P1000 Oil light comes on after it warms up

C

Cyberdude

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2024
Pevely Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 1000-5 deluxe with 3500 miles. If I pull it out of the garage and let it run the oil light comes on when it gets warm enough for the fan to kick on, but has never gone over 2 bars. If I drive it (before the light comes on) it never comes on as long as I am doing about 10 miles an hour or more no matter how long I drive it. If I stop and sit for a minute or two the oil light will come on and even if I drive it with the light on it never goes off unless I turn it off and back on. When the light is on it does not effect how it runs or shifts or anything. I took it to the dealer and the only code it had was for a low voltage. They recommended changing the EOT sensor which I did and that did nothing. I talked to two other service techs at different dealerships and they could not offer any solutions. I bought the machine used and there is a light bar and winch installed if that could possibly have something to do with it. I thought every time the fan came on when I was sitting the oil light would come on but I cannot replicate that every time. I have put 1000 miles on the machine with this going on without any notice other than the annoying light! Yes the oil is full and I have even changed it and the sub trans. What should I try? Thanks.

Reactions: EMAW
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I'd start by unhooking everything that's not stock, electrically, to see if that solves the problem.

Reactions: ODAMO
EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What engine oil are you using?

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Check the ground next to the starter.

Put a socket/wrench on it and make It's tight, no with your hand

They've been know to come loose and cause all sorts of problems. Do you have any stalling issues as well?

Also check battery terminal tightness

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check the ground next to the starter.

Put a socket/wrench on it and make It's tight, no with your hand

They've been know to come loose and cause all sorts of problems. Do you have any stalling issues as well?

Also check battery terminal tightness
The battery terminals on my Talon need to be checked regularly.

Reactions: Rayger143
C

Cyberdude

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2024
Pevely Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The battery terminals on my Talon need to be checked regularly.
I did check battery terminals but not starter, I'll try that. No stalling or any issues with the way it runs or shifts.

Reactions: EMAW and CID
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
You say that you bought it used ? Do you know what was done to the machine before you bought it. And was this problem present as soon as you bought it. Why I'am asking is because if the previous owner has done any work to the clutches you need to quite possibliy have to pull it apart and pull the clutch basket off and check to see if the o-ring thats inside has been pinched when it was put back together. I'm not saying this is your problem but you need to find out a bit more info.

Reactions: EMAW and CID
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You say that you bought it used ? Do you know what was done to the machine before you bought it. And was this problem present as soon as you bought it. Why I'am asking is because if the previous owner has done any work to the clutches you need to quite possibliy have to pull it apart and pull the clutch basket off and check to see if the o-ring thats inside has been pinched when it was put back together. I'm not saying this is your problem but you need to find out a bit more info.

If he was indeed losing oil pressure the unit will shut off.

advertisement
C

Cyberdude

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2024
Pevely Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No previous work was done to the clutches. It was January when I bought it so it was cold outside and I didn't use it much and then parked for a few months so I don' know if it was immediate or not.

Reactions: CID
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
No previous work was done to the clutches. It was January when I bought it so it was cold outside and I didn't use it much and then parked for a few months so I don' know if it was immediate or not.
If I was you & if possible ,I'd be asking the person who sold it to you if this was a issue before you bought it. This way you'd know where to start and go from now that it's your's. I'd wouldn't be mad at the person, it would be for my knowledge and how to move forward.

Reactions: CID
C

Cyberdude

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2024
Pevely Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I was you & if possible ,I'd be asking the person who sold it to you if this was a issue before you bought it. This way you'd know where to start and go from now that it's your's. I'd wouldn't be mad at the person, it would be for my knowledge and how to move forward.
I did and of course they said it wasn't on when they owned it. I tried to ease into the conversation so they wouldn't get defensive like I was blaming them.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don’t leave us hanging like others do!
Please, let us know the outcome!

When you have the next problem, and search here for help…. And find where someone else had a similar problem but never posted their solution to the issue. Then surprise, your F’d again!

C

Cyberdude

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2024
Pevely Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t leave us hanging like others do!
Please, let us know the outcome!

When you have the next problem, and search here for help…. And find where someone else had a similar problem but never posted their solution to the issue. Then surprise, your F’d again!
This machine is at our property in the country so I don't see it daily. I tried different scenarios, like stopping in gear or stopping in gear with the brake on but other than the original problem I couldn't find a common cause for the light to come on. But I did notice that when it is hot and the oil light is coming on if I hold the RPM's up to about 1800 - 2000 the light never comes on, but if I let it go back to idle within about 10 seconds the oil light will come on! When it is at operating temp, the RPM's at idle are at one bar above the 1000 mark. What is normal RPM when at idle in park? Could a low idle cause the oil light to come on?