P1000 P1K clutch recall fix...

H

HondaTech

I just wanted to report back since I brought it into the dealer. So after the repair/recall work was completed, I took it out and found for the most part it did just fine except for 2 small occasions were the machine just cut off for no reason. It was just turned off as if I turned the key to off and the only way I could restart it was to turn the key completely to the "off" position and then start it again. Like I said, this happened twice since I got it back from the dealer. Well, I took it back out the next day and it happened again but only this time it happened a lot more often. I would say for the 3+ hrs. I had it out, it turned off by itself about a dozen of times. I immediately contact the dealer yet once again, I'm starting to feel like I got a lemon here...so frustrated! So currently, it's back at the dealer again. Meanwhile, I've been doing some research on my issues and found that what may be causing this is the fuel injector plug connectors. Apparently, the wire on these (especially earlier models like mine 2016) connectors have a history of breaking and/or separating causing a faulty connection at the injector. So I'm curious if anyone of you guys have had this issue and also if not, would a weak or bad battery cause this same symptom. Thank you for any feed backs, I'll probably repost this on a new thread.

What is the dash doing when it shuts off?

Any codes?

Does the oil pressure light come on before the engine dies?

Was it doing this before the update? Dont want to be chasing an injector issue if that's not what's causing the problem. See if you can pull any codes and go in that direction.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is the dash doing when it shuts off?

Any codes?

Does the oil pressure light come on before the engine dies?

Was it doing this before the update? Dont want to be chasing an injector issue if that's not what's causing the problem. See if you can pull any codes and go in that direction.

ok yeah, i see and oil light after it cuts off but no codes and it did this prior to the recall as well.

H

HondaTech

I have an 18 that I bought new. How do I know if mine is one that needs to be done?

I believe most of not all 18s had the update factory installed. But to be sure, take off the oil fill plastic panel and look beside the emergency valve brass flathead. There should be a bolt "hump" with another smaller bump on it. If it's there then the update is installed.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just wanted to report back since I brought it into the dealer. So after the repair/recall work was completed, I took it out and found for the most part it did just fine except for 2 small occasions were the machine just cut off for no reason. It was just turned off as if I turned the key to off and the only way I could restart it was to turn the key completely to the "off" position and then start it again. Like I said, this happened twice since I got it back from the dealer. Well, I took it back out the next day and it happened again but only this time it happened a lot more often. I would say for the 3+ hrs. I had it out, it turned off by itself about a dozen of times. I immediately contact the dealer yet once again, I'm starting to feel like I got a lemon here...so frustrated! So currently, it's back at the dealer again. Meanwhile, I've been doing some research on my issues and found that what may be causing this is the fuel injector plug connectors. Apparently, the wire on these (especially earlier models like mine 2016) connectors have a history of breaking and/or separating causing a faulty connection at the injector. So I'm curious if anyone of you guys have had this issue and also if not, would a weak or bad battery cause this same symptom. Thank you for any feed backs, I'll probably repost this on a new thread.
Yep. My 2016 had the injector wire problem too. Very common on the early models.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep. My 2016 had the injector wire problem too. Very common on the early models.

Hi, did your cut off issue same as what I described? I mean basically cuts off while driving and/or coming to a stop and needs the key to turn back to "off position" before it can restart? Just trying to figure out if you had the exact problem. Thanks

A

Aviator

Jan 7, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2017. Mine does not have the updated cover because it does not have the "bump." My dealer looked up my VIN and said mine was not affected. Should I try another dealer or at least push further? I'm not having any noticeable problems from the clutch.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have a 2017. Mine does not have the updated cover because it does not have the "bump." My dealer looked up my VIN and said mine was not affected. Should I try another dealer or at least push further? I'm not having any noticeable problems from the clutch.
Yes. The update ends this year, it is free to have it done they need to honor that. It’s a very favorable update. It allows more lubrication and cooling for the clutches which is nothing but positive. Allows for longer life as well as mistake a or two. Also shifts better. I highly recommend it!

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If they ran your vin for a "recall" yes it would not show up. This is not a recall.

And unless they could provide a updated service doc saying "some" were affected I'd go back and talk with them.

This is a product update campaign. Not a recall. I would ask them to call the honda tech line to check.

But. Since your not having problems means you might not ever.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, did your cut off issue same as what I described? I mean basically cuts off while driving and/or coming to a stop and needs the key to turn back to "off position" before it can restart? Just trying to figure out if you had the exact problem. Thanks
Exactly that same symptom. That ecu will shut off the engine with only one misfire detected. Won't reset until key off restart.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just glanced at some of the post I might have missed something but have the 2018 model had this done. I haven't had problems just checking.

D

Dasmoeturhead

B
Bummer. Why isn't there anymore decent techs? I know there's still some out there, but for the most part there's not. After I had mine done from a decent but sloppy tech, my machine dripped oil onto my pristine shop floor (wood) that I had kept clean for the past 4 oil/filter changes. Pissed me off. As a tech for almost 40 years it just irks me. On the upside the machine has never run better. Knock on the wood shop floor of my shed lol.

Last edited:

68xlch

Nov 1, 2018
usa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks for the reply guys but I'm scheduled to have it done. I was just asking to see who already have this done and how everything is holding up? I've gone through two repairs already but both were done prior to the actual recall were officially send out. When my dealer made these previous repairs they replaced the clutch packs with oem's but until now (the recall), the replacement suppose to be an updated clutch pack and an updated cover as well?? Not sure whats all been updated but all I know it suppose to be updated and beefed up. Going through this issue twice already and this is my 3rd time, I was just curious how much better this updated fix really is....

68xlch

Nov 1, 2018
usa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just had mine done a week ago. what a difference. my clutches were fine, just had to put the new cover on and bearing and gaskets etc. shifts unbelievably better, alot smoother.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is scheduled for this Wednesday,gas pedal and clutch cover.Positive thoughts LOL,have to admit Im nervous

advertisement