Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my usual ride to work. In last month it only stayed home 2 days. My other vehicles all have over 200k miles on them with the newest being a 99. I don't care for new/nice. I find what I like and keep it. Maybe that's why the small complaints with the p1k don't bother me. It's just an excuse to modify it to suit me better lol.
View attachment 51523
Gosh I can not wait until I can do this here - IF / When the law passes in AR I am so taking my kid to school in the Honda the next day!!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll jump in I guess, I bought the very first pioneer in NW Arkansas. The first few months before I joined this forum, I drove everywhere in high, backup and down hills, drove down creeks up to the bottom of the seat, all the things everyone is scared of these days. Mine has 1500 miles on it. None are road miles. It hasn’t had any problems other than the accessories I had put on fit like crap. I do know some have had problems. Seems the guys that have problems have lots of problems. I’d say Honda probably has a QC problem, but I’d bet every model has some units that slip out not completely correct. Not to mention these things get beat and shook like crazy. I got the Honda because I wanted to be able to carry my family when needed and didn’t want a super long vehicle. I also hunt and have a family farm. I remember trying to get my 12 point buck in the back of my Rzr. I had quite a few bungees and straps across the back to get it to stay in there. With the Honda, I just shut the tailgate. Pick what you like the best and drive it. My family current has a diesel ranger, a diesel gator, a diesel Kubota RTV, and a diesel mule. All have issues. We work on them and drive them. Some have more than others but you learn how to make them work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is my usual ride to work. In last month it only stayed home 2 days. My other vehicles all have over 200k miles on them with the newest being a 99. I don't care for new/nice. I find what I like and keep it. Maybe that's why the small complaints with the p1k don't bother me. It's just an excuse to modify it to suit me better lol.
View attachment 51523
I
That's awesome. I'm trying to lobby for Ky to legalize Atvs and Utvs on highways.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gosh I can not wait until I can do this here - IF / When the law passes in AR I am so taking my kid to school in the Honda the next day!!
Ive picked my daughter up from school many times with mine. Of course she is always ashamed of being seen in her dad's lifted sxs.....said no kid EVER!!! Lmao. It's fun for sure to drive them on road.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ll jump in I guess, I bought the very first pioneer in NW Arkansas. The first few months before I joined this forum, I drove everywhere in high, backup and down hills, drove down creeks up to the bottom of the seat, all the things everyone is scared of these days. Mine has 1500 miles on it. None are road miles. It hasn’t had any problems other than the accessories I had put on fit like crap. I do know some have had problems. Seems the guys that have problems have lots of problems. I’d say Honda probably has a QC problem, but I’d bet every model has some units that slip out not completely correct. Not to mention these things get beat and shook like crazy. I got the Honda because I wanted to be able to carry my family when needed and didn’t want a super long vehicle. I also hunt and have a family farm. I remember trying to get my 12 point buck in the back of my Rzr. I had quite a few bungees and straps across the back to get it to stay in there. With the Honda, I just shut the tailgate. Pick what you like the best and drive it. My family current has a diesel ranger, a diesel gator, a diesel Kubota RTV, and a diesel mule. All have issues. We work on them and drive them. Some have more than others but you learn how to make them work for you.

I have zero experience with the transmission used in the Pioneers. Is the issue with the clutches due to larger wheels and tires being installed, general abuse by the owners, or is it just simply not built tough enough from the factory. Or because it's not a typical transmission used in a utv are owners driving in the wrong gear. I know it happens with cvts alot. A person will be In high gear when they should be in low and vice versa

Reactions: sharp
JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ive picked my daughter up from school many times with mine. Of course she is always ashamed of being seen in her dad's lifted sxs.....said no kid EVER!!! Lmao. It's fun for sure to drive them on road.
That's so cool! My boys would love it! Their mom not so much. Lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have zero experience with the transmission used in the Pioneers. Is the issue with the clutches due to larger wheels and tires being installed, general abuse by the owners, or is it just simply not built tough enough from the factory. Or because it's not a typical transmission used in a utv are owners driving in the wrong gear. I know it happens with cvts alot. A person will be In high gear when they should be in low and vice versa
The real problem is the inconsistency of the failures. Some are big tires, some are bone stock. Instead of mechanical linkage, it used oil pressure to work the inner hub which clamps the clutch. There are so many variables it's hard to point to the exact problem. Even people with IGR's have had failures so gearing isn't the culprit. I agree with the QC comment. I think some bad units slipped through.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Opinions are like you know what... my opinion is that it is partially the larger heavier tires and where you ride them. I’m sure you would burn up belts with 31”+ tires in mud up to the dash... those guys I think get what is expected. However, there are some units that just burn up clutches for no reason really. Again, I think this is a QC issue. Most guys have had good luck on their replacement clutches once the oil valves have been chamfered.

advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The clutches I’m aware of are the Honda clutches. The dealer are probably doing most of these replacements as most of these sxs are still under warrantee. The guys who aren’t are doing their own. I know CP and Kilo have been doing their own replacements.

Reactions: sharp and JM10614
JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The clutches I’m aware of are the Honda clutches. The dealer are probably doing most of these replacements as most of these sxs are still under warrantee. The guys who aren’t are doing their own. I know CP and Kilo have been doing their own replacements.

