P1000 Quick encounter with water

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
My Wife and I went riding on the Kalkaska ORV route in northern Michigan on Thursday. We were riding at a comfortable pace of about 20 to 25 mph. Then I saw a somewhat whooped out two track running parallel to the route and could not resist hitting it with a little speed. The 1000 handles whoops very well by the way. Anyway, the bottoms of the whoops were filled with water from a recent rain. I had gone through about 10 of them with out hardly splashing, but then suddenly hit one that slashed water up over the half windsheild and got both of us a little wet. As I was sitting there laughing, and my wife glaring at me, I noticed that the 1000 had gone into limp mode. Gear position showed 1, and idled a little funny. Started to drive and it would not up shift. Looking back at the gear position the 1 was flashing but I did not think to see what code it was flashing. I shut the engine off and restarted it and all was back to normal.
With the issue that others have had recently with sucking water we decided to check the air intake and found it to be clean and dry.
this may sound crazy, but I was wondering if the plumbing for the intake has a joint that when suddenly cooled by immersion in water will shrink and open up a bit to let water into the system. Sort of like how the gas tank contracts and sucks water into the breather hose.
I will take a good look at the plumbing today to see if that is even possible.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Interesting thought. It may be true for some vehicles.

I haven't experienced this problem yet though. I ride in AL and TN and our vehicles get real hot and then we ride in the creek or park in the creek with water over the floor to cool down.

One thing I did that you might want to check, is I tightened all the hose clamps on the intake. There's a couple at the bottom of the intake next to the gas tank.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dasmoeturhead

This is why I did this
20160617 161148
20160617 161148
and I don't even go through water. Just in case though.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I opened up the air box and took out the filter, clean as a whistle. Must have been a coincidence that it went into limp after hitting the water. I checked a few connectors under the seat and the throttle position sensor. All seemed good. I will let it go for now and keep my fingers crossed it does not happen again. Oil is clean as well.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
My Wife and I went riding on the Kalkaska ORV route in northern Michigan on Thursday. We were riding at a comfortable pace of about 20 to 25 mph. Then I saw a somewhat whooped out two track running parallel to the route and could not resist hitting it with a little speed. The 1000 handles whoops very well by the way. Anyway, the bottoms of the whoops were filled with water from a recent rain. I had gone through about 10 of them with out hardly splashing, but then suddenly hit one that slashed water up over the half windsheild and got both of us a little wet. As I was sitting there laughing, and my wife glaring at me, I noticed that the 1000 had gone into limp mode. Gear position showed 1, and idled a little funny. Started to drive and it would not up shift. Looking back at the gear position the 1 was flashing but I did not think to see what code it was flashing. I shut the engine off and restarted it and all was back to normal.
With the issue that others have had recently with sucking water we decided to check the air intake and found it to be clean and dry.
this may sound crazy, but I was wondering if the plumbing for the intake has a joint that when suddenly cooled by immersion in water will shrink and open up a bit to let water into the system. Sort of like how the gas tank contracts and sucks water into the breather hose.
I will take a good look at the plumbing today to see if that is even possible.

This just happened to me yesterday . Exact same scenario, riding some small whoops filled with water but nothing deep. I was riding in manual ,came to a stop to back up and when I put it back in forward Gear the dash was flashing 1 and it wouldn't upshift or switch to automatic. I shut it off , restarted and everything was fine. No idea what happened, I ride that same trail a few times a month and never had any problems.

advertisement
V

vitulla

Aug 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Had the same happen to me 2 rides ago, but no water, steep grade. Once at the bottom it flashed 1 till I turned it off. During my first service the dealer looked into it and said it was nothing, most probably a safe mode for the tranny. Hasn't done it again

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sounds like it was coincidence with the water since everything was dry. I have had the same thing happen after a long stretch of heavy engine braking, same as @vitulla . it also happened to me once when I started it in gear. each time, it went back to normal after I cut it off and back on.

Reactions: vitulla