P1000 Polaris...

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
This whole story about the Polaris breaking a belt in first 30 miles sounds completely made up to me!

Polaris has never had any SxS with an aluminum belt cover for starters! Artic Cat has always had aluminum clutch covers though?

Belt damage is almost alway the result of poor driving- high range when it should be low range. Hell I've seen idiots smoke there belt loading it on the trailer taking delivery!

At least changing a damaged belt is only a 10min fix and only around $199.00 lesson.

Making up stories to trash another brand to make your favorite brand sound better is wrong!

I have both a P1k5 and Can-Am x3, and have put over 15,000 miles on Polaris RZR's and I can tell you without a doubt when the terrain gets really steep and super technical I always let my friends drive my belt drive machines and I take the Pioneer because it's clutches are so fragile!!!

Just speaking the truth here!
maybe the guy did a z1 swap and was trying to be a sleeper.... lol
the only thing i can think if he is breaking belts is maybe the bolts behind the primary come loose and scared up his clutches causing his belts to fray. but i have no answer for a belt putting a hole in a cover.

Reactions: moparornocar
L

liftedpsd2010

Dec 25, 2016
Lake Wales
Well called dealer. Lady had no idea what I was talking about but is going to ask around and call me back. Anyone in the path of hurricane Irma stay safe. And hope everyone makes it through with no injuries. I am in Central Florida and traffic is crazy right now.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
If Honda would come out with a HRC kit like they had for the 450r with a cam and exhaust they would fly off the shelf. Add the programmer to get the extra 1000 rpm just like you could do with the green wire mod on the trx450r. Just wake it up a little!

Yeah we are running out of gas and water up here in N. Fl. and the traffic coming up is horrible.

How do they expect me to ride the P3 around in the hurricane if I can't get any gas? Lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If Honda would come out with a HRC kit like they had for the 450r with a cam and exhaust they would fly off the shelf. Add the programmer to get the extra 1000 rpm just like you could do with the green wire mod on the trx450r. Just wake it up a little!

Yeah we are running out of gas and water up here in N. Fl. and the traffic coming up is horrible.

How do they expect me to ride the P3 around in the hurricane if I can't get any gas? Lol
I don't think that "they" expect you to do that! :D

L

liftedpsd2010

Dec 25, 2016
Lake Wales
I don't think that "they" expect you to do that! :D
Lol I've got my ranger all fueled up and an extra 20 gallons in cans. I should be ok with flooding I'm snorkeled to the top of head rests. Lady called back and service manager told her they would have to send it off to be flashed. I asked where they send it and she said he doesn't know he's never done it. Lol i said so how would he send it. She said let me get back to you. Haha

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lol I've got my ranger all fueled up and an extra 20 gallons in cans. I should be ok with flooding I'm snorkeled to the top of head rests. Lady called back and service manager told her they would have to send it off to be flashed. I asked where they send it and she said he doesn't know he's never done it. Lol i said so how would he send it. She said let me get back to you. Haha

That's hilarious dude. :D Be careful out there.

Reactions: Windrock1000
L

liftedpsd2010

Dec 25, 2016
Lake Wales
That's hilarious dude. :D Be careful out there.
Definitely will. I'd leave state if me and the wife weren't required to work. She works at hospital and I work utilities for city. So should be fun. Not lol. I really hope it veers east but man I am right in the middle of Florida and it doesn't look good. Hwy 27 and sr60 intersect in my city so it's a mad house.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Definitely will. I'd leave state if me and the wife weren't required to work. She works at hospital and I work utilities for city. So should be fun. Not lol. I really hope it veers east but man I am right in the middle of Florida and it doesn't look good. Hwy 27 and sr60 intersect in my city so it's a mad house.

It would be nice if it went east back over water and lost some steam. Thanks for the work you and your wife are going to stay behind and do!!!!!

L

liftedpsd2010

Dec 25, 2016
Lake Wales
It would be nice if it went east back over water and lost some steam. Thanks for the work you and your wife are going to stay behind and do!!!!!
Thank you. We don't anticipate it hitting us directly so hopefully some mild wind and a lot of rain is all we get. I'll try to get some pictures if it gets wild.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Same here with the pics... I rode in the last two minor ones. The key is to make some rain guards that come out past your roll cage on both sides. They shed the water coming off the windshield just like vent visors.... But when it's blowing sideways it doesn't help at all... Head in to the wind!!! Godspeed!

Reactions: Plumber32
advertisement
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Sorry to butt in this thread but you guys are bringing up tuning. My buddy just bought a pioneer 1000 and the dealer told him for 200 dollars he can get it re programmed to get about 10 more mph. What is this dealer doing to gain another 10mph? Dealer told him it would run about 77-79 mph. Just wondering what this dealer is talking about.

Put some 30's on and wind it to 10 or 11k rpm. Easy as this thing is a high revving engine as others have said. I am getting used to it. Let it rip. Never forget many years ago when a balanced small block chevy didn't sound good till it hit 8k. Ha!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Put some 30's on and wind it to 10 or 11k rpm. Easy as this thing is a high revving engine as others have said. I am getting used to it. Let it rip. Never forget many years ago when a balanced small block chevy didn't sound good till it hit 8k. Ha!
I'm glad you mentioned RPM. I sorta cringe when I'm floorboard for a minute straight showing 8 grand on the tach. Is this engine ok spinning that fast for that long? Is it about to grenade at 8K or is it just a walk in the park? I know Honda sport bikes can turn 10K or more all day long but I wonder if this engine has that ability?

