Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
A flop/SPIM can put oil into the filter box.
Just thinking out loud:

I noticed the loss of oil on the first day of the takeover, I hadn't flopped by then. I know there wasn't any oil in the box before that because I had cleaned the air filter just before that.
Despite Dorothy's moment of panic we didn't flop on the last ride, but the oil is below the dipstick (I checked it before the ride), and the box does have quite a bit of oil in it.

Actually, I hadn't looked in the air box since the takeover, so that oil could've come from being on it's side then.

I haven't found where the oil all over the back of the motor is coming from. The throttle body and starter were particularly covered.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I know there wasn't any oil in the box before that because I had cleaned the air filter just before that.
You answered your own question w/o knowing it. Putting too much or too heavy of oil on the airfilter can cause excessive vacuum which will pull engine oil thru the breather, then as the filter gets more saturated by engine oil it pulls even more.

Clean the air filter (or replace), filter box and drain tube, fill the engine back up and run it.

FWIW, I've done this same thing.....oops

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
You answered your own question w/o knowing it. Putting too much or too heavy of oil on the airfilter can cause excessive vacuum which will pull engine oil thru the breather, then as the filter gets more saturated by engine oil it pulls even more.

Clean the air filter (or replace), filter box and drain tube, fill the engine back up and run it.

FWIW, I've done this same thing.....oops
Hmmm.. I had never thought of that. When I cleaned the filter I used the Green Honda Filter oil, and I didn't use anymore than usual. I hope that is all that is. Any thoughts on the oil on the back of the motor. I know it could be the shaft seal and it's probably leaking a little, but where else could it be coming from.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Hmmm.. I had never thought of that. When I cleaned the filter I used the Green Honda Filter oil, and I didn't use anymore than usual. I hope that is all that is. Any thoughts on the oil on the back of the motor. I know it could be the shaft seal and it's probably leaking a little, but where else could it be coming from.
When it happened to me the back of the engine was covered also, I'm guessing it was just leaking out of the airbox.

Another thing that can cause it.... too much oil in the engine and/or extended runs with high engine rpms

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
When it happened to me the back of the engine was covered also, I'm guessing it was just leaking out of the airbox.

Another thing that can cause it.... too much oil in the engine and/or extended runs with high engine rpms
I don't think it had too much oil, but we did do a lot of road riding at takeover. I guess I need to re-seal the air box. If oil can get out water can get in.

Y'all have given me a lot to conceder. I was expecting someone to say blow-by is causing the oil in the box, but no one has so I'm a little bit relieved.
Thanks.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I don't think it had too much oil, but we did do a lot of road riding at takeover. I guess I need to re-seal the air box. If oil can get out water can get in.

Y'all have given me a lot to conceder. I was expecting someone to say blow-by is causing the oil in the box, but no one has so I'm a little bit relieved.
Thanks.
compression test doesn't lie

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Thanks.
Ada boy, get that new Talon. 😉😉

advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X

Thanks.
Um...yah, it's blow by.....the motor's junk.....better pawn it and get a new Talon ;)

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
compression test doesn't lie
As previously proven on numerous occasions here I am an idiot! I didn't even think about that. In my defense I haven't done a compression test on anything in decades though. I was surprised I actually had a gauge. Thank you for the suggestions.

Results
KIMG2820

And holding.

P.s. now I gotta replace a spark plug. But for those that can read a plug does this tell you anything.

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
As previously proven on numerous occasions here I am an idiot! I didn't even think about that. In my defense I haven't done a compression test on anything in decades though. I was surprised I actually had a gauge. Thank you for the suggestions.

Results
View attachment 440137
And holding.

P.s. now I gotta replace a spark plug. But for those that can read a plug does this tell you anything.View attachment 440138
Tells me it's not burning oil

advertisement