P500 Question about p500 digital dash

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I was hoping maybe someone could offer some advice. My p5 digital dash has had moisture in it for probably over a month. Every weekend when i get a chance to get it out of the shed and continue building my bed or to ride it i keep hoping that is the day that my digital dash has finally aired out and works like new again. Well, that day never came so i pulled the digital dash out this morning, pulled it all apart and there was honestly about a shot glass worth of muddy water in there! I guess thats what i get for riding in the deep water and having water pour over my dash. Lol. Anyway, i got it all the way down to the circuit board and was cleaning it and flipped it over and i heard, 'tink, tink,...' something fell out of it and bounced away never to be seen again. Upon further investigation i think it was something having to do with the button on the circuit board that changes the screen mode from fuel level, to hours, to temp, and so on.. the black rubber button on the front clear faceplate is suppossed to depress something that goes down and presses the little button on the green circuit board. Does anybody know what that 'something' is? Im guessing its what made the 'tink, tink' noise as it ran for freedom. Is it a spring, or a plastic round dowl type thing that goes from the rubber button through the cavity in the digital dash, down to the circuit board button? Ive tried to find exploded views of the digital dash, but all i can find is exploded views of the whole pioneer dash. Surely im not the only one who has had to take a pioneer 500 dash apart to get water out lol. Im guessing i could take careful measurements and find something or make something that would do the same job, but i was just wanting some input from yall. Anybody got any thoughts?

Reactions: Jshell3
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It goes in this hole here..

20170103 145753

Reactions: Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The thing that went 'tink, tink' and was lost forever from the paragraph in the post before the pic lol
Oh gotcha, my bad. I hope somebody comes along that can help you with this!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah me too monte lol. Otherwise i'll have to wing it and come up with something lol
Right! I wonder if the service shop at your local dealer might have that part kicking around?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I was hoping maybe someone could offer some advice. My p5 digital dash has had moisture in it for probably over a month. Every weekend when i get a chance to get it out of the shed and continue building my bed or to ride it i keep hoping that is the day that my digital dash has finally aired out and works like new again. Well, that day never came so i pulled the digital dash out this morning, pulled it all apart and there was honestly about a shot glass worth of muddy water in there! I guess thats what i get for riding in the deep water and having water pour over my dash. Lol. Anyway, i got it all the way down to the circuit board and was cleaning it and flipped it over and i heard, 'tink, tink,...' something fell out of it and bounced away never to be seen again. Upon further investigation i think it was something having to do with the button on the circuit board that changes the screen mode from fuel level, to hours, to temp, and so on.. the black rubber button on the front clear faceplate is suppossed to depress something that goes down and presses the little button on the green circuit board. Does anybody know what that 'something' is? Im guessing its what made the 'tink, tink' noise as it ran for freedom. Is it a spring, or a plastic round dowl type thing that goes from the rubber button through the cavity in the digital dash, down to the circuit board button? Ive tried to find exploded views of the digital dash, but all i can find is exploded views of the whole pioneer dash. Surely im not the only one who has had to take a pioneer 500 dash apart to get water out lol. Im guessing i could take careful measurements and find something or make something that would do the same job, but i was just wanting some input from yall. Anybody got any thoughts?

I'm betting it was a spring
....of some kind.
bummer dude
haven't seen a thread on this
you may be the 1st
good luck. ..
Post if you Finger it out

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Monte, yeah ill have to check the dealer. Ive looked on the microfiche websites and ebay and amazon. I can buy the whole digital dash for $150ish, but no internals of the digital dash. Rocmar, o got the circuit board and screen in a bag of rice right now letting it wick away any moisture that may be left inside it after i let it air out all day. I will leave it in there the rest of the week and plug it up this weekend. If i can push the little button on the board and it changes screens like its suppossed to i will have to make something for it i guess to go from the rubber button on the clear faceplate down to the button on the circuit board. It onlybhas to be about 1/2" long just guessing, and fit in the hole im pointing at above. Ill post what i figure out.

20170103 182441

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Monte, yeah ill have to check the dealer. Ive looked on the microfiche websites and ebay and amazon. I can buy the whole digital dash for $150ish, but no internals of the digital dash. Rocmar, o got the circuit board and screen in a bag of rice right now letting it wick away any moisture that may be left inside it after i let it air out all day. I will leave it in there the rest of the week and plug it up this weekend. If i can push the little button on the board and it changes screens like its suppossed to i will have to make something for it i guess to go from the rubber button on the clear faceplate down to the button on the circuit board. It onlybhas to be about 1/2" long just guessing, and fit in the hole im pointing at above. Ill post what i figure out.

View attachment 30199

I would just try to make something fit. Like a BB or something.
Btw, I hate when I hear that 'tink tink' sound. It's usually followed by an expletive.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 30199

So no spring...
try a spring from
ink pen...or smaller
cut to length.
Put .77cal pellets on
each end
...did it to my canam
cause it guit workin

J

Jshell3

If i can push the little button on the board and it changes screens like its suppossed to i will have to make something for it i guess to go from the rubber button on the clear faceplate down to the button on the circuit board...

Maybe you could tear apart a cheap calculator...? Lots of little buttons under the keys that contact the electrical circuit board.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Go to the site of the tink tink with 2 little kids , offer a large ice cream reward . 4 young eyes with ice cream in there future .... Bet you find what ever it was .

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Trigger, rocmar, jshell, and huck. Thats all good advice, espescially the ice cream part lol. Hell if i promissed myself ice cream if i found it, i probably woulda found it already! Lol. Mmmm mint chocolate chip.. I kinda like the pellet idea. The hole is slightly bigger than .177 id say, so maybe if i stacked a few pellets on top of each other it would work. Im gonna see what i can find here at work this week. Thank yall for the comments.

Reactions: Jshell3 and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger, rocmar, jshell, and huck. Thats all good advice, espescially the ice cream part lol. Hell if i promissed myself ice cream if i found it, i probably woulda found it already! Lol. Mmmm mint chocolate chip.. I kinda like the pellet idea. The hole is slightly bigger than .177 id say, so maybe if i stacked a few pellets on top of each other it would work. Im gonna see what i can find here at work this week. Thank yall for the comments.
Kool...
let us know..
wat worked

RDRC

RDRC

Jul 31, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
My guess is that you are looking for a " T " shaped plunger that may or may not have been suspended by a small spring. I have not taken mine apart, but typically the rubber button pushes the plunger down to make a momentary contact with a dome shaped metal disc on the board. Compressing the disc closes a circuit that allows cycling thru the displays. Hope that helps. Hook it up to the wiring harness without the faceplate on and push down into the hole with a toothpick. If you can cycle the display, maybe you can fabricate something out of plastic to replace the lost part.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
RDRC, thanks for the comment. Yes, thats the plan. Ive got the circuit board in a rice bag right now. Ill pull it out this weekend and plug it in, if it works i will have to make something to push that button on the board. I dont know what the thing looks like that came out, or if it had a spring lol.

RDRC

RDRC

Jul 31, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on the depth of the hole. It may just be a disc with a short nub in the center. The disc diameter may be the same as the recessed flange inside the hole.

advertisement