Reactions: Windrock1000
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad you mentioned RPM. I sorta cringe when I'm floorboard for a minute straight showing 8 grand on the tach. Is this engine ok spinning that fast for that long? Is it about to grenade at 8K or is it just a walk in the park? I know Honda sport bikes can turn 10K or more all day long but I wonder if this engine has that ability?

If 10k was on the table I think it'd also be on the tach.

The 700 sounds like it's gonna blow up at 45mph. The 1000 sounds like an angry hornets nest at 8000rpm.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

I've seen this awhile back, and was super interested. Was even gonna get some of those sweet 01 stickers made up. I have an orange P3. Seems if they add the programmer, with the 30" tires to get the speed past 70. I've also seen where it raises the rev limiter 1000 rpms somewhere I'll see if I can't locate it. This would help get the top speed past 70 as well.

Let's hear about this Africa Twin cam...?

What do you want to now about the CRF1000 AKA African Twin cam?

1 I put the true 44 mm air intake off the African in instead of the Pioneer's 40 mm ( I am going to bore the factory one like Snuff did )

2 I put African cam and exhaust valve springs in everything else is factory on the valve train

3 I took the restrictive stainless steel exhaust baffle out and left spark arrest er in and other wise stock

I did not touch the tuning (unplugged my Power Commander) and now it runs like I thought it should from the factory it pulls smoothly the whole way to cutout but I have not rode beside anybody to give a good read on the power gain, it did gain but I have nothing to gauge it off of as soon as I know I will start a blow by blow performance thread with my verified improvements.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This whole story about the Polaris breaking a belt in first 30 miles sounds completely made up to me!

Polaris has never had any SxS with an aluminum belt cover for starters! Artic Cat has always had aluminum clutch covers though?

Belt damage is almost alway the result of poor driving- high range when it should be low range. Hell I've seen idiots smoke there belt loading it on the trailer taking delivery!

At least changing a damaged belt is only a 10min fix and only around $199.00 lesson.

Making up stories to trash another brand to make your favorite brand sound better is wrong!

I have both a P1k5 and Can-Am x3, and have put over 15,000 miles on Polaris RZR's and I can tell you without a doubt when the terrain gets really steep and super technical I always let my friends drive my belt drive machines and I take the Pioneer because it's clutches are so fragile!!!

Just speaking the truth here!

I understand why you may think my story is false. As I have already admitted I did not see the damage. I was going off of the information I was told by the owners of the two rigs while we were talking at the bar that evening. I don't usually hear other people trashing their own rig but maybe they were BS'ing me. Firstly the belt broke at 33 hours not 30 miles. The rigs were both Polaris RZR 1000 Turbos (a 2015 RZR XP 1000 Fox Edition Turbo, and a 2016 RZR XP Turbo EPS Spectra Orange) The 2016 is the rig that blew the belt on the trail.

The owner of the 2016 was a pipe-fitter and I would assume knew the difference between plastic and aluminum. I have tried searching the internet to find instances of similar problems but haven't really come up with much. My best guess would be the aluminum that broke would be the piece circled in red in the attached picture. But again I did not see the damage so this is purely speculation.

I ride with a Ranger 570 and have been very impressed with how well it can keep up with the P1K and it has had less issues than my P1K. I am willing to try anything once, if money allowed I would probably try it more than once. I just want to try and clarify that I am not here to make up stories to try and badmouth any brand, just relaying stories from my experiences on the trails.

Polaris

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Thanks @GPR1500SC keep us updated please... Looking forward to that thread!

Quick up date we had a hot dog roast on a sand bar last Friday I did not have time to auto tune my Power Commander 5 just plugged it in the way it was it was running 10:0 to 1 AFR thought it would be better running rich then leave it stock / lean.

Earlier in the night I sunk it in some soft sand took two winches to pull me out well last thing we did before loading on the trailer was drag racing it.

I was racing a Deluxe with the only mods being a winch and a half window that I had raced before I got a full windshield and roof
He would jump me off the line by 4 feet (like normal) then I would slowly creep up about six inches to a foot hold that up to 60 mph.

I was disappointed that my butt meter was that wrong until we ran them across the scales and I was weighing 2120 pounds and his was weighing 1780 pounds when I got to cleaning it up Saturday my rear foot wells where full of sand and had some sand on the skid plate.

So the whole race really proved nothing so eventually I will get it tuned in and get some real results.

J

JTW

Quick up date we had a hot dog roast on a sand bar last Friday I did not have time to auto tune my Power Commander 5 just plugged it in the way it was it was running 10:0 to 1 AFR thought it would be better running rich then leave it stock / lean.

Earlier in the night I sunk it in some soft sand took two winches to pull me out well last thing we did before loading on the trailer was drag racing it.

I was racing a Deluxe with the only mods being a winch and a half window that I had raced before I got a full windshield and roof
He would jump me off the line by 4 feet (like normal) then I would slowly creep up about six inches to a foot hold that up to 60 mph.

I was disappointed that my butt meter was that wrong until we ran them across the scales and I was weighing 2120 pounds and his was weighing 1780 pounds when I got to cleaning it up Saturday my rear foot wells where full of sand and had some sand on the skid plate.

So the whole race really proved nothing so eventually I will get it tuned in and get some real results.
So this is or isn't worth doing?

Reactions: moparornocar
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
My gut feeling for money spent it is worth it, I should not have posted anything until I have had time to tune it in I am very busy right now and it is low on the priority list of things I have to do as we are emptying the barn sorting and shipping pigs and then will have to wash and sanitize it for the next group of babies, so between being a dad and keeping after my work it feels like my candle is burning at both end I was even late for the hot dog roast and ride to my children's disgust it is life and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Last edited:
advertisement