P500 Question, please

E

Edie

Nov 28, 2015
My husband and I just bought a P5. We've only got about 10 hours on it, and this last trip out (Royal Blue, east Tennessee) was fun, but I have gotten blisters on my hips from the hot hot hot seatbelt! Worse on my right side, as this trip was my training day and I did most of the driving (Still unsure about deep mud, & really NOT crazy about climbing steep rocky terrain. I am reeeeeeeeeeealy new at this. Like 10 hours new)

Is this a common problem or just me? I'd really like to love this sport, but I probably won't if I'm going to be roasted like a Thanksgiving ham. BTW, hubby did not have that problem, as he has not yet used the seat belts. I know, I know.
Any ideas, or am I sort of alone in this?

Thanks guys.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
My husband and I just bought a P5. We've only got about 10 hours on it, and this last trip out (Royal Blue, east Tennessee) was fun, but I have gotten blisters on my hips from the hot hot hot seatbelt! Worse on my right side, as this trip was my training day and I did most of the driving (Still unsure about deep mud, & really NOT crazy about climbing steep rocky terrain. I am reeeeeeeeeeealy new at this. Like 10 hours new)

Is this a common problem or just me? I'd really like to love this sport, but I probably won't if I'm going to be roasted like a Thanksgiving ham. BTW, hubby did not have that problem, as he has not yet used the seat belts. I know, I know.

Thanks guys.

@Edie Welcome to the club! I swapped out with 4 point restraints before I even had 7 miles on my P500 so I never used the OEM seatbelts, but I can assure you this where they are mounted they can generate a lot of heat as they are bolted right off the head of the engine. I have not heard of anyone complaining about the seat belts in particular but all of us that own a P500 are aware of the heat that comes off under the seat.

If your are getting burned from the cable and not the actual plastic latch head I think I can offer you a simple solution to noticeably reduce the heat. It sounds you may just be feeling a lot of heat from the engine coming through between the seat base and seat back, where the seat belts mount is, that area you can pop off the seat back and cut out a piece of 1/2" exercise mats the dark gray foam kind, it is usually in 2' x2' interlocking squares sold at Walmart. I would cut it where is pushes down under the seat base a few inches of overlap and cut 2 slots in it for the center seat belt latches to pop through and cut it high enough where the seat back will overlap a few inches. This would insulate you from some of the heat. The type of clothing you wear will make a difference too if you are driving in only a t-shirt and thin material like in shorts or jogging pants you will definately feel the heat more than a longer shirt and heavier jeans, etc.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
The seatbelts in my car cut in to me, they are just at a bad angle. I bought a seat belt pad that wraps around the belt. this pad is only 8" long so it would not cover the whole belt, but you could probably make something for the belt that would dissipate the heat. They also make clothing for high heat, golf shirts are made for this and columbia omni tech pants is a good example, I have used these and they are great for hot weather. Hope this helps, comfort is the first step to having a good time.

Reactions: bobbyhill
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015

Thanks guys.
Had the same problem.Went on amazon and bought header wrap Dei010131 and Csi heat shield insulation mat for under the seat.Be sure to get stainless steel ties for exhaust wrap.Total cost around 60.00.Worked fantastic.P500 was too hot to drive .

E

Edie

Nov 28, 2015
Had the same problem.Went on amazon and bought header wrap Dei010131 and Csi heat shield insulation mat for under the seat.Be sure to get stainless steel ties for exhaust wrap.Total cost around 60.00.Worked fantastic.P500 was too hot to drive .

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Have read them to DH and now we have a plan.

Now, one more dumb question from a newbie: Is this little P5 safe? It was pretty scary up and down those sloppy wet, steep trails...is that the point or are we gonna get dumped off the side of the mountain? LOL We live here on Norris Lake and have always fished and boated for fun. I'll drop a line in a heartbeat, and stay up all night long with a pack of crackers and a Coleman lantern to fish, but this is new stuff for us. I see them tip in videos, and it doesnt look like you'd have far to fall 'cause it's so tiny, but how many of them tumble backwards?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
e
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Have read them to DH and now we have a plan.

Now, one more dumb question from a newbie: Is this little P5 safe? It was pretty scary up and down those sloppy wet, steep trails...is that the point or are we gonna get dumped off the side of the mountain? LOL We live here on Norris Lake and have always fished and boated for fun. I'll drop a line in a heartbeat, and stay up all night long with a pack of crackers and a Coleman lantern to fish, but this is new stuff for us. I see them tip in videos, and it doesnt look like you'd have far to fall 'cause it's so tiny, but how many of them tumble backwards?
I have never had one tumble backwards, just have to stick to 1st & 2nd gear on the steepest hills, @ Royal Blue on Trail 26 is a particularly long 40% climb in 2 sections and my P500 went up just fine didn't get in a big hurry just try to keep it around 7-12 mph up the bigger hills and the momentum helps, with the rough rocks you have to nearly come to a stop rolling over them at only 3-4 mph uphill but it will climb right over them just stay committed. I have had my P500 on it's side quite a bit going down badly rutted trails, with the narrow 50 width it is nearly impossible to straddle those ruts without a chance of slipping off into them at an in opportune moment so I intentionally and slowly drive down into them let the SXS tip over on my driver side and work my way down carefully. The same works for going up I have put it on its door in 4WD and slightly turn the front tire in the rut where it "bites" the side of the rut for additional traction and have always made it up. The P500 is a little billy goat and with a little finesse and technique can go just about anywhere. I have been riding off road for 40 years so I am used to tackling some pretty nasty stuff that most 50" SXS will shy away from but have always made it up and down. Best advice on steep uphills never ever stop unless you get stuck due to a rock ledge or lack of traction, and then winch your way over the situation. On downhills if you have a step drop off just put theP500 in 1st gear stay off the brake no matter how bad the hill it will not roll faster than 4 mph it you get a vertical drop off in 4WD give it a little gas as the front wheels touch bottom to pull it out away from the ledge, this will keep your rear end from wanting the slide around or tip over. The engine braking on the P500 is outstanding and use it in 1st or 2nd gear without ever touching my brakes.

