enough to pass the test. Like others have said start with online practice test, just google it, there are even smartphone test apps, and there are apps that show all the repeaters near you once you get licensed. I would be more than happy to help anyone who wants to get their license, just shoot me a message with any questions you have.

Bart
N1UB

J

JTW

FU2MF... lol
That's my new h
I really encourage you guys to get your ham license. It will open a whole new world of communications for you. The Baofengs will get the job done but you get what you pay for, there is all kinds of quality gear for a little more money, there are digital mode handheld radios that can let you talk around the world through the right repeater, and there are many. I have made a lot of great friends since joining the ham hobby, and I suspect that anyone who is capable enough to use the computer and participate on this forum is smart enough to pass the test. Like others have said start with online practice test, just google it, there are even smartphone test apps, and there are apps that show all the repeaters near you once you get licensed. I would be more than happy to help anyone who wants to get their license, just shoot me a message with any questions you have.

Bart
N1UB
suggestions on radios then??

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's my new h

suggestions on radios then??
A lot would depend on what's in your area, VHF, UHF or both, is there digital mode repeaters like DMR, D-Star ect. in the area you could take advantage of ? Handheld or fixed radio. AS far as brands go, kind of like a Ford Chevy thing, the 3 popular ones are Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. If you want to tell me where you live I can look up and see what kind of repeaters are in your area and narrow down some radios that would be good.

You can go to www.repeaterbook.com and search for your local repeaters too.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Manwell
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lot would depend on what's in your area, VHF, UHF or both, is there digital mode repeaters like DMR, D-Star ect. in the area you could take advantage of ? Handheld or fixed radio. AS far as brands go, kind of like a Ford Chevy thing, the 3 popular ones are Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. If you want to tell me where you live I can look up and see what kind of repeaters are in your area and narrow down some radios that would be good.
I'm amazed at how people are so willing to help - what a great group this is! Thank you @Bartman for being part of it!

J

JTW

You can go to www.repeaterbook.com and search for your local repeaters too.
Breckinridge County Ky..

Reactions: cschomber63
J

Jshell3

What about regular CB radios? I read @AKRider 's post about HAM (Thank you so much for that, btw. That was a lot to read and I read it all. I KNOW that took a while to write up!)
AKRider covers all the basics, but when he gets to the CB, there's not much comment (leaves it open)...

The type of riding we do, reminds me of rabbit hunting/deer hunting w dogs. CB radios are all we ever used. They talk a LONG ways. And they make hand helds for CB, too. We could all just use our Club name as handles.

The other radios were 5 watt, but needed a license. CB's are 4 watt, and do not require license.

What am I missing?
What's the advantage using the other frequencies?... (I mean besides repeaters and talking all over the world.).

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
From what I've read even MURS reaches better on uneven ground even at 2watts compared to 5watts on cb. Much clearer as well. MURS is fine to run on it's not a problem. We've had very good luck with radios now super clear and these radios are cheap, much smaller and reach further. Once someone gets licensed it'll open it up even more for distance.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Breckinridge County Ky..
there is a 2 meter repeater in Westview that covers the Rough River Lake area and 440 (23cm) in Hardinsburg that is part of linked system that looks like it covers a wide area. The Baofeng or a Yaesu FT60R for $140 would cover both bands if you want a handheld radio. A mobile rig with 50 to 70 watts of power is pretty common and will obviously reach out much better.
RepeaterBook.com: Quick Search

Last edited:
advertisement