Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For a complete oil change, the tusk kit that @kandt posted has all 3 crush washers.
If you read some of the amazon reviews, they are missing 1.
I tried to look at most of the different kits parts listing from amazon.
Same problem, missing the 3rd crush washer.
Amazon has them lined up as if they some how go to the filter.
But, we know there are 3 drains for a complete oil change.
The Edwards kit has 3 in the picture, but no parts list saying what is in it.
A reviewer said that it does in fact come with 3 crush washers.
Double check what they say comes in the kit before you buy.
Yes, most of the time you would be able to reuse the washer.
But I would rather change it.
Have a good day

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Be careful if you buy off Amazon. I bought this one:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VB7CT/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Even though one picture shows the O-rings it didn't come with them. I called the seller and he said they are not included in his kit and that many vendors use the same ad. He agreed to ship them to me anyway.
I just got a kit off Amazon and it had everything except one of the crush washers. That Honda oil is really nothing special except it says Honda on it. Maybe after the warranty is off I might switch to a high quality but cheaper alternative.

advertisement
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Look up "Storm Lake Honda", I believe they are on E-bay. For the P700 they have very good pricing on a oil change kit which includes Filter/two metal crush washers/4qt. oil/one rubber o-ring. Last price i paid was $48 and that included shipping. They also have very good pricing on Hand SxS assesories.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone sell oil change kits that include oil, filter, O-rings etc for a 1000-5, that is cheaper than going to a Honda dealer and buying everything separately? Also trans and sub-trans kits where everything is included?
A friend of mine buys 1 of the oil change kits from Amazon and has pretty good luck with it. It comes with 8 qts of oil which is enough to do engine, clutch, and sub transmission as they all use the same oil. There is a good write up on here about changing the oil, but I usually put a little over 6 qts for the engine/clutch which run and drain together and the most of the remaining oil will go in the sub transmission which is separate. He messed up once and put the extra oil in engine/clutch and we had to take it out before he ran it.

R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look up "Storm Lake Honda", I believe they are on E-bay. For the P700 they have very good pricing on a oil change kit which includes Filter/two metal crush washers/4qt. oil/one rubber o-ring. Last price i paid was $48 and that included shipping. They also have very good pricing on Hand SxS assesories.
I like yur suggestion. I actually purchased my P 1000-5 at Storm Lake Honda last December

HolySmit

HolySmit

Nov 7, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the Honda brand oil a full synthetic? Is there anything special about it other than the name on the jug? The kits are nice, but unless it’s damaged somehow you really don’t need a new crush washer every oil change.

H

HondaTech

Is the Honda brand oil a full synthetic? Is there anything special about it other than the name on the jug? The kits are nice, but unless it’s damaged somehow you really don’t need a new crush washer every oil change.

Yes you do.
I dont torque drain plugs, but for anyone who does, reusing crush washers can cause over torque and thread stripping.

99 cents for a new washer isnt worth a $100 repair.

HolySmit

HolySmit

Nov 7, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I talked to my service guy from the Local Honda dealership, he also happens to live down the street from me. He said that Honda strongly discourages the use of anything but their conventional motor oil and says absolutely no to synthetics due to the transmission I took his word for it and bought the Honda oil, but has anybody else heard any expounding data on this?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I talked to my service guy from the Local Honda dealership, he also happens to live down the street from me. He said that Honda strongly discourages the use of anything but their conventional motor oil and says absolutely no to synthetics due to the transmission I took his word for it and bought the Honda oil, but has anybody else heard any expounding data on this?
Some are using synthetic in the diffs and sub transmission, the sub transmission oil is separate from the engine/clutches oil.

advertisement