P1000 Pioneer runs then randomly shuts off.

Marshallmike25

Marshallmike25

Jul 29, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok I’m going to try to explain. My 2016 pioneer 1000 will run great for a couple hours and then shut down. It will down shift threw the gears and then shut off. Start back up and run a little bit then die again. I had this problem with the injector wires a few years ago. I checked those and they are all good. Put a fresh battery in and it’s still doing it. Drove today for a couple hours fine then started acting up.

• Wow
Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Check ALL Your grounds real good!
if there tight, take them off, clean them good check for corrosion in the fitting, repair if needed and tighten them again.
Pretty sure There is something not making a good connection. Report back after u fix it.

Marshallmike25

Marshallmike25

Jul 29, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check ALL Your grounds real good!
if there tight, take them off, clean them good check for corrosion in the fitting, repair if needed and tighten them again.
Pretty sure There is something not making a good connection. Report back after u fix it.
Will do. How many factory ground locations are there?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A few. Theres one in the motor behind the driver in a tight spot,
One under the hood,
Your battery groumd also and follow that to
The chassis. Do a search up top to make sure. Its been covered
Before

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Try this it may sound strange but it doesn't cost you anything ,just time. Mine acted weird something like your describing. Mine ran good for a long time then it seemed like it was losing power . I had tracks on at the time so it was cold. Then it shut down. I'd turn the key off. Then I would turn it back on and I could hear a clicking sound. It would start up but as soon as I would put it into gear it would die. If I would let it sit for 15 minutes then start it up it would work fine. Then eventually on the same ride after awhile it would do the same thing. The clicking had me thinking that it wasn't shifting properly. I took the shift motor apart to find that there was crud in the motor and the armature was covered in black carbon build up. After cleaning it all up and using fine sand paper to bring back the coper on the armature it's been working fine for a couple years now. Mine was a 2016 as well. If the shift motor is dirty it's going to give you weird things happening plus different codes will be thrown. I recomend to anyone with over 8000 klms to take there shift motors off and clean them up. They build up with carbon then don't work properly. I should check mine again soon as I'm probably right around that since the last clean up. Try it see what your shift motor looks like inside and let us know how dirty it is.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Response to my post #4
Im just trying to get u to do simple things first to cross them off. If u jump all over the map and pass up the simple things, you wont be happy when it was one of those!
as I tell my apprentices in my trade,
Work smarter Not Harder!

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
When my 2016 started randomly dieing it was the shift motor, took some sand paper to it and it's working happily ever after.
The transmission self preservation mode is to shut the engine off if it is confused or it something isn't responding.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
MarshallMike25 - Remington has the best and hopefully winning advice. My new 2021 would do what yours is doing. I was sure it was fuel and ran all the traps on the fuel system - draining, additives, etc.
The problem was the under the rear floor, second engine ground. It was in the shop twice and for a total of 3 weeks before they found it. The ground was tight, but they pulled it, cleaned it, and reinstalled. No problems ever since.
Somewhere on this site is a photo from the service manual.
If the grounds aren't the problem, go with the advice above.
Best.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Marshallmike25 heres what i found for ground in the the “search”
23FCCEA2 B553 42BA 8154 459CD54F0569

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Code 1-3 is the rear injector. (Code 1-2 is the front). I just had to replace mine for the third time. Engine shake over time breaks the wires right at the plug. Injector wire repair kits are available in the club store. It's an easy fix. I'd recommend buying two kits because the other one will eventually fail. When making your repair, try to secure the pigtail to prevent the wire from "hinging" where it goes into the plug body. If it wags back and forth while idling, it will fail sooner.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Code 1-3 is the rear injector. (Code 1-2 is the front). I just had to replace mine for the third time. Engine shake over time breaks the wires right at the plug. Injector wire repair kits are available in the club store. It's an easy fix. I'd recommend buying two kits because the other one will eventually fail. When making your repair, try to secure the pigtail to prevent the wire from "hinging" where it goes into the plug body. If it wags back and forth while idling, it will fail sooner.
Good to know!

advertisement