P1000 POSSIBLE CLUTCH RECALL - IMPROVED CLUTCH REPLACEMENT MAY BE ON THE HORIZON

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
The one thing I noticed with mine is that it seems to shift "funny" after riding a certain way for a long time then switching to a different riding style. For example, last weekend we were riding at an average of 8 mph through some tougher terrain. Then we hit the grade after a few hours of that. Riding the grade is an average of 35 mph to get to the next good trail. During some of that time, my machine revs a little high between shifts to all gears. But it seems to smooth out after a little bit. Almost as if it learns and adapts. Im just going to purchase the extended warranty and stop worrying until I have an actual problem. If there is a "recall" or change, great.. if not, I still love it...
And I now have just under 600 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Cam

Oct 29, 2016
Australia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm having exactly the same issues as described above. Gap between gears when driving around. Difficult to select gears when stopped

. 1 of the first P1000 in Australia
. Makes the gator look very inferior

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having exactly the same issues as described above. Gap between gears when driving around. Difficult to select gears when stopped

. 1 of the first P1000 in Australia
. Makes the gator look very inferior
Welcome to the club, @Cam. Very cool that you have the first one down under! You'll find a little of good info here. You might want to try performing the clutch reset procedure. It will reset everything and begin learning how you drive it. Search for it on here. Remember to do it fast. It might take a couple of times to get it to work. Although you probably don't have a lot of miles on yours yet, you'll find that the shifting will get quieter after the first service. Mine also got considerably more quiet after doing the above procedure.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: CumminsPusher
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last update for a while most likely:

The dealer called me this past Saturday (10/30) and stated there still is no ETA on the updated part, but it is in testing and still in the works. In the meantime, Honda would like them to schedule my P1K3 in and replace the existing clutch for now. So I brought it in Monday, and now it is again like new, even got oil and filters changed with the clutch replacement procedure. The machine is at 645 miles with no other issues. Hopefully someday we see a recall notice in the mail...who knows.

On a good note, I explained to them how ever since the day I brought my machine home, there was a spot of grease on the left rear inner cv boot, which there certainly was. I thought twice about bringing it back to them, but was going on a ride on the weekend and also couldn't find a hole in the boot, so figured it was from assembly or whatever. After the first couple rides, I did have grease leaving a trail on the frame around the shaft boot, and more grease on the boot. I could tell they were trying to figure out if they should believe me, or if I was making up a story. All I could figure was it was a pin hole or something in the boot, and whatever they could do for me would be appreciated. When I got my machine back, they explained that Honda does not cover cv-boots, however, they replaced it as a goodwill repair at no charge to me. Excellent customer service, apparently customer retention is important to them, and I will be back again.....hopefully not for a while though. :)

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
There is a break in period for this machine. Shifting becomes smoother and better over time. That might be what you noticed. Also, after the first oil change you will notice a change. I suspect the ECM detects the first service and changes behaviour - its hard to believe fresh oil would make such a big difference.

Every clutch problem I've heard of has been covered under warranty.

1% failure rate sounds high enough to be concerned but the affected units are being repaired under warranty. After the 1% is take care care of, we're back to having Honda reliability. (IMHO) compare your options...
I think that 1% is low , I have a 1000-5 started having problems at 400k now at 1400 and at the dealer having the clutch replaced . The dealer told me that there is no update yet, just wondering if anybody has heard anything ?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wish they could figure out what parts are failing. Is it really a bad clutch or is it something else? This weekend while stuck in thick mud, I couldn't back up in reverse with all four tires pulling because the engine didn't have the power. It was thick mud and I got 30" tires. I would slap the throttle to the floor and the engine would struggle for a little bit and then die. It happened several times in a row, I would say my clutches and clutch pressure is fantastic. I've been running these 30 inch tires for 1300 miles now and it still hooks up strong enough to break the tires loose when it bangs through the gears. It will get loose on gravel going into 2nd and 3rd it hooks up so hard.

