P1000m5 Overheating.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Ok so I got the snorkel and vent lines on and was finally able to run some mud puddles the way your supposed to run them in a sxs. Anyway so like everything a new problem arose. It seems that the mud getting into the radiator will start to cause it to overheat. The mud is pretty soupy so it's not just thick mud that I could pull off the radiator or anything. I know I can pressure wash the mud out but I can't do that after every puddle I go through. What are you guys doing to solve this issue.

Thanks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok so I got the snorkel and vent lines on and was finally able to run some mud puddles the way your supposed to run them in a sxs. Anyway so like everything a new problem arose. It seems that the mud getting into the radiator will start to cause it to overheat. The mud is pretty soupy so it's not just thick mud that I could pull off the radiator or anything. I know I can pressure wash the mud out but I can't do that after every puddle I go through. What are you guys doing to solve this issue.

Thanks.
@joeymt33 brings a 12v water pump for puddle or stream cleanings. Worked well many of us used it. Mud in radiator hasn't been much of a problem for us other then following others close

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's odd that some have this issue and some don't. I hit mud all the time (as in go out of my way to hit puddles) and have never had this problem. Be careful with pressure washer so you don't bend any fins.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Those guys that have aftermarket bumpers or bash plates covering the bottom of the stock bumper have less trouble with this.

Just for a test, duct tape the louvers under the winch outlet hole on the stock bumper and test ride again.

Also, I second the be careful with the pressure washer. The mud sometimes hardens on the back of the radiator so it may not appear very dirty.

For the portable water pump, go to Walmart and get a marine bilge pump and power it with a 12v cig socket and put about a 10' hose on it. It's a life saver when miles from camp.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those guys that have aftermarket bumpers or bash plates covering the bottom of the stock bumper have less trouble with this.

Just for a test, duct tape the louvers under the winch outlet hole on the stock bumper and test ride again.

Also, I second the be careful with the pressure washer. The mud sometimes hardens on the back of the radiator so it may not appear very dirty.

For the portable water pump, go to Walmart and get a marine bilge pump and power it with a 12v cig socket and put about a 10' hose on it. It's a life saver when miles from camp.
It also makes a great portable shower unit lol.

J

JTW

I had no issues once I taped my bumper louvers!

J

Jshell3

I don't know this for sure... a member at the Takeover looked my 17 over and mentioned that I had a deflection piece low in my grill that the 16's didn't.

Didn't matter. I still overheated on a slow climb. Burped / spilled antifreeze on the ground.
But, after that, I NEVER had the heat climb above 2 bars. (Muddy or not)

I've seen this topic a couple times.. Once they throw up the green stuff, you're much less likely to have an overheat issue again.

I forget now but the first guy that I was aware bought the LE, had an overheat issue day 1.
He was perplexed (as he should be).
But since his hasn't had an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

I don't know this for sure... a memeber at the Takeover looked my 17 over and mentioned that I had a deflection piece low in my grill that the 16's didn't.

Didn't matter. I still overheated on a slow climb. Burped / spilled antifreeze on the ground. NEVER had the heat climb above 2 bars from then on. (Muddy or not)

I've seen this topic a couple times.. Once they throw up the green stuff, they are much less likely to have the overheat issue again.
@knuckledeep and my radiators were plugged!!

Reactions: Koda and joeymt33
riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know this for sure... a member at the Takeover looked my 17 over and mentioned that I had a deflection piece low in my grill that the 16's didn't.

Didn't matter. I still overheated on a slow climb. Burped / spilled antifreeze on the ground.

I've seen this topic a couple times.. Once they throw up the green stuff, you're much less likely to have an overheat issue again.

I forget now but the first guy that I was aware bought the LE, had an overheat issue day 1.

I had an overheat issue the second day of owning my LE, after it cooled I have not been able to replicate it. My guess is air in the system that it must have burped out.

J

Jshell3

I had an overheat issue the second day of owning my LE, after it cooled I have not been able to replicate it. My guess is air in the system that it must have burped out.
Thank you for that... Is your Avatar a picture of a tiny fish, and a tiny beer?

advertisement
riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine never lost any coolant. Just the temp light came on while idling in front of the garage with the lights on while I made room to park in the garage. When I shut it down I could hear the coolant gurgling pretty good. Pretty sure it was working air out of the system as I have tried to make it happen again and it won't even come off two bars on the gauge.

Reactions: Jshell3
Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City

Mine overheated Saturday and burped out antifreeze and I didn't really ride it Sunday. There was a lot of mud in between all the fins. I sprayed it down pretty good with my pressure washer but did it with the plastic on so I didn't get to close to damage the fins. Idk we will see if it happens again. I was thinking of putting a screen over the radiator so if it did overheat I could take off the screen and clean it but I'm not sure if that would really help. The forum doesn't seem to want to let my upload a video but I have a couple of us going through the puddle

J

Jshell3

Mine overheated Saturday and burped out antifreeze and I didn't really ride it Sunday. There was a lot of mud in between all the fins. I sprayed it down pretty good with my pressure washer but did it with the plastic on so I didn't get to close to damage the fins. Idk we will see if it happens again. I was thinking of putting a screen over the radiator so if it did overheat I could take off the screen and clean it but I'm not sure if that would really help. The forum doesn't seem to want to let my upload a video but I have a couple of us going through the puddle
Videos have to be first posted to Youtube (or similar), then "linked" here. Or "shared" as the kids call it, today.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
IVE

Ive thought about doing this too. In theory you could block it off and let the fan suck the air around it in to keep it cool. Your fan would work more but you wont have to worry about the radiator getting plugged.
hose pipe would be better to get the mud out more volume of water to flush the mud out with out the force to bend the fins.

I plugged up my radiator at windrock and had to limp out. We didnt have a hose or water gun or anything. it took forever....

Reactions: JTW
Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
IVE

Ive thought about doing this too. In theory you could block it off and let the fan suck the air around it in to keep it cool. Your fan would work more but you wont have to worry about the radiator getting plugged.
hose pipe would be better to get the mud out more volume of water to flush the mud out with out the force to bend the fins.

I plugged up my radiator at windrock and had to limp out. We didnt have a hose or water gun or anything. it took forever....

Thanks for the tip. I'll try just the hose. But still might make some kind of screen.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
Thanks for the tip. I'll try just the hose. But still might make some kind of screen.
I think im going to zip tie some screen door mesh or cellophane behind my grill just to test the theory out. worst case with the screen you can take some material with you on the trail and swap it out once its covered.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I think im going to zip tie some screen door mesh or cellophane behind my grill just to test the theory out. worst case with the screen you can take some material with you on the trail and swap it out once its covered.

That's a good idea. I will probably try something like that. Let me know how it works