Having dealer and manufacture support makes the whole repair process a little less stressful. I've noticed with my Polaris unless it happens to be a major recall you are S.O.L. with getting Polaris to cover the repair cost

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I am one that moved from a 700-4 to a P1kLE. The fox shocks , extra storage, aluminum skid and Matte gray color really nice. I added the extra 4 uear warrenty on mine and am not going to worry about it. The dash heat is nonexistent on my 17, the seat heat is noticeable but have the DEI heat sheild on order. So i really like my LE.
Sure the Rzr can run 45 mph over rocky trails! But i cant put my 40 gal sprayer or a bed full of mulch for the wifes flower beds in the back of the 2 set Rzr.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am one that moved from a 700-4 to a P1kLE. The fox shocks , extra storage, aluminum skid and Matte gray color really nice. I added the extra 4 uear warrenty on mine and am not going to worry about it. The dash heat is nonexistent on my 17, the seat heat is noticeable but have the DEI heat sheild on order. So i really like my LE.
Sure the Rzr can run 45 mph over rocky trails! But i cant put my 40 gal sprayer or a bed full of mulch for the wifes flower beds in the back of the 2 set Rzr.

The matte gray color looks so good on the le models!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Absolutely agree with all of that. I work at Nissan powertrain plant. Don't own a Nissan (wife does. It's sitting in the weeds with blown trans).
Soooo...You're basically saying that you can't assemble a transmission. Takes a big man to admit his weakness.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I drive a 89 Gmc and a rebuilt title Sonata. People say why don't you drive a new Toyota to me all the time. If I did that I wouldn't be able to buy my toys, is always my response. Lol.
Same boat! Rebuilt 01 xterra for wife 98' cummins for me. I can afford a new truck but then family would sit at home so I could drive something pretty to work.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Honda uses a DCT in their Rubicon and their Rancher models. A nearly identical engine/DCT is used on the Africa Twin. None of those units have the problems the Pioneer has. Now they are different applications but the basic design seems to work fine. It is a very complicated system not even taking the assembly process into account and it is taking Honda a while to determine which variables are causing problems and it is likely a combination of them that is doing it. Honda WILL figure out what isn't working so I wouldn't let the clutches drive my decision about whether to get the machine or not.

My biggest gripe with my Pioneer was the fact I didn't like the way it worked for my uses. I use it around very hilly property going 1-10 MPH. The Pioneer was annoying to use like this for me. It generated a lot of heat, I had the choice of either putting it in Manual and forcing it to stay in 1st gear up to 7-8 MPH and letting the engine scream like a jet engine or leave it in auto and have it shift between 1st and 2nd. While shifting in High Range isn't too bad, Low Range shifting will make you head bang. Do that for an hour and I get really annoyed. A CVT is much better for me in this situation and I prefer it. Riding pretty fast, the ability of the Pioneer to shift was really fun and it was very useful to upshift to a higher gear and make it much quieter. But you can only do that when you are going fairly fast. Not something you can do when you are going slow because the transmission will automatically downshift to a lower gear to prevent lugging and prevent damage to the clutches. I was also aggravated with the seeming constant requirement to "fix" something. Either the mode selector was going out or screws/bolts were backing out/falling out or parts wouldn't fit. That got really old, really fast. I prefer the Defender so far other than not having shifting.

If you want something that has a tilting bed and the ability to carry more than 3 people and you want to be less than 10 feet long, the Pioneer is your ONLY choice right now.

If you don't want a tilting bed and are okay with a little noise/heat and want to comfortably haul people the Kawasaki Teryx-4 is short and very durable but it is hotter and noisier than the Pioneer and it has less wheel travel.

If you don't mind a little longer machine (133 inches) and still have a tilting bed the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT is out there. It isn't as fast as the Pioneer but it is extremely durable and can seat 6.

I only need to haul myself and my wife or myself and my brother most of the time. The Defender suits me better but you should try several before you buy. The Pioneer may be a better fit for you and your circumstances. But don't let the clutches be your deciding factor. Lots of guys here and on Facebook don't have any problems at all. Make your choice based on the features and how you will use it because everything out there can fail given the right circumstances. For instance you would think that the Kubota SXS is so slow and heavily built that it should be impervious to problems until you read their forums. ;)

SheepCreekAK

SheepCreekAK

Apr 20, 2016
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Youre right, first year models always tend to have more problems. I work at the Toyota plant that builds the Camry and Avalon and the same can be said for them after we do a redesign. But I also know that when you post a question like I did you will tend to hear the people who have had problems speak up more than those who havent. So who really knows? You may have a 100 Pioneers built with no problems for every one built that does have a defect. Basically youre just left with something else to consider, do the pros outweigh the cons. This can be said for all brands and models
This is my first SXS but i have owned all of the other brands and one thing is for sure, none of them are perfect. I have 1800 miles on mine and most of them where hard ones. I have 2 girls 5 &7 and they love going for rides. I also new that there was going to be problems with the first year machine but I was willing to take the chance because it was a Honda. Pick the rig that fits what you want it to do and fix the little problems that come up. What ever you end up getting have fun with it and your family. life is to short.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like x 10 brother. I bought my P1K sight unseen and regretted it from the time I had to stop on the side of the road and Loctite my windshield fasteners to keep them from falling apart. If I'd known how many fasteners would've fallen off of this pig, I'd have bought stock in Loctite!!!

Sounds to me like your dealer did a pi$$ poor job assembling and installing accessories on your rig.

Mine is almost a year old and nothing has fell off yet, I install my own accessories so if they get loose it's on me.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Same boat! Rebuilt 01 xterra for wife 98' cummins for me. I can afford a new truck but then family would sit at home so I could drive something pretty to work.

I had a Xterra a few years back. Sure wish I never sold it.

advertisement