P500 p5 suspension

C

Chooglin

guys im telling you for the rears you definitely want the hd because we changed the angle of the shock ill agree with you on the fronts if you wants a softer ride for going slower but its completely different on the rear they were never hard or harsh i think the sd would be to soft
Ok you convinced me , I am ordering the HD

Reactions: JamieH and jak9922
C

Chooglin

Ordered
Screenshot 2016 11 01 18 58 41

Reactions: jak9922
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good man im just looking out for you we all know ive tested the hell out of them

to sum up
425's
SD: part #425-1002 spring rate=225/400
HD: part #425-1003 spring rate=285/485

HD :part #429-1003 spring rate 240/430

I will volunteer to try 429

Reactions: jak9922
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since I've got "like" = 'blessings" from jak9922 on my post about 429, i feel much better now :). It's kinda exiting and scary to test first time.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
im excited for you guys excitement!!!! ive been love this for 6mths now lol

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

@solrus thanks for the heads up but I just ordered from the same place I bought the fronts from.

The hardest part of doing this mod , was trying to decide on wich shocks to get......lol

So are you getting the 425's or the 429's ?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
429 :), my ass might have cushy or jumpy ride if I bottom out :))).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
no ull be good for a while depends how much you push it but trust me ull run alittle faster now

Reactions: solrus
advertisement
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
oh u will be jamming just not your back anymore lll

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont see any comments from ChrisC.

425 HD rear, please post your impressions

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My setup rides great with the HD 425 in the rear . I've only got about 300 miles on new shocks,but they are loosening up a bit as the miles go on. Often wondered what the SD ones would be like ? Long term ,with wear I'm guessing the HD will stand up better. We have a lot more weight in the rear VS front.
Chooglin's shock mounts will make for easy adaptation of the rhino shocks! A half hours work and your done!
It's going to be close to the wheel with those mounts without spacers!

As for what shocks to use on that setup?
We have 10" long a arm that has the shock mount at 6" from inner pivot point . Moving the mount to 9" from the pivot point will change things a bit?.

The travel of the shock will increase as wheel goes up and down? Does that mean you'd need a softer shock to allow easier movement or a heavier one to sort of take more load? The angle on the shock is the same as jak's and mine....the travel of shock seems to be more?
I've been trying to find info on suspension setup sites ,but haven't seen anything related to shock placement on a arm?

I'm guessing it'll have as much to do with how hard you ride and how much weight you carry around. Everyone has different terrain,riding style and uses

my 2cents ....

Reactions: solrus and Chooglin
C

Chooglin

My setup rides great with the HD 425 in the rear . I've only got about 300 miles on new shocks,but they are loosening up a bit as the miles go on. Often wondered what the SD ones would be like ? Long term ,with wear I'm guessing the HD will stand up better. We have a lot more weight in the rear VS front.
Chooglin's shock mounts will make for easy adaptation of the rhino shocks! A half hours work and your done!
It's going to be close to the wheel with those mounts without spacers!

As for what shocks to use on that setup?
We have 10" long a arm that has the shock mount at 6" from inner pivot point . Moving the mount to 9" from the pivot point will change things a bit?.

The travel of the shock will increase as wheel goes up and down? Does that mean you'd need a softer shock to allow easier movement or a heavier one to sort of take more load? The angle on the shock is the same as jak's and mine....the travel of shock seems to be more?
I've been trying to find info on suspension setup sites ,but haven't seen anything related to shock placement on a arm?

I'm guessing it'll have as much to do with how hard you ride and how much weight you carry around. Everyone has different terrain,riding style and uses

my 2cents ....
Thanks for your opinion and thoughts , that really helps !

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
After tying to find the difference between the 425 and 429 shock (excepting the spring rate) ,it looks like major difference is(besides price) :

429 :the IFP ( Internal Floating Piston ) . "It separates shock oil from a high-pressure nitrogen gas chamber that provides a predictable ride quality capable of handling the roughest road or track conditions".

The 425's are "an emulsion shock, the oil and nitrogen are mixed. This can cause cavitation or air pockets in the shock during vigorous riding which can result in temporary loss of performance"
they say the 425 is a 16mm shock but dont mention anything about that with the 429's

anyone have experience with these "floater Shocks" ? I ve heard of them on snowmobiles ,but never paid much attention

Reactions: solrus
C

Chooglin

It sounds like if you are a very aggressive (say a racer or hare scrambler) balls to the walls type rider , the 429's would be the shock to get.

I am mainly a trail rider (some mudd , rough trails) so I think the 425' would suit me best. As I mentioned before , I hate that I need to come to an almost complete stop when I see a bump or dip in the trail.I don't drive fast but i would love to go through the trails at a nice even pace !

That is some real good info @chrisC

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement