P500 OOPS,FELL IN MUD HOLE WATER IN EXHAUST

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I went in my 1st mud hole I mean HOLE. thought it wa as an innocent water puddle then bam! Muddy water to my knees wrenched out kept it running then it stalled in the water. Now I have an snorkel kit and I checked the air box and no water no sign at all but there was water coming out if the exhaust. When I got home tried to start it a couple of times in luck just water dripping out of exhaust. Think in fried some electrical or am I sunk. 😣

• Wow
Reactions: rtn001
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Shouldn't have fried anything, a lot of us have been in the same situation without harming the machine.

Reactions: rtn001
advertisement
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Anytime you think there is a possibility of water in engine never try starting until you remove spark plug and crank over until all water is evacuated. Hydro lock can be fatal. Seen this to many times on boats.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
You can drop the drain plug and check for water. You can also pull the spark plug and turn it over to blow any water out of the cylinder but you already cranked it over so I’m guessing there is no water in there or it would have locked up. I would start with the basics 1st check for spark and make sure you don’t have water in the cylinder or crank case. If you have spark and everything is turning over okay I would think you may have water in your gas tank. Try draining your gas tank into a clean bucket and check for water. I doubt you hurt anything electronic, these things run in the water and mud all the rims with no issues.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
All of the fuses are in the battery box, in behind the passenger side rear wheel. It's a pain to get to, but you should check those fuses
Maybe a fuse or relay somewhere? I'm gonna have my mechanic take the exhaust off and check for mud/water... there's none in the airbox.
It's a big job to remove the exhaust, sometimes its much easier to raise the front of the machine to drain the exhaust. But that is not your problem. Check your fuses first...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'd drain that gas tank if you didn't extend the vent. If you had water to your knees then that vent line was under water. Electrical should be fine, I've had water pouring through the dash and over the hood before and it never hurt anything electrical. Once you get it running again I'd also change out the gear oil in the differentials as their lines are set pretty low from the factory as well. Thankfully you snorkeled it but unfortunately stopped short on the other extensions.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I'd drain that gas tank if you didn't extend the vent. If you had water to your knees then that vent line was under water. Electrical should be fine, I've had water pouring through the dash and over the hood before and it never hurt anything electrical. Once you get it running again I'd also change out the gear oil in the differentials as their lines are set pretty low from the factory as well. Thankfully you snorkeled it but unfortunately stopped short on the other extensions.
What Trigger said👍WB

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
This is what they found in my gas tank differentials clean engine no water that they can tell but they found this amount of mud and water in my tank now they got it running and they got it running good they said but my question to you guys on here should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump ? I know the fuel pump has a sock attached to it I don't think the sock is replaceable should I go ahead replace the whole fuel pump with sock any help would be super appreciated
Image 0

Reactions: Mudwing
MB_Rider

MB_Rider

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2019
Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I would just to be on the safe side. If the 500 a separate fuel filter separate from the pump I would change that too. Your machine maybe okay and might not give you issues but in my mind the pump was sucking that stuff up and could cause troubles in the future.

• Dislike
Reactions: rtn001 and Steve00
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I'm on the other side of the fence. If it's running fine then go with it. If the pump fails later then change it but I highly doubt it has any damage.

advertisement