P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

H

HondaTech

We've got great deals on a few '16 models and '17 models are price accordingly. I did drive a '18 model today, just around the warehouse and I didn't feel the shudder from a stop like usual. It almost felt like driving a stick car, like your gradually releasing the clutch till your moving.

If I was buying a new P1K a '16 would look real good. Except for the water ingestion and the radiator deflector the rest would be covered by Honda. The other 2 are a $50 expense at most without installation, anyone could do the water fix and the deflector isn't real crazy.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've got great deals on a few '16 models and '17 models are price accordingly. I did drive a '18 model today, just around the warehouse and I didn't feel the shudder from a stop like usual. It almost felt like driving a stick car, like your gradually releasing the clutch till your moving.

If I was buying a new P1K a '16 would look real good. Except for the water ingestion and the radiator deflector the rest would be covered by Honda. The other 2 are a $50 expense at most without installation, anyone could do the water fix and the deflector isn't real crazy.
I bet you could have the deflector and water ingestion thrown in on the deal when buying.

Reactions: sharp
H

HondaTech

If you were to purchase any year 1000 brand new today, you would have the option of have these campaigns completed before delivery to you.
If a sales guy is waiting on his commission, don't you think he will push a little harder to get you in and out first?
We're at the mercy of Honda tbh. I was told today I can't order any more heat kits till next week. I've got 7 units in the shop for them, 1 coming Friday, 2 more that are schedule for their first service to have it done and another guy came in today and asked about it. I've got the 12 covered for now, but this clutch thing is going to keep us busy. Plus I was I informed today that for awhile the clutch fix will only be honored for customers with slipping issues or new verified sales.

Reactions: pct and sharp
M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can anyone recommend a good deal to perform the clutch fix in PA? I'm in NE PA, not too far from Binghamton NY.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Where are you finding a 2016 priced $600 below an 2018? Theres a dealer in Baltimore selling a 2016 deluxe for $11,800. That's like $3500 under the 2017 model
I have never seen a 2016/17 1000-5 Deluxe sell for less than $14,700.00, you can get the 2018 for about $15,500.

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
advertisement
C

Chet

Jun 23, 2017
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I paid $600 plus tax. Did anyone ever get a card or conformation paperwork ect? I never did
That's the same as I paid. I called Honda customer service about the clutch problem. I had to give my VIN number and when I did it came up on their records that I had the 4 year extended warranty. With that being said, I have not had any clutch problems yet. Fingers crossed that I will not.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's the same as I paid. I called Honda customer service about the clutch problem. I had to give my VIN number and when I did it came up on their records that I had the 4 year extended warranty. With that being said, I have not had any clutch problems yet. Fingers crossed that I will not.
It's on record that I paid. I also have not had an issue whatsoever

Reactions: popeye and Chet
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I just got back from H/M trails, and while there saw two P1000-5 at the resort we stayed at. Another guest was about to take his brand new machine on the trails for the first time with his family, so he couldn't give me much feedback. The resort had one,(2017) and a guy I met on a group ride- he was riding with a buddy in an rzr1000 had one. The employees at the resort said they wouldn't use the honda if they could avoid it cuz the clutch chatter, and "jerkiness" was too annoying to deal with vs using the terrex for work around the resort. The guy riding in the rzr, said his 6 week old 2018 P1000-5 was sitting at the dealer with fried clutches. I guess what I'm saying, is that honda still has problems with the P1000, and it may not be as isolated as we're being led to believe, and, one would assume a brand new 2018 would have all the 'fixes' installed.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Let's put this into perspective...
My buddy snapped a belt on his 2016 ranger Highlifter edition, so I had him winch it on a trailer and bring it over! Turns out his secondary clutch was destroyed, the belt wrapped so tight around it had to be cut off, only to find out plastic rollers snapped and the metal posts deformed and chewed away the roller tracks! The debris from the secondary severely scared the primary sheaves, both inner and outer and pitted the outer casing of the primary!
Around a thousand dollars worth of damage to fix!

