P500 Power steering question

H

Hoop

I know this topic has been talked about a lot on this forum but my question is does anyone know why the tusk system is a $100 less then the ez steer system? They look like the same exact thing on the internet. Is the tusk system not as reliable?
I looked at 3 different units Tusk, EZ and Rugged. All appear to be same unit just different stickers on them. I bought the Rugged unit and it works great

H

Hoop

All the different makes have same problem, lower shaft top universal joint clearance from brake fluid reservoir. I installed the mounting plates, forced as far to right as possible then tightened the 6 bolts. With good clearance from brake reservoir, I drilled and tapped the top mounting plate and frame cross tubing and installed 1/4 bolt to make sure bracket could not shift and allow the universal joint to ever rub on the reservior

Reactions: J80
H

Hoop

I had no clearance issues with the Tusk system I put on my 202 P500. Had a good 1/2” clearance from reservoir without modification.
I did not have an issue with clearance either but having read comments from other owners and seeing how close the universal was to the brake fluid reservoir , I decided to install the 1/4 bolt so that if the steering motor mounting brackets ever loosened there would be no possibility of rubbing on reservoir.

Reactions: J80 and DaddyDubbs
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been a while since installing mine but knew about the reservoir clearance going in. Small machine, short shafts and tight tolerances so some of that is expected. My concern was with the amount of lift on the frame bracket, could turn the wheel and watch it flex up and down. Called SuperATV about it and they said it was normal. I left one of the shafts loose until finding its happy place, least amount of flex on that bracket, then cinched it down.

H

Hoop

Been a while since installing mine but knew about the reservoir clearance going in. Small machine, short shafts and tight tolerances so some of that is expected. My concern was with the amount of lift on the frame bracket, could turn the wheel and watch it flex up and down. Called SuperATV about it and they said it was normal. I left one of the shafts loose until finding its happy place, least amount of flex on that bracket, then cinched it down.
I notice the same, flexing of the mounting plate. Assume it was normal but did what you said, left top universal cinch bolt, on lower shaft, loose and turned steering abit then tightened the bolt. Installed 1/4 in bolt for peace of mind that the clearance could not change