Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Just a bit of advice on this.....

Nothing screams cheaply made and poor performing like dryer hose intake piping. I don't care who uses it on what, it's garbage. Using that stuff is going to turn some people away from buying your product and probably a bunch more people than trimming a half moon in the rear quarter and bed to make the single aluminum pipe fit.

Think about it.......

3d printed parts, dryer hose, adapters, mounting hardware, filter, ect

VS

Single aluminum pipe, templet for hole in body and 1 filter.

Which one do you think would be easier and more profitable for a guy doing this as a hobby to manufacture?

KISS
I appreciate the input and do not ever intend to use cheap parts for my designs.

That’s one reason my talon cargo boxes are so expensive. I like the aluminum and sealed hatch design because I don’t want to wash a bag after every ride. I’ve had shoulder bags and didn’t like them mainly when it came washing and having to remove everything out of the bags. Nothing could stay stored.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Early morning brainstorming with my coworker has revealed a few ideas.
  1. The outer riser tube may require 2 length options; a shorty for racing (like Slowpoke) and a longer one for recreational riding where rain and mud are guaranteed at times. The longer riser would locate the pre filter up high and under the roof to keep it cleaner and out of direct rain. My fenders get filthy even with Mudbusters and I wouldn't want a pre-filter located where it would get coated with mud.
  2. We do want to design a replacement grate part to pass tubing through fender. This mainly looks better than cutting fender plastic but also eliminates the need for customers to have the tools to cut holes. It's simple to install also. We will see what we can come up with since the shape is slightly complex. The superATV part is similar to want we want.
  3. Coupled joints will be minimized if not eliminated. Once we have a system mock-up that we like then we will have to break it down into installation and shipping shape sizes.
Next week I'll have some fitting delivered to begin fitting up a tubing solution. My coworker will be working on a grate design for this project. Everything is subject to change till the bitter end of design! Just like my day job!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
20210707 210412
20210707 210340

Fits well

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pulled the stock air filter and gasket out of the air box last night. I'm going to run the next race with just the RC2 filter and see if that nets me any gains in performance. I've had the K&N and intake tube on there since I bought the machine and the inside of my airbox before the main filter is spotless, so I'm going to say my intake pre-filter was a success.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Got a box of R&D Lego parts in yesterday to start stove piping a snorkel design prototype for the masses. Let the fun begin!!! Sure hope we can develop a viable solution to cleaner intake air with a complete package of parts and pre filter. May have enough parts to develop 3 versions from which to choose one winner.

And I get TIG lessons this weekend from a very experienced welder! Yay!

5CFCC196 D9AD 47D2 AB5C 05B6343062E6

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Why does this look physically different? Is that one for the Pioneer?

View attachment 283457
The Talon and Pioneer 1000 use 2 totally different filters. The attached picture here a comparison of the R2C and OEM filters for the Talon.
The pic that Smitty posted is the brand new Pionner 1000 filter.

advertisement
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
The Talon and Pioneer 1000 use 2 totally different filters. The attached picture here a comparison of the R2C and OEM filters for the Talon.
The pic that Smitty posted is the brand new Pioneer 1000 filter.
HA! Classic Smitty. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I just ordered one as well. Do you have the rest of the parts sourced yet?
I have an aluminum snorkel pipe prototype nearly complete on my talon. Waiting on the air filter to finalize the height and trim pipe and also to set a bracing bracket location. The good news is I've been able to successfully make the entire snorkel a one piece welded pipe. And it can be easily installed through the grate opening with the OEM grate removed. A coworker and I are working on a replacement grate also. We are trying to make a 2 piece grate that will wrap around the pipe penetration after the pipe is in place.

The prototype pipe has 6 welds! Now that I have the routing figured out, I may be able to reduce that to 4 welds, maybe 3 if I'm very creative on fitting use.

Once I get the filter and brace in place I'll post some pics. I think it looks great because it closely follows the lines of the roll cage. Once painted black the pipe will almost disappear. I'll attach one sneak peak pic for now.

Edit:
The inner fender will also still fit in place with this snorkel.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It may work with the windshield. It will be close though! I'll send more photos once I have the filter mounted.
This would be a good time to make adjustments, I'd bet 1/3 of us have a rear window. Otherwise you'll need two models.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The good thing is that since I didn't have the filter yet, the top part of the intake is only tacked up right now. Does the rear window fit flush wit the back of the roll cage like SuperATV pics show? If so then that's not bad. If it sticks out any they I'll need some pics and measurements from someone.

advertisement