P1000 Ordering New Trailer for P1000-5

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate having to borrow other people's stuff so I need a trailer to be able to visit other places to ride and take to a dealer if I need dealer service. My Big Tex trailer which I love and have had for 15 years is only 5X8. I am going to order the 35SA (77"x12 ft) in the picture except adding the side spare mount and a custom 1/8" solid steel plate across the front to cut down on gravel damage to the cargo and also cut down on the mud thrown up on these dirt roads I travel. I ordered the steel plate on my 5x8 Big Tex and it has worked very well. My question is about the rear loading ramp. It is 4 ft tall and heavy as hell. I could have them make the back gate 18", 24", or 36" tall instead. How tall would the ramp need to be to keep the P1K-5 from dragging while loading and unloading? The trailer will cost $1250.00 + $35 for the steel plate. Comes with 2" pipe top rail, 3500# axel, bearing buddies, and radial trailer tires.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate having to borrow other people's stuff so I need a trailer to be able to visit other places to ride and take to a dealer if I need dealer service. My Big Tex trailer which I love and have had for 15 years is only 5X8. I am going to order the 35SA (77"x12 ft) in the picture except adding the side spare mount and a custom 1/8" solid steel plate across the front to cut down on gravel damage to the cargo and also cut down on the mud thrown up on these dirt roads I travel. I ordered the steel plate on my 5x8 Big Tex and it has worked very well. My question is about the rear loading ramp. It is 4 ft tall and heavy as hell. I could have them make the back gate 18", 24", or 36" tall instead. How tall would the ramp need to be to keep the P1K-5 from dragging while loading and unloading? The trailer will cost $1250.00 + $35 for the steel plate. Comes with 2" pipe top rail, 3500# axel, bearing buddies, and radial trailer tires.

View attachment 16537
I would go with the 36" tail gate in case you ever needed to put something else on it. As for the weight of the tail gate look up gorilla lift it will reduce the weight almost to a pound you could also look into spring assist setup. I have a spring assist on my tail gate and I can put my foot under the tailgate and flick it up to my hands with no problem. As for the tailgate construction you have the vertical supports so you might want to ask them if they could weld some horizontal ones to them because the weight of the rig will bend down the mesh. By the way Big text trailers are awesome!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would go with the 36" tail gate in case you ever needed to put something else on it. As for the weight of the tail gate look up gorilla lift it will reduce the weight almost to a pound you could also look into spring assist setup. I have a spring assist on my tail gate and I can put my foot under the tailgate and flick it up to my hands with no problem. As for the tailgate construction you have the vertical supports so you might want to ask them if they could weld some horizontal ones to them because the weight of the rig will bend down the mesh. By the way Big text trailers are awesome!
I said 36" but if you get the lift assist I would defenatly go taller on the tail gate.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 16537
Yeah. I had the same problem when I got my p1k3. Only had a 8x8 trailer. I went with a sure trac 7x 12 square tube top. Spring assist gate. It too has the 3500# axle. Gvwr is 2990 to get away without needing brakes. Buddy of mine had a big tex trailer. They are nice.

Reactions: Jbird
F

fish

May 20, 2016
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like you found just the right trailer to fit your needs. That's what it's all about.

I just came back from buying a trailer for my 700-4 (if the thing ever comes in) and went with the 82" X 14' deck in galvanized single 3500lb. axel. Went with the 14' with the side ramps and rear gate to allow for the 420TRX across the front and the 700-4 loaded from the back. Wanted the galvanized so I don't have to worry about painting every few years. $3095.00 plus taxes. This exchange rate on the Canadian dollar is killing me. Lol.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you found just the right trailer to fit your needs. That's what it's all about.