PS if you don't have a winch, highly recommended insurance. Especially if you are going to ride in mountainous terrain.

E

Edie

Nov 28, 2015
e
I have never had one tumble backwards, just have to stick to 1st & 2nd gear on the steepest hills, @ Royal Blue on Trail 26 is a particularly long 40% climb in 2 sections and my P500 went up just fine didn't get in a big hurry just try to keep it around 7-12 mph up the bigger hills and the momentum helps, with the rough rocks you have to nearly come to a stop rolling over them at only 3-4 mph uphill but it will climb right over them just stay committed. I have had my P500 on it's side quite a bit going down badly rutted trails, with the narrow 50 width it is nearly impossible to straddle those ruts without a chance of slipping off into them at an in opportune moment so I intentionally and slowly drive down into them let the SXS tip over on my driver side and work my way down carefully. The same works for going up I have put it on its door in 4WD and slightly turn the front tire in the rut where it "bites" the side of the rut for additional traction and have always made it up. The P500 is a little billy goat and with a little finesse and technique can go just about anywhere. I have been riding off road for 40 years so I am used to tackling some pretty nasty stuff that most 50" SXS will shy away from but have always made it up and down. Best advice on steep uphills never ever stop unless you get stuck due to a rock ledge or lack of traction, and then winch your way over the situation. On downhills if you have a step drop off just put theP500 in 1st gear stay off the brake no matter how bad the hill it will not roll faster than 4 mph it you get a vertical drop off in 4WD give it a little gas as the front wheels touch bottom to pull it out away from the ledge, this will keep your rear end from wanting the slide around or tip over. The engine braking on the P500 is outstanding and use it in 1st or 2nd gear without ever touching my brakes.

PS if you don't have a winch, highly recommended insurance. Especially if you are going to ride in mountainous terrain.

Thanks for the advice, it is well taken! Yep, we installed a winch, and good thing too, as I got us stuck in the mud on Trail 2. Trail 26 was our first experience....down it the first time, up it the next time.

Thanks to all!

Reactions: Moose308
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
It's good that you are concerned with safety. The max speed of the P5 is 37-42 somewhere in that range, so the p5 is a great starter for a novice. always keep your nets on when you are riding, watch safety videos on youtube, there are probably a few books availble on atv/sxs safety and riding clubs often put together a safety training course. With all these tools available they should be plenty to get you started, but experience goes a long way. I have known many people that learned the old fashioned way, riding a lot. Good luck and happy trails. If you are up against an obstacle that worries you, and you are still a novice, you may want to try that at a later date in a more controlled environment. you can set up a course w/ logs and rocks in you back yard (well maybe not) my last back yard was 30 acres and I forget some folks don't have that. Well enough rambling get out and enjoy the trails and play it safe. Thank you for joining the forum.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Only time I felt heat was this past summer. We had just installed the windshield and the crack between the seats was letting the engine heat come right in. I removed the windshield and it was fine.
As for tipping it?I did tip mine over last month. We rode up the side of a valley with the passengers side and it landed on the drivers side. Seat belts worked as they should and no damage to us of the machine.
Tumbling? I watch the videos all the time of guys trying to get up a steep hill and over they go. Looks like two things 1, To much acceleration. I swear I see them starting to go over and they just keep on the gas pedal. 2, Budlight. To each his (or her) own, but when I'm boating, driving or wheelin, I keep the beer for dinner time. Just me though

I wouldn't worry about rolling it.
So will we see you in April? Seems you are close by RRB

E

Edie

Nov 28, 2015
Only time I felt heat was this past summer. We had just installed the windshield and the crack between the seats was letting the engine heat come right in. I removed the windshield and it was fine.
As for tipping it?I did tip mine over last month. We rode up the side of a valley with the passengers side and it landed on the drivers side. Seat belts worked as they should and no damage to us of the machine.
Tumbling? I watch the videos all the time of guys trying to get up a steep hill and over they go. Looks like two things 1, To much acceleration. I swear I see them starting to go over and they just keep on the gas pedal. 2, Budlight. To each his (or her) own, but when I'm boating, driving or wheelin, I keep the beer for dinner time. Just me though

ncred02: Oh we'll probably pop in this spring. We live right next to Royal

Yep, we live right here close to Royal Blue, so we'll probably pop in that weekend and say hello. Just look for the pudgy old lady with a death-grip on the steering wheel LOL!!

advertisement
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
ncred02: Oh we'll probably pop in this spring. We live right next to Royal

Yep, we live right here close to Royal Blue, so we'll probably pop in that weekend and say hello. Just look for the pudgy old lady with a death-grip on the steering wheel LOL!!

Hows the cell service there?