I hope I don't jinx myself but so far it seems bulletproof.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish they could figure out what parts are failing. Is it really a bad clutch or is it something else? This weekend while stuck in thick mud, I couldn't back up in reverse with all four tires pulling because the engine didn't have the power. It was thick mud and I got 30" tires. I would slap the throttle to the floor and the engine would struggle for a little bit and then die. It happened several times in a row, I would say my clutches and clutch pressure is fantastic. I've been running these 30 inch tires for 1300 miles now and it still hooks up strong enough to break the tires loose when it bangs through the gears. It will get loose on gravel going into 2nd and 3rd it hooks up so hard.

Sounds like you need the internal gear reduction they are finishing up. I'll purchase one after I see a few more install them. $800 bucks for 25% reduction and no increase in height or width. Should put us a little better than stock with 30's.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I sure as hell would have toasted mine doing that! Maybe some are aren't fully grabbing because of solenoids or pressures when they should I'm not sure but I swear I can't do that and never have been able to.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you need the internal gear reduction they are finishing up. I'll purchase one after I see a few more install them. $800 bucks for 25% reduction and no increase in height or width. Should put us a little better than stock with 30's.

Who is this gear reduction through and do you know how close they are to finishing? Also do you know if it's 25% lower in high and low, or just low via subtransmission? I would guess it's across the board so it can apply to reverse as well.

Thanks,

Waylan

Reactions: pct
advertisement
D

Dawson

Oct 10, 2016
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have received some great news from my local dealer here in Maine. After half-burning my R,1,3,5 clutch and experiencing high revs while slowly crawling through rough terrain in a tight woods trail on Thursday night, I spoke to Honda on Friday about getting my 1000-3 fixed. They initially told me they had one other customer that had the same problem, and told me not to worry, they would order the part (the clutch pack) and call me when it is in, and instructed me to drive it like I normally would in the meantime. The weekend has passed, which halfway through a 60 mile ride on Saturday, the transmission seemed to adjust itself and it stopped revving and hesitating between shifts and takeoff. However, when coming to a stop, I was now unable to shift back to Park without first turning the machine off. It is quite difficult to shift between modes at a stop at this point, which seems to be a side-effect of the transmission self-adjusting the clutch engagement. Pretty strange to be out riding and it seems to just auto-fix itself, lol.

Anyway, I just spoke to the dealership again this morning, to find out the parts ETA, and to explain my new transmission issue. They now have new information about a recall coming out which addresses this whole issue. I was told that the parts may not be available for 3 or 4 weeks at this point, but it affects all these transmissions, whether you've had a clutch issue or not. He explained that Honda has been quite aware of the issue, and has developed updated clutch packs that have not failed after extensive testing. I have no reason to believe this service writer is just blowing smoke up my ass, but at first it did seem too good to be true. Apparently this new recall clutch is much stronger and is 'the fix' to all our existing clutch problems.

I'm only repeating exactly what my Honda dealer told me, and I'm hoping this is 100% accurate. Some of you may want to contact your local dealer to confirm what I've been told. If this is fact, then this could put many of our minds at ease, as it did mine this morning. God I love being the bearer of great news! I'll update this thread as I find more information. I'm currently waiting to schedule my machine for repair once the new parts are available. Happy trails everyone!

D

Dawson

Oct 10, 2016
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have pioneer 1000 641 miles clutch started slipping 1,3,5 now can't shift to any gear without turning engine off first . And starting out in gear

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who is this gear reduction through and do you know how close they are to finishing? Also do you know if it's 25% lower in high and low, or just low via subtransmission? I would guess it's across the board so it can apply to reverse as well.

Thanks,

Waylan

Some guy on the Honda Pioneer 1000 Group. Had a lot of videos with a test vehicle on 32's and it performed well, just as well as stock seemed like. It's a 25% reduction in every mode.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some guy on the Honda Pioneer 1000 Group. Had a lot of videos with a test vehicle on 32's and it performed well, just as well as stock seemed like. It's a 25% reduction in every mode.
Thanks!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I'm not on Facebook, is there a way that I could view that video?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was hoping that tagging him here would get his attention. I'll see if I can message him on FB.

Reactions: Scooterchris
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was hoping that tagging him here would get his attention. I'll see if I can message him on FB.

Thank you, I just don't have time for FB so I've never joined. The plan is to never join despite all the pressure from friends and family.

I'm sure he will find a way to get the product advertised outside of face book.

advertisement