I just came back from buying a trailer for my 700-4 (if the thing ever comes in) and went with the 82" X 14' deck in galvanized single 3500lb. axel. Went with the 14' with the side ramps and rear gate to allow for the 420TRX across the front and the 700-4 loaded from the back. Wanted the galvanized so I don't have to worry about painting every few years. $3095.00 plus taxes. This exchange rate on the Canadian dollar is killing me. Lol.
We use to have one like you just bought for carrying three 4 wheelers. It wasn't as nice as yours with everything galvanized. Ours was green paint and was about ready to repaint when we sold it. It wasn't a Big Tex and didn't pull as well as our 5 X 8 and those ramps rattled like crazy. Big Tex trailers pull like they aren't even back there.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You could drive up 24" but go as long as you can so you can use it for other things. I'd agree with the 36" everyone is suggesting sounds about right. @sharp brought up a good point with the assist though. Taller generally has more problems with welds on the hinges and gate locks breaking as well as gate flex but big Tex are good trailers so less of an issue however something to consider. Thats a perfect size for the pioneer, we have that same design but 10' and it's a pain. We generally have to use an inferior trailer become of it. That's a great deal. I don't know if trailers that way are cheaper on average but that's a 25-2700 dollar trailer here. Good luck!

Reactions: Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could drive up 24" but go as long as you can so you can use it for other things. I'd agree with the 36" everyone is suggesting sounds about right. @sharp brought up a good point with the assist though. Taller generally has more problems with welds on the hinges and gate locks breaking as well as gate flex but big Tex are good trailers so less of an issue however something to consider. Thats a perfect size for the pioneer, we have that same design but 10' and it's a pain. We generally have to use an inferior trailer become of it. That's a great deal. I don't know if trailers that way are cheaper on average but that's a 25-2700 dollar trailer here. Good luck!
Big Tex has dealers are all over the country but their headquarters is in Mt. Pleasant, TX which is about 150 miles and is on the way to our son's house in Tyler, Tx. We'll either get him to pick it up when he comes to visit or just drive down to get it like we did the last one. I'm going to check with them and see how much they charge for the gate assist. They list it as an option but I've never seen one with the assist on it.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This reminds me of a thread we were talking a while back about a 40k harley on a $500 trailer. I think ole jbird found just the right fit!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Doesn't it though @sharp lol. Except my trailer is now a 200$ trailer after pulling 15 miles through the woods with the p1k that's a great deal those!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
advertisement
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Gorilla lift is the only way to go. I highly recommend them and you can get them for 150 on sale at northern tool. Takes about an hour to install. Well worth the money in my eyes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great info guys I haven't even thought of that. I've only had a couple that come with the hinge springs but I like it. Thanks guys.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a single axle Rice 7x12 with removable side ramps. Has to be the heaviest duty (and heaviest) trailer I've ever pulled. Weighs nearly 1200lb empty. Hauls my p1k-5 perfectly. As a matter of fact, she got new shoes today before our move to Wisconsin next week.

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 16537

I have the BigTex 35SA. It has the 36" tailgate. It works great for loading and unloading. I would not go with the shorter tailgate or the folding one that they offer. The folding one has a lower weight rating and the heft of the P1k would definitely stress the hinges.

I got the 14' model and I am wishing I had gone with the 16' with tandem axles. The extra room on the trailer would be nice should I decide to add the 4 wheeler that my wife is lobbying for.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the BigTex 35SA. It has the 36" tailgate. It works great for loading and unloading. I would not go with the shorter tailgate or the folding one that they offer. The folding one has a lower weight rating and the heft of the P1k would definitely stress the hinges.

I got the 14' model and I am wishing I had gone with the 16' with tandem axles. The extra room on the trailer would be nice should I decide to add the 4 wheeler that my wife is lobbying for.
I've got a tandem 14ft and I can fit the p1k and a honda Forman on it at the same time.( the Forman is turned long ways)

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dragging up an old thread here. I'm looking to replace my trailer with something lighter weight. Any opinions?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Aluminum, you can get almost any size you can in steel and it's 20ish% lighter which means whatever the trailer doesn't weight you gain in carrying capacity.

Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Naturally. I was curious if anybody had an opinion in a particular brand. My current trailer is at least 1200lb, I also don't need one that's 8.5 ft wide.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Naturally. I was curious if anybody had an opinion in a particular brand. My current trailer is at least 1200lb, I also don't need one that's 8.5 ft wide.
I just bought a pretty nice 6x10 aluminum that works great. Very light can easily move it by hand. Was $1715.00 out the door cash new. I had an enclosed and truck camper but sold those for a toy hauler

advertisement