P500 Pulls to the right

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
Good news is if all checks out, just unbolt the steering wheel and center. Had to do it after adding power steering. Good luck.
I tried doing exactly what you did after installing PS however the splines on the shaft would not allowing me to center it. It was either one hour to the left of one hour to the right. I had to disconnect the shaft all together and realign the wheel. Still off some. #$#%^&*

Reactions: Morpheus and Mudder

559Pioneer500

Aug 12, 2020
Clovis, CA
Ownership

1. 500
delfalte them and dont worry about the steering wheel, like others said once you change tire size the steering wheel will be off center. If it bothers you then unbolt it and put it back on straight.
good to know although it seems weird that it would be off center after a wheel change. I'm going to check the toe in/out on Wednesday and maybe that is off as well. At least the steering wheel is an easy fix

Reactions: Morpheus and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I tried doing exactly what you did after installing PS however the splines on the shaft would not allowing me to center it. It was either one hour to the left of one hour to the right. I had to disconnect the shaft all together and realign the wheel. Still off some. #$#%^&*
Same here, had to play with upper shaft splines and steering wheel splines more than once. But no regrets doing the PS.

559Pioneer500

Aug 12, 2020
Clovis, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Ok all, thanks for all the help. Toe in was at about 1/2”. So I adjusted that to 3/16” and tires are at 9psi all around. Will test ride and adjust steering wheel if needed. Thank you all!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank God it pulls to the right. If it pulled to the left you‘d either have to give it to Monty or put it out of our misery...

iGP2Racing

iGP2Racing

Dec 20, 2020
Potsdam
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all, I just put new 14” wheels and 26” tires on and it is pulling to the right now.
i don’t think that would do it, but also I got stuck today on atree stump and had to use the winch to get it out. It put a lot of lateral stress on the front wheels when I was pulling it sideways away from the stump. Would that have bent anything?
or perhaps made the steering wheel not be on center anymore? I ordered some toe plates to check the toe in, but they don’t arrive till late next week.
Thoughts?
Did you ever figure this out. My 1000-5 just started randomly pulling to the right. Didnt have an issue until I changed front a arms to super atv forward arched with rhino 2.0 axles. Thought was an install issue ( loose bolt or something like that) but checked over and over and haven't found anything wrong. But sometimes when it does it if you don't have a firm grip it will pull right out of my hands.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Did you ever figure this out. My 1000-5 just started randomly pulling to the right. Didnt have an issue until I changed front a arms to super atv forward arched with rhino 2.0 axles. Thought was an install issue ( loose bolt or something like that) but checked over and over and haven't found anything wrong. But sometimes when it does it if you don't have a firm grip it will pull right out of my hands.

@TripleB, faulty power steering controller?

Reactions: TripleB
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does it "sometimes" pull or always?.......have you checked your alignment/toe after the SATV arms?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

If it's the same issue as mine, it's the power steering unit. It's the same unit in the talon from 2019-2022. Look on ebay for a used one for $200-400. A new one from Honda cost like $800-1200.

Reactions: futzin
advertisement
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Screenshot 20240614 221229 Brave
Screenshot 20240614 221304 Brave
Screenshot 20240614 221318 Brave

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Jack it up, start the engine and let go of the steering wheel. If it turns right, your power steering unit is junk.

Reactions: trigger and futzin
iGP2Racing

iGP2Racing

Dec 20, 2020
Potsdam
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It
Does it "sometimes" pull or always?.......have you checked your alignment/toe after the SATV arms?
Does it sometimes
Doesn't do it all the time. Seems to do it more after going through mud or deep water. Afterwards as I drive down the trail it will just do random pulls to the right. Not a continuous pull but random tugs on the wheel

Reactions: JenElio
iGP2Racing

iGP2Racing

Dec 20, 2020
Potsdam
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jack it up, start the engine and let go of the steering wheel. If it turns right, your power steering unit is junk.
I will try that in the morning. Thanks for the info. Didnt think of that.

Reactions: JenElio
iGP2Racing

iGP2Racing

Dec 20, 2020
Potsdam
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will try that in the morning. Thanks for the info. Didnt think of that.
Tried this and moved the wheel back and forth to see if it would over steer itself but everything acted correctly. I stopped steering and it stopped. Power steering seems fine. Did notice a tear in driver side cv axel so don't know if maybe mud or water is getting inside and causing it to snap to the right randomly until it pushes it back out through the hole. At a total loss on what the issue could be.