Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My wife and I are getting close to getting a new Pioneer 500 but she has some concerns about the shifting. I explained it is like the ATV's but she is not too sure how it will work or if she will be comfortable with it. Does anyone have a video of how to shift it or know of one anywhere. I would like to show her something so she gets a better feel for it before we go to the dealer and such.
Thanks

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
I'm a new owner. I haven't ridden mine much yet, but the shifting feels very natural. Easy to do. I did learn to drive in a '63 Chevy pickup with three on the tree. I like it much better than foot shifting an ATV.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice thing a bout paddle shifter and tranny you don't have to let off on the throttle. And there is true engine hold back on downshifting. My wife loves rippin around with ours always big grins. My 14 year old daughter picked it up instantly.... Your wife will have no issues, right hand squeeze means you go faster left is slower. Honda did a great job with the design of this shifter feels very natural, don't have to look just a quick squeeze...

Have fun with the new machine

jrc

N

norcalmendo

Dec 29, 2013
Isn't it still recommended to let off the throttle while shifting?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Great info - thank you all.
I have had a bunch of standard shift atvs but think my wife is thinking it is like driving a 75 Jeep with a 3 speed so something. I am glad to hear everyone is pleased with the system - I see it as a fun aspect of the SxS.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
norcalmendo said:
Isn't it still recommended to let off the throttle while shifting?
For me depends on what I'm doing. I usually let off to up shift, but have also kept it floored too.

Jrc

M

Mikej

May 14, 2015
For me depends on what I'm doing. I usually let off to up shift, but have also kept it floored too.

Jrc
I'm having issues with the paddle shifter at this time. It hangs up between 2nd and 3rd. I don't have the issue all the time but it's more frequent now. Fixing to bring it to the shop. First thing the mechanic said have you had it in the mud. I haven't had it in the mud but is there a issue with putting side by sides in the mud....what are they made for?