In addition, at 2200 miles all wheel bearings are bad and steering is loose due to wear items in the steering linkage!

My 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe has none of these conditions with over 2800 miles and has been driven much harder!

As far as shifting, it gets smoother in auto, but in manual mode with the right technique it is very smooth!

It's not the Honda of old, but is still a Honda and through comparison with others is still one of the most enjoyable utility sxs's out there!

J

JTW

Let's put this into perspective...
My buddy snapped a belt on his 2016 ranger Highlifter edition, so I had him winch it on a trailer and bring it over! Turns out his secondary clutch was destroyed, the belt wrapped so tight around it had to be cut off, only to find out plastic rollers snapped and the metal posts deformed and chewed away the roller tracks! The debris from the secondary severely scared the primary sheaves, both inner and outer and pitted the outer casing of the primary!
Around a thousand dollars worth of damage to fix!

In addition, at 2200 miles all wheel bearings are bad and steering is loose due to wear items in the steering linkage!

My 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe has none of these conditions with over 2800 miles and has been driven much harder!

As far as shifting, it gets smoother in auto, but in manual mode with the right technique it is very smooth!

It's not the Honda of old, but is still a Honda and through comparison with others is still one of the most enjoyable utility sxs's out there!
Preach my Egyptian brother!!

Reactions: Eltobgi

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got back from H/M trails, and while there saw two P1000-5 at the resort we stayed at. Another guest was about to take his brand new machine on the trails for the first time with his family, so he couldn't give me much feedback. The resort had one,(2017) and a guy I met on a group ride- he was riding with a buddy in an rzr1000 had one. The employees at the resort said they wouldn't use the honda if they could avoid it cuz the clutch chatter, and "jerkiness" was too annoying to deal with vs using the terrex for work around the resort. The guy riding in the rzr, said his 6 week old 2018 P1000-5 was sitting at the dealer with fried clutches. I guess what I'm saying, is that honda still has problems with the P1000, and it may not be as isolated as we're being led to believe, and, one would assume a brand new 2018 would have all the 'fixes' installed.
When I read about the clutch "fix", I was skeptical. Extra oil flow may help keep clutches cooler during easy, flat surface riding but it doesn't take a genius to know that if your engine is spinning at 2500 rpm and your clutches are rubbing surfaces while not turning at all, catastrophic heat from the friction will build up in seconds. It's just not designed for heavy use and abuse like an RZR. I think if it's used in a practical manner like on flat roads and never towing anything, it's a machine that will probably hold up like an RZR or similar machine. Just use it within it's design parameters and I doubt there will be any more problems than seen with other SXS.

J

JTW

When I read about the clutch "fix", I was skeptical. Extra oil flow may help keep clutches cooler during easy, flat surface riding but it doesn't take a genius to know that if your engine is spinning at 2500 rpm and your clutches are rubbing surfaces while not turning at all, catastrophic heat from the friction will build up in seconds. It's just not designed for heavy use and abuse like an RZR. I think if it's used in a practical manner like on flat roads and never towing anything, it's a machine that will probably hold up like an RZR or similar machine. Just use it within it's design parameters and I doubt there will be any more problems than seen with other SXS.
The problem with that is there are guys being every bit as harsh with these as any other machine out there and they're holding up fine. Then you have a joe nobody get on a brand new machine in the yard and back up over a rose bush and burn out the clutches. There's an issue and once that is resolved it we should see much better clutch results. I get what you're saying and sure a pourpose build machine is better than a hybrid. But I would rather have gears than a belt, it just needs some revisions to get it where it needs to be by bullet proof Honda standards. I will say... my new clutches don't feel as solid as they did before they were replaced. That makes me really wonder about the clutch packs.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch fix IS the fix, if you screw up a clutch pack after this you're doing it intentionally. There's no way to do it accidentally after the fix.

You'll even get an idiot light warning you before any damage occurs. So if it comes on you're still an idiot or there is an extreme circumstance. Stop keep it running and let it cool off the go again.

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds like the clutches will get an update as well by end of year so possibly the last of the fix series. I guess we'll see